• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JL Calf vs. Museum Calf: Anyone Prefer the Former?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
If I leave a shoe under my pillow, will the Shoe Fairy leave me change?

No change, but perhaps a steel toe plate or felt travel bags.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Parisian Museum Calf and I like them a lot.

I alternate using neutral cream polish, medium and dark brown wax. They became a touch darker but they have a wonderful patina.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
1+

I am increasingly tending to go for plain black. Even brown calf strikes me as being too gaudy these days.

It is a shame that not all shoes have the subtle elegance and timeless appeal of button boots.

I like plain, museumed and antiqued calf for different purposes. In black though, I think plain is definitely best.

Financier

Reaction score
Museum is hit or miss for me. In some cases I htink it looks great, in others I wonder if I'm looking at a dirty shoe.

jjjohn

Reaction score
Just got a pair of Parisian Museum Calf today.

They look very nice!
tounge.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjjohn
Just got a pair of Parisian Museum Calf today.

They look very nice!
tounge.gif

Which shoe style?

pledge

Reaction score
Theoretically
smile.gif
, if you were to purchase the JL Tudor boot, would you prefer Parision Brown (my earlier comments notwithstanding, or chestnut museum? Obviously, since the Tudor is a boot, I would imagine that the calculus for deciding would be somewhat different than if it were an oxford or monk, since the boot would be worn primarily with jeans....right?

pledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I wear chelseas with everything from denim to sportcoats to suits.

Hey DocHolliday. Suits? I didn't realize chelseas could be worn with suits/dress pants? This is all part of learning for me. Is this common practice?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pledge
Hey DocHolliday. Suits? I didn't realize chelseas could be worn with suits/dress pants? This is all part of learning for me. Is this common practice?
I don't think chelseas, in general, are all that common these days. But a nice pair of chelseas, with clean, simple lines, can look great with a sleek suit or a slim pair of dress trou. It's not for the dressiest of occasions, but it's still a terrific look. In the fall, I like to pair a navy blazer with slim wheat-colored cords, a button-front shirt, V-neck sweater and dark brown chelseas, and women never fail to notice. On the old Avengers show, John Steed used to wear chelseas with all his clothes, and in my book that's a high point of men's style. Seen here with a three-piece suit and bowler:
avengers-waist-1.gif
The right pair of chelseas can be extremely versatile. That's one reason I love 'em so.
inlove.gif
They can look great with a suit, or they can be pulled on with a pair of jeans or khakis to run out to pick up some milk.

pledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I don't think chelseas, in general, are all that common these days. But a nice pair of chelseas, with clean, simple lines, can look great with a sleek suit or a slim pair of dress trou. It's not for the dressiest of occasions, but it's still a terrific look. In the fall, I like to pair a navy blazer with slim wheat-colored cords, a button-front shirt, V-neck sweater and dark brown chelseas, and women never fail to notice.

On the old Avengers show, John Steed used to wear chelseas with all his clothes, and in my book that's a high point of men's style. Seen here with a three-piece suit and bowler:

avengers-waist-1.gif

The right pair of chelseas can be extremely versatile. That's one reason I love 'em so.
inlove.gif
They can look great with a suit, or they can be pulled on with a pair of jeans or khakis to run out to pick up some milk.

Thanks again, DocHolliday. You've been an invaluable resource. When you say the "right" chelsea, would you suggest a black-colored chelsea, or is the Parisian brown or Chestnut musueum a nice "twist"? Also, how do you feel about the elastics on the sides of the JL Tudor boot? Too casual? or is the EG Gresham, seen here http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/9747/eg_gresham.jpg, more appropriate. Thanks again for your input.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pledge
Thanks again, DocHolliday. You've been an invaluable resource. When you say the "right" chelsea, would you suggest a black-colored chelsea, or is the Parisian brown or Chestnut musueum a nice "twist"? Also, how do you feel about the elastics on the sides of the JL Tudor boot? Too casual? or is the EG Gresham, seen here http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/9747/eg_gresham.jpg, more appropriate. Thanks again for your input.
Black can look particularly good with denim and with gray suits -- very sleek -- but I tend to prefer the richness of brown. It's really whichever you prefer, and whichever you think you'd wear most often. For me, it's brown, easily. My dark brown RM Williams and my dark brown suede Yoox cheapies are my most worn pairs. I like exposed elastic -- much prefer that to the gusseted version, with leather strips covering the elastic. The Gresham has its supporters here, but the jodhpur style doesn't do much for me. I wouldn't wear it with a suit, for example. There are times when I think I could abandon shoes entirely in favor of boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads