• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Braughn

Reaction score
The blue cordovan monkey boots are beautiful. I would order a pair if I had confidence in the fit.[/COLOR]

Mean Mr Mustard

Reaction score
Congrats on your new boots! ¥35K seems like a good steal! Yes, there are a slew of Japan-only C&J models and lasts, and those may very well be one.

Thanks, Nutcracker. The Tokyo heat makes boots a little too hot in summer, but I look forward to wearing them soon enough!

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tokyo is effing mushiatsui.

Had my second fitting with Marquess today. He had made me another fitting pair without even asking for it, and the fit was the best I've ever experienced. Apparently it gets even better.

http://instagram.com/p/rq8BXSD4fB/

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Tokyo is effing mushiatsui.

Had my second fitting with Marquess today. He had made me another fitting pair without even asking for it, and the fit was the best I've ever experienced. Apparently it gets even better.

http://instagram.com/p/rq8BXSD4fB/

Most splendid! Looking at your cut up fitting shoes, looks like you`re getting even more fine tuning ! :fonz:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A delicious pair of olive green oxford by TYE SHOEMAKER

TYE Shoemaker Blog

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Holy ****...that stitching is just perfect!

+1

Almost ridicoulously perfect, like the pictures are made in a computer. I could just look at that third row of sticthing on the inside of the facing for hours.

Last edited:

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

+1

Almost ridicoulously perfect, like the pictures are made in a computer. I could just look at that third row of sticthing on the inside of the facing for hours.

Ohno san said he try to make those look like miniscule gimping. It`s now like a signature TYE detail.

Just as I read that these green oxs are by TYE, I thought about stitching...and sure enough, the maker doesn't fail. I wonder if they have found same rare Victorian machine that's the last of its kind, stitching away cleaner and tighter than all others.

The guy who does the upper at TYE (Ohno`s partner) is simply amazing. The funny thing is, Ohno-san`s wife is also a talented artisan in her own right, and she makes the uppers / stiching for Clematis and Ortus (but not TYE).

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A delicious pair of olive green oxford by TYE SHOEMAKER

TYE Shoemaker Blog

That contrast stitching really takes the shoes to another level. And that's a lovely green. Reminds me more of an apple than an olive green.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just as I read that these green oxs are by TYE, I thought about stitching...and sure enough, the maker doesn't fail. I wonder if they have found same rare Victorian machine that's the last of its kind, stitching away cleaner and tighter than all others.

No Victorian sewing machine is significantly better than a more modern, say, 20th century one.

More likely, it's the Victorian sensibilities of the sewing machine operator.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Holy ****...that stitching is just perfect!

It is excellent, isn't it?

The stitching on my Santoni FAMs and some of my other Italian shoes is also very, very good, with a high number of stitches per cm and very neat lines.

For some reason, Italian shoemakers and shirtmakers seem to be better at fine, high stitch count stitching than their English counterparts, and looking at that stitching, Japanese shoemakers seem to take after the Italians.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It is excellent, isn't it? 

The stitching on my Santoni FAMs and some of my other Italian shoes is also very, very good, with a high number of stitches per cm and very neat lines. 

For some reason, Italian shoemakers and shirtmakers seem to be better at fine, high stitch count stitching than their English counterparts, and looking at that stitching, Japanese shoemakers seem to take after the Italians. 

I apologize for dampening anyone's enthusiasm, but while the stitching is very neat and the choice of thread colour harmonious and the shoes very nice looking, the stitching is not particularly fine (in the sense of individual stitches being close together...more stitches per inch)

It's hard to tell from a photo but I seriously doubt that the stitching is finer than roughly 12spi. The only way to know for sure would be to count them but I estimate the above photo of the back of the shoe to be about 30% larger than life. I count 8-9spi along the top line.

In Traditional English work 18-22 spi would be good (not exceptional) work. You can even see such frequency in vintage American manufactured shoes. And there are examples in museums of stitch counts as high as 64spi (of course that was done by hand and strictly for show).

FWIW...

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's hard to tell from a photo but I seriously doubt that the stitching is finer than roughly 12spi. The only way to know for sure would be to count them but I estimate the above photo of the back of the shoe to be about 30% larger than life. I count 8-9spi along the top line.

Judging by the picture, it appears to me the closer has used a different stitch length and a different needle to do the top line and the main body of the shoe.

The stitches along the top line are slanted and sit piggy-back on top of the next one (same effect asyou get in fine hand stitching using a lance shaped awl). To get that look in machine stitching, you use a "narrow wedge point" needle, I would guess the stitch length is maybe 10-11/inch.

The main closing work seams to be done with a round needle. Here the stitches line up to a straight line, so the 'head' of one stitch line up perfectly to the 'tail' of the previous one. I would guess the stitches are somewhat smaller (about 14/inch) than the top line ones. Also notice how carefully the tension has been adjusted so every stitch sits on his own like a little pearl.

Any closer who is willing to change needle and settings within a single pair of shoes has my absolute admiration.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Judging by the picture, it appears to me the closer has used a different stitch length and a different needle to do the top line and the main body of the shoe.
The stitches along the top line are slanted and sit piggy-back on top of the next one (same effect asyou get in fine hand stitching using a lance shaped awl). To get that look in machine stitching, you use a "narrow wedge point" needle, I would guess the stitch length is maybe 10-11/inch.
The main closing work seams to be done with a round needle. Here the stitches line up to a straight line, so the 'head' of one stitch line up perfectly to the 'tail' of the previous one. I would guess the stitches are somewhat smaller (about 14/inch) than the top line ones. Also notice how carefully the tension has been adjusted so every stitch sits on his own like a little pearl.

Any closer who is willing to change needle and settings within a single pair of shoes has my absolute admiration.

I agree.

Maybe not so deliberate, however. For instance, I have two flatbed machines set up generally with round or what is known as "tri-tip" needle points. But my post machines...which are a must for topline and closing...are, by default, set up with narrow-reverse-twist needles.

How wide do you think the "stay" stitch at the bottom of the facing is? I'd bet it's real close to half an inch wide. Compare it to the machine stitching just below it. I count 6+ machine stitches which would make 14spi a little optimistic.

Anyway, not to take anything away from the shoes, or the workmanship...just putting things into perspective and noting that although we don't see such work coming out of the manufacturies, it's pretty much Traditional British bespoke work that sets the standards. Makes us notice and admire fine needle work.

On edit...BTW, for anyone interested there is a fine (and accurate) webpage about needle points and their effect on seams, here. Of particular interest is page 2 through 4 and the "highlights" comments. I've been using Schmetz (and, alternately, Lammertz and/or Groz-Beckert) needles for forever and have always considered this information critical.

--

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads