• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

dinted voice

Reaction score
Perhaps a new record for Ricki. I placed and order the other day and emailed him right after with the order information asking for a confirmation. Within 12 hours he replied saying order received! He normally replies within 5 business days for me, but 12 hours is a record!

ApplesHK

Reaction score
That's a good question!
My bengal strpe is back in Ricky's workshop for the third try to get the sleeves right and I'm a local. Just goes to show....if they get the initial measurement wrong, it's months of agony righting it!
Are you sending the shirt or just the measurements? Ricky will allow for shrinkage if you specify.

LawrenceUK

Reaction score
I have now done an order, using finished shirt measurements, fabric 8061

I added a half inch to collar, yoke, sleeve and cuff. We'll see if:

a) it arrives and
b) if it shrinks more than this!

tom153

Reaction score
Honestly, I think that's too much. None of my shirts have shrank that much, maybe a quarter of an inch at the most.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom153
Honestly, I think that's too much. None of my shirts have shrank that much, maybe a quarter of an inch at the most.
Definitely not my experience - it heavily depends on the cloth, and on the weave. I've seen nearly up to an inch lost on sleeves in shirts washed in cold water and never tumble dried. Twills shrink less than plain weaves, 2ply less than 1ply, and 'superfines' less than 'standard' fabrics.

bha

Reaction score
OK, I don't mean to brag... but....

Ordered 5 shirts on Nov 27
Received confirm on Dec 3, saying order received but 1 fabric out of stock
Called Ricky next day and gave him a replacement fabric #
Received note on Dec 15, saying 2 other fabrics out of stock
smile.gif

Called ricky 2 days later and gave him 3 replacment numbers, said "make as many of these as you can)

So last time I talked to Ricky was Dec 17

Received all 5 shirts on Dec 22

Obviously my order fell through the cracks of their regular production system and got completed/shipped/received in 5 days (of which 2 were weekend days)
smile.gif

He seems to be getting more reliable. Each time I called with replacement fabric numbers, he even sent an email within 24 hours saying "thank you for calling with replacement fabric #xxxxx.. will send asap!"

Will post pics later.. 4 of the shirts came out awesome, but the fifth fabric is either really dorky or totally awesome.. can't decide which. Will post pics and you guys can tell me what you think!

LawrenceUK

Reaction score
could be too much but I machine wash at 30-40 degrees and i find most shirts shrink a bit. I find that half inch in the sleeve and collar is not unusual.

If they only shrink a quarter inch...well, I'd rather settle for a tiny bit long than too short.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice navy gingham? I was hoping to get one in the fine fabrics, but am having trouble finding one. The one on the wiki is getting mixed reviews as well. Thanks!

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Just got my most recent order of five shirts. They're getting pressed at the dry cleaner's right now.

Order: Nov 17
Confirmation: Dec 15
Card charged: Dec 24
Order receipt: Jan 5

Took a little longer than usual but I attribute it to the Christmas rush.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Just got my most recent order of five shirts. They're getting pressed at the dry cleaner's right now.

Order: Nov 17
Confirmation: Dec 15
Card charged: Dec 24
Order receipt: Jan 5

Took a little longer than usual but I attribute it to the Christmas rush.

jantzendeliverytimes.jpg

I admire your patience. That's a full seven week cycle. That is poor performance for me.

brittain

Reaction score
Ricky's slowed down for me as well. I intitially ordered in late November, then about a week later I got a confirmation but was told they were out of one of my fabrics. I replied with an alternate, a week later Ricky told me they were out of that as well. We did that twice. So a few days ago I finally recieved a good confirmation, hopefully I'll get the shirts by the end of Jan.

As an aside, I dont understand why so many of you guys are so gentle with your Jantzens and wash them only in cold water, hang dry them, etc. First, they are made to measure. If you are worried about them shrinking in the dryer, why not just get them a half inch larger? Second, even if you argue that drying them will make them wear out in a couple of years instead of three, so what? its a $45 shirt. I take all of mine to the cleaners and dont worry about it.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david4king
But what makes it look like a costume? Why don't you guys like it? I know it is not a biz look. This is mainly for going out salsa dancing and such.

I think it's a great Salsa dancing shirt. I would not recommend wearing it during the day, especially to work.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
I admire your patience. That's a full seven week cycle. That is poor performance for me.
To be fair, the last four orders from Jantzen took less than four weeks each. I agree that seven weeks is bad but with the Christmas rush you normally expect some delays. And if you think seven weeks is bad, I'm currently on week 25 for a leather jacket from Aero .... PS nice Excel skillz.
smile.gif
Edit: new order placed, so let's see how it goes now that Christmas is over! Order placed: Jan 12 Email confirmation: Jan 19 Card charged: ? Order received: ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads