• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japan bespoke for around $1000?

Atwigman

Reaction score
I don't want to derail the thread any farther but I'll say this.

Burakumin is not a class. It basically means "small-settlements". Infact, labeling folks with this term now a days is considered rude. Anyways, with that being said...

Buraku-activists are not Burakumin. They are like the human rights version of the Green Peace and are nothing but yakuza operation and street walking scumbags. It's really offensive to mix these two up! They just use the name to get sympathy:/

Sorry for derailing the thread.

Unfortunately I don't know too many places in Tokyo area .Few other places I've been to were all Kansai area. And they do offer reasonably priced custom order suits for approximately $1K. There's this other place Masse Attura, but that's still in Osaka.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atwigman
I don't want to derail the thread any farther but I'll say this...

I don't think anyone knows what the hell this thread is talking about, so derail away...

Gatsby

Reaction score
Just a quick note if you are going with Gordon, as I believe I am one of the few members of SF that actually had a suit made by him -- be VERY stubborn with what you want. I think I reviewed him a few years back and my conclusion was to stick with Chan.

Really worthwhile bringing in a suit you already own that you like in terms of styling, fit, etc. I was trying to have him make me a poor man's Attolini, but even I have to admit it was an exercise in futility.

Don't get me wrong, the suit was great in terms of construction and fit (and I love the fabric, though that has nothing really to do with Gordon..), but the styling was really not what I wanted. Gordon did work to accomodate my schedule (I needed it done in 2 weeks for a wedding!) so I give him credit for that.

I would also recommend sourcing your own suit/sleeve buttons and lining (there are some quaint shops in HK for that actually), as his selection was a bit scarce from my recollection.

Originally Posted by Svenn
Good to know, I think I've settled on HK instead of Tokyo. I'll just buy a flight to HK from seattle then buy a separate round trip from there to narita (so I will be able to go to HK twice). It seems odd changing my schedule like that for a suit, and it's gonna cost probably $400 extra at least in airfare, not to mention a bed in HK, but I think it's worth it.

I'd also like to mention I emailed Gordon Yao to see if that schedule was ok with him, and he replied within the hour twice! Well maybe that's bad news if it means he has nothing else to do, but I appreciate the quick feedback anyhow. $700 total if I bring the fabric to him
smile.gif

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gatsby
Just a quick note if you are going with Gordon, as I believe I am one of the few members of SF that actually had a suit made by him -- be VERY stubborn with what you want. I think I reviewed him a few years back and my conclusion was to stick with Chan.

Really worthwhile bringing in a suit you already own that you like in terms of styling, fit, etc. I was trying to have him make me a poor man's Attolini, but even I have to admit it was an exercise in futility.

Don't get me wrong, the suit was great in terms of construction and fit (and I love the fabric, though that has nothing really to do with Gordon..), but the styling was really not what I wanted. Gordon did work to accomodate my schedule (I needed it done in 2 weeks for a wedding!) so I give him credit for that.

I would also recommend sourcing your own suit/sleeve buttons and lining (there are some quaint shops in HK for that actually), as his selection was a bit scarce from my recollection.

Aw...Mr. Gatsby, I thought you might set us straight on several hundred years of Japanese social history. Instead, you are making tailor recommendations!?!

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gatsby
Just a quick note if you are going with Gordon, as I believe I am one of the few members of SF that actually had a suit made by him -- be VERY stubborn with what you want. I think I reviewed him a few years back and my conclusion was to stick with Chan. Really worthwhile bringing in a suit you already own that you like in terms of styling, fit, etc. I was trying to have him make me a poor man's Attolini, but even I have to admit it was an exercise in futility. Don't get me wrong, the suit was great in terms of construction and fit (and I love the fabric, though that has nothing really to do with Gordon..), but the styling was really not what I wanted. Gordon did work to accomodate my schedule (I needed it done in 2 weeks for a wedding!) so I give him credit for that. I would also recommend sourcing your own suit/sleeve buttons and lining (there are some quaint shops in HK for that actually), as his selection was a bit scarce from my recollection.
Good to know Gatsby. I'd go with Chan but they don't let you bring in your own fabric, and the expensive 16 oz ones they do have will total the suit to $1500 (they quoted me). Gordon said his labor was $650, and the wool I'm looking at is another $250 on top of that. Is there anyone else in HK you would recommend above Gordon?

Acephale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Good to know Gatsby. I'd go with Chan but they don't let you bring in their own fabric, and the expensive 16 oz ones they do have will total the suit to $1500 (they quoted me). Gordon said his labor was $650, and the wool I'm looking at is another $250 on top of that. Is there anyone else in HK you would recommend above Gordon?
So now basically you are asking for where you can get bespoke for around $1000 in HK?... Hmmm. You have 'Lucky Face' perchance?

TorontoEX

Reaction score
It would make sense that an equivalent suit in Japan would cost more than HK/China. Those under $500 MTM suit in Japan is partially made in China. The advantage however, it that the QC would be done much better... I guess part of the Japanese culture.

A point about bringing your own fabric to the tailor... I know you'll save some money, but I think you should never project an image of 'cheapness' to any tailor, either high end bespoke or mid tier. Unless the fabric is one of kind or something, trying to save a few bucks is not going to work towards your advantage. Think logically to yourself. Who would get better attention to his commissioned suit? A cheap skate who tries to haggle lower CMT prices on his own fabric for one suit or the guy who is commissioning 5 suits and possibly a long term generous customer? Especially when so much of the work relies on the handwork, the patience for multiple fittings and re-cut. Being a professional, the cutter to the finishers should apply their utmost skills and attention to detail to every commissioned order.. yes, but I seriously doubt that they would pay as much attention to a 'one time cheap customer' than a long term customer who buy multiple orders or perhaps a celebrity customer.

Also I learned this tip from a friend recently... during the first fitting, I gave a small gift from a business trip and offered some financial advice to him.
Called it a bribe or what ever, but if the little gesture gets be a better suit, I am all for it.

dasai

Reaction score
Hello, 10-month old thread!
deadhorse-a.gif
But while we're here, for those who are interested in decent suits for less than the usual premium for bespoke in Japan, Batak Tailor also has a made-to-measure line called Batak House Cut. I used them to have an odd waistcoat made earlier this year, which was quite nice after I got it taken in (I had lost a little weight between the fitting and the final result). There's one in Hankyu's HEP Navio in Osaka, and it looks like the Tokyo one is in the Shin-Marunouchi Building directly in front of Tokyo Station.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads