• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JL Calf vs. Museum Calf: Anyone Prefer the Former?

pledge

Reaction score
Does anyone prefer the plain calf vs. the museum calf, especially in black? I was told by a WB SA that they would only be carrying the Chapel in plain calf going forward b/c the museum calf looked "cloudy". Thoughts?

pledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'm not that enamored of the museum calf. Sometimes it looks OK, other times gaudy/gimmicky. (Sorry, Lobb fans -- just MHO.)

The black museum calf strikes me as more interesting than some of the other shades.

I tend to agree DocHolliday, but I actually think the worst case to be made for Museum calf is in black.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a pair of Brooklands in the plum museum, and don't see what's particularly gaudy about it?

pledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I have a pair of Brooklands in the plum museum, and don't see what's particularly gaudy about it?

Maybe not gaudy...just a little mottled. This is not so much the case with the plum museum as it is with, say, the Parisian brown museum.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pledge
I tend to agree DocHolliday, but I actually think the worst case to be made for Museum calf is in black.

Why so? Do you find it particularly conspicuous? I don't have that much experience with it, having just seen it in shops. I don't think I'd buy a pair, unless maybe they were on some absurd discount, but I kinda like the idea of messing around with the concept of the staid black shoe. Fits my mindset of "dressing up" in the most casual fashion possible.

I agree about the Parisian brown museum.

pledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Why so? Do you find it particularly conspicuous? I don't have that much experience with it, having just seen it in shops. I don't think I'd buy a pair, unless maybe they were on some absurd discount, but I kinda like the idea of messing around with the concept of the staid black shoe. Fits my mindset of "dressing up" in the most casual fashion possible.

I agree about the Parisian brown museum.

Interesting thought, but I think that a black shoe should be black. Any sort of coloration reminds me of a leather that Prada might use. Besides, when you seem them next to each other (the JL's, that is), the black museum really doesn't stand out enough to "overcome" the sense that something is "off". Just my 2 cents.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have black museum calf in both the Becketts and the Vale and really like it with those particular shoes; I've seen it on other shoes and didn't like it. I have Philip II in black calf and can't imagine it looking good in black museum calf.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with Museum calf. I'm more bothered by overtly faux-antiquing, like Edward Green uses.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I no longer like the Chestnut museum calf even though I own a pair of shoes with the color.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't have a problem with Museum calf. I'm more bothered by overtly faux-antiquing, like Edward Green uses.

I'm the exact opposite - love the EG antiquing, while many of the museum leathers look fake to me.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ 1. the museum calf finish used to not bother me. but now everytime i see it person, i just think it looks mottled and somewhat plastic-y. Some museum calf finishes are better than others.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love museum calf and don't find it fake looking. I also love EG's antiquing, go figure.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I love museum calf and don't find it fake looking. I also love EG's antiquing, go figure.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Ever seen a shoe you don't like?
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads