• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jantzen VS chan and in general jantzen quality

dibenetto

Reaction score
it seems overall,as others have pointed out:

-interest depends a lot on visibility;CHAN is less talk about because fewer people use him. many tailors are not talked about because nobody have heard of them.

CHAN is a staple for connoisseurs who complete their wardrobe by him from time to time.jantzen is the big factory where a lot of people complete their day to day shirtings need and not specifically connoisseurs.....

-value is highly subjective (deep pockets consider higher quality=higher value/smaller pockets consider lower price/better value)

-for the first part i will do my best to give reports on many different tailors and related businesses (shoemakers,fabric dealers,buttons supplier etc) with the little knowledge i have.
as i am currently based in hongkong and travel to china,it will be about businesses based in Asia. believe me you will be surprised how often the stuff they manufacture end up everywhere you look in America.....

-for the second part its all in the debate. so for my part i like my shirts to be cheap in price, and my suits to look expensive even if they end up costing a lot!
(a shirt turning sour is no big deal but a suit once cut wrong is lost)

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Chan's reputation would be a deciding factor on me going to a lesser known HK tailor VS Chan because there are so many fakes in China and I'm not educated enough to tell the difference.

dibenetto

Reaction score
well first hongkong is not china period. there is no ''fakes'' in tailoring in hongkong at least not by the chinese tailors (maybe some indians will sell you chinese goods but its the subject for another thread)

second CHAN goes to america and is known for that reason.
i've met billionaire hongkong tycoons who orders 7 tuxedos shirts for every party he throws,and russians on the FORBES list buying at a tailor you've never heard off and that most people on the forum not very knowledgeable about HK tailoring scene wouldnt know...........

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Since you seem to know a lot about HK tailors, why don't you share some more information about other tailors? There are a slew of what seems to be good tailors there, specially in the Central and Admiralty district.

dibenetto

Reaction score
well i will but on another thread i will start soon

because there is a lot to learn here. their business is so different in structure its kind of tough to pinpoint it when visiting for businees do a couple suits and fittings and fly back home....new thread '' HK TAILORS''

dibenetto

Reaction score
tailor shops in ADMIRALTY for example are usually run by the head cutter like in saville row. the cutting part is done on premises,and many times the head cutter doesnt cut but more or less runs the shop and another often older gent' cuts in the back.
there is basically 2 types of tailor shops:

1)fully independent,all in house. in that category you can subdivide in 2:

- shops like CHAN who have workshop and retail space often in hotels or others tailors friendly areas.....most of these are reputable and very stable.
they dont want to be bothered too much as they have their clients and their sweet life.they will make you a suit as much for their own satisfaction as yours.

-independent workshops:those manufacture for a number of people and businesses in HK, many work with tailors and MTM programs in america. some are better than others,some have nicer premises than others,some are sweatshops. price is in the low end. in general the deals are between professionals in the trade and repeat customers,some visit most never do. lots of them are located in TST. they work strictly with order sheets,no live fitting .....

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member