• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese translation, anyone?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm back at work, and finally got around to measuring the blade; 58,5 cm, including the tang. The sword was a gift from a Japanese official to a Western diplomat/arms collector in the early 20th C., so the provenance is promising. A few pics:
signatur.jpg
egg3.jpg
egg2.jpg
egg1.jpg
spiss1.jpg
slire1.jpg
slire_detalj.jpg
skaft_detalj.jpg
skaft2.jpg
deler8.jpg
deler6.jpg
deler7.jpg
deler3.jpg
deler2.jpg
deler4.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow... looks like it did not have much maintenance done. Well... The saya (scabbard) is sort of uncommon. The rest of the koshirae look sort of tired but looks like most of the gold leaf is still in place, which is good. Comes with its kozuka knife, which would certainly make the fittings, if not the whole package, worth a bit more. Quite a few rust spots on the nakago, too. Nice shi-shi on the koshirae, though
smile.gif
Plus the patina on the tsuba looks quite good from the photographs. The blade itself looks like it has a good amount of chips and maybe some rust which is worrisome but maybe salvageable. Cannot tell, is the hamon sort of like an undulating wave (midare) or just inconsistent? Some proper polishing may be able to get out more detail if the blade is not too tired, of course. Looks like a shobu-zukuri style blade from the photos. Here is a good simple diagram, which does it most resemble (if any, that is)? Now, as I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough, I would recommend you cross-post those pictures at the very least over at the Nihonto section of Swordforum for some better ideas

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the first thing that jumps out is that the polish is in pretty bad shape--lots of rust, fingerprints, and nicks.

My uneducated guess is that the current mounts are for an Edo-period merchant wakizashi (a wak for someone not entitled to carry a long sword) based on the blinginess and the fact that it was presented solo instead of in a daisho set. That isn't to say that the blade itself isn't older. I really like that tsuba.

LS-you should take some more pics without flash and with the light source directed at a 45 degree angle towards the blade--it will cut the glare and allow people to see the true state of the blade, and get a better look at the hamon.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang, didn't see Skalogre's reply until now.
Originally Posted by skalogre
The blade itself looks like it has a good amount of chips and maybe some rust which is worrisome but maybe salvageable. Cannot tell, is the hamon sort of like an undulating wave (midare) or just inconsistent? Some proper polishing may be able to get out more detail if the blade is not too tired, of course.
It's difficult to say in the state it's in, but I'd say the hamon (temper line) is probably just rather flat and inconsistent.
Originally Posted by skalogre
Looks like a shobu-zukuri style blade from the photos. Here is a good simple diagram, which does it most resemble (if any, that is)?
Yep, that's the one, although there seems to be a rudimentary vertical line (yokote?). I'll try Swordforum eventually, thanks!
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
My uneducated guess is that the current mounts are for an Edo-period merchant wakizashi (a wak for someone not entitled to carry a long sword) based on the blinginess and the fact that it was presented solo instead of in a daisho set. That isn't to say that the blade itself isn't older. I really like that tsuba.
That makes a lot of sense, although sets of Japanese swords are exceedingly rare. Judging by the patina of the different parts, I'd guess that the blade itself, the small kozuka knife and maybe the menuki (the decorative bronze bits wrapped into the grip) are the oldest parts, then maybe the tsuba (guard) and the other bronze/gilt mounts from a somewhat later date, and the lacquer/mop scabbard from a rather late, say meiji-period date. The different patinas would fit well with what you're saying. And thanks again! I'll report back if there are any new findings.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
That makes a lot of sense, although sets of Japanese swords are exceedingly rare.

Yeah--I know that finding matched daisho is like winning the lottery. What I really mean is that something about that saya just doesn't look like the way you'd mount up a matched set of blades. It seems like too showy of a style for a daisho set of warrior's blades, but perfect if you are a non-samurai wanting a little flash.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: There are five known makers who have signed "Mitsuhira" in a similar way. The most important one is the one referred to by Nantucket and Retro in the posts above. He was from the Musashi province. (I had someone look them up in the Matsuo Fujishiro's Nihon Toko Jiten (shinto volume).) This blade is almost certainly not by him, as he and his school of swordsmiths did not make straight or just barely undulating hamons (temper lines), but most often very intricate and and wavy ones. I think this is most probably Mitsuhira from the Bungo province, he's noted as a swordsmith from the 1680s, which would fit well with the general appearance of the blade, which seems to be c. 1700, or slightly later. Also, he's quite obscure - this would not be an obvious choice for forging a signature. It seems Retro's guess was spot-on; an Edo-period wakizashi, of good, but not outstanding quality, and probably made for a well-off commoner rather than a nobleman. Respect. In that case, the sawasa (bronze) tsuba and fittings are also probably contemporary to the blade, which would be nice. The only other option I can see would be Mitsuhira of Kaga, but he worked almost a hundred years earlier, and this doesn't really fit with the geometry and general shape of the blade.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good info, Retronometro. Considering that a good straight hamon is usually considered to be the hardest to achieve, it could have certainly been a commission for a well-off merchant. Anyway, the koshirae may not even be original. Only the habaki itself and the tsuka are specific to a blade usually, as they must be fitted correctly. The rest could have been retrofitted later on.
Who knows, maybe it was part of a daisho at some point but considering that only bushi were allowed to wear a standard sized sword, you never know. Merchants could still commission and buy the blades, they just could not go around with them. A lot of the more "pimp" fittings with lots of gold inlay and the like you find were commissioned for merchants' blades.

The yokote btw could have also been polished out by someone in the past, unintentionally or not. That is the problem with nihonto, the person polishing/sharpening a blade must understand well what is the smith's house style and the proper blade characteristics. Ugh. Confusing stuff.
Come to think of it, some wakizashi I have seen look just like shrunken shinogi-zukuri katana anyway, so it is always possible that it was polished down toop far. Now mind you I don't own any antique blades myself, just speaking from what I have seen in books and swords owned by people I know. I think Retronometro may be better versed than I
wink.gif

Keep us updated, this is fascinating stuff (to me at least
biggrin.gif
).

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
66469-1.jpg
Update; in the end, I concluded it was to be "attributed to" Mitsuhira of the Bungo province, early 18th (consulted with a few people). Sold for about $2.200.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll follow up with this one - any thoughts? (I'll try to have some better photos taken over summer) My first thought is that it's early 19thc, with some older parts incorporated.
68151-6.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads