• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember Maruzen had a few items from the Boot Black but what stores have a more extensive collection?

I think World Foot Wear Gallery in Ginza had some Boot Black products. Not a huge selection, but perhaps worth a look.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think World Foot Wear Gallery in Ginza had some Boot Black products. Not a huge selection, but perhaps worth a look.
Thanks ill be back in mid October so no rush or nothing

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I remember Maruzen had a few items from the Boot Black but what stores have a more extensive collection?

ISETAN MEN`S in Shinjuku has a large collection of Bootblack Black Label.

Tokyu Hands have the largest selection of shoe care products in general (even has the Brift H products), but they only carry the Bootblack Silver Collection (equivalent to blue Saphir)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ISETAN MEN`S in Shinjuku has a large collection of Bootblack Black Label.

Tokyu Hands have the largest selection of shoe care products in general (even has the Brift H products), but they only carry the Bootblack Silver Collection (equivalent to blue Saphir)
Of course there's multiple high-end Japanese shoecare brands. Is Brift H supposed to be good as well? Any others to keep my peepers peeled for?

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Of course there's multiple high-end Japanese shoecare brands. Is Brift H supposed to be good as well? Any others to keep my peepers peeled for?

Brift H cream is Good. Its cream based but has a low viscosity, so quite easy to spread/absorb (think Colonil 1909/Diamant). Although they come at a high price, I swear by it.

Another Brift H product thats also good is their High Shine Cleaner. Works like a miracle in removing built-up polish, or getting some grime off a leather wallet.

Brift H tin wax is also nice. It has a very high wax content, works quite similar to the Saphir mirror gloss polish. It feels dry and flaky from the start.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brift H cream is Good. Its cream based but has a low viscosity, so quite easy to spread/absorb (think Colonil 1909/Diamant). Although they come at a high price, I swear by it.

Another Brift H product thats also good is their High Shine Cleaner. Works like a miracle in removing built-up polish, or getting some grime off a leather wallet.

Brift H tin wax is also nice. It has a very high wax content, works quite similar to the Saphir mirror gloss polish. It feels dry and flaky from the start.
Thanks. I haven't been able to get a mirror shine no matter what technique I use although I just watched the Brift H video on the Armoury and he got a shine in 10 minutes. tf. I have the Saphir Mirror Gloss and some other creams and waxes from Saphir and Burgos.

I'll pick up some of the Brift stuff when over there. I know you've posted places before to do this (and I hate to be the type of person who asks these questions and Im gonna bookmark your answer) where can I get a mirror shine done in Tokyo? My vanity is gonna get the better of me and I'm gonna bring like four pairs of shoes for a five-day trip. :embar:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't been able to get a mirror shine no matter what technique I use although I just watched the Brift H video on the Armoury and he got a shine in 10 minutes. tf. I have the Saphir Mirror Gloss and some other creams and waxes from Saphir and Burgos.

I'll pick up some of the Brift stuff when over there. I know you've posted places before to do this (and I hate to be the type of person who asks these questions and Im gonna bookmark your answer) where can I get a mirror shine done in Tokyo? My vanity is gonna get the better of me and I'm gonna bring like four pairs of shoes for a five-day trip. :embar:

For shoeshining in Tokyo, some nice choices are:

Brift H in Aoyama
TWTG (Shop in shop) at Union Works Shibuya
`maestro’ Shoeshine at United Arrows Roppongi
Chiba Special at Yurakucho (Kotsu Kaikan Building 1F): old street style shoeshining

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brift H in Aoyama
Chiba Special at Yurakucho (Kotsu Kaikan Building 1F): old street style shoeshining

There's also a guy with a small booth in Akihabara (electronics town) Atre shopping building if you happen to be in that area. He used to work for Chiba Special but runs his own place now: https://waltz-jp.com/

konoyaro

Reaction score
I've been pleased with Kutsumigaki Honpo in the Wings Building just outside of Shinbashi station near the east exit . The Wings building itself is a interesting throwback to 50's / 60's Tokyo with some of it's restaurants and bars.
Last time I was at Kutsumigaki Honpo one of the staff noticed my bag from Edoya and he showed a couple brushes he'd acquired from them.

http://kutsumigakihonpo.jp/

Brift H in Aoyama

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I was looking at shoe products last weekend. Isetan Men's had a selection of Boot Black creams, but Tokyo Hands (the one in Takashimaya Times Square in Shinjuku) had a larger selection of products and a greater selection of Boot Black colors. I think that the prices may have been the same.

For what it is worth, Boot Black is made by Columbus.

Bic

Last edited:

DapperAndy

Reaction score

The trick is to layer water and just use the wax as a stabilizer, once you get the base. That's how the reflection occurs.
Otherwise, I'm just appreciating reading all the recommendations of places to visit for an upcoming Tokyo trip :worship:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also worth mentioning..
ISETAN MEN’s doesn’t usually offer mirror-shine service, but they do have a nice dedicated shoe bar, where once month, they invite a guest shoeshiner to helm.
Past shoeshiners include John Chung (Mason & Smith Singapore) Yuya Hasegawa (Brift H), Ishimi Go and Terashima Naoki (TWTG), and also our very own Steve Hung (OAK ROOM Taiwan)

Not sure who will be invited for this month (May), but definitely worth checking it out first if you happen to be in Tokyo.

konoyaro

Reaction score
Mitsukoshi Ginza is also worth considering. Mitsukoshi Ginza has a "while you wait" shine service in addition to visiting shoe shiners and workshops. Since Isetan has merged with Mitsukoshi some of the guest artisans visit both venues.

https://i.isetan.co.jp/mitsukoshi/g...mens-club-where-sophisticated-men-gather.html
https://www.masonandsmith.com/blogs/blog/recap-of-the-japan-shoe-shine-championship

Also worth mentioning..
ISETAN MEN’s doesn’t usually offer mirror-shine service, but they do have a nice dedicated shoe bar, where once month, they invite a guest shoeshiner to helm.
Past shoeshiners include John Chung (Mason & Smith Singapore) Yuya Hasegawa (Brift H), Ishimi Go and Terashima Naoki (TWTG), and also our very own Steve Hung (OAK ROOM Taiwan)

Not sure who will be invited for this month (May), but definitely worth checking it out first if you happen to be in Tokyo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads