• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jaguar XJ-S - Opinions?

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most all of the import vehicles have a very high cost for repairs. Owning one of those Jags or the Mercedes could be worse than feeding a coke habit.

If you have the urge to get something a bit unique, but affordable, look at one of the old VW Ghias. Systems are simple enough that you can tinker with it yourself. Just look out for body rust when buying. The mechanicals can be fixed fairly cheap. Not much launch power at the stoplight though. And they are rather easy to bend if you do not drive carefully.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautifully said. You obviously have a passion for the XJ-S
smile.gif
If that's your car, well it's a beauty! In great condition like I want mine to be. Right now it looks like I'll have a Ford Explorer until I can buy my own car, I just want to have an idea of what I want. The XJ-S sounds good, despite repairs and gas mileage.

BTW, I second the badass photo comment!

Brian

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
H,

Everything about that photo is so badass.

Thanks, VMan...just representin', just representin.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Beautifully said. You obviously have a passion for the XJ-S
smile.gif
If that's your car, well it's a beauty! In great condition like I want mine to be. Right now it looks like I'll have a Ford Explorer until I can buy my own car, I just want to have an idea of what I want. The XJ-S sounds good, despite repairs and gas mileage.

BTW, I second the badass photo comment!

Brian

Well, that's good -- gives you some time. Because there are alot of interesting cars to look into if you don't feel like rolling in a Hyundai. Not that that's bad either. As it is I don't even drive the Jag when there is salt on the ground, so I roll in what is probably the lamest car on SF (which isn't bad either -- both times I got hit in the Univerity's lot it wasn't the Jag). Glad you liked the photo (another hobby), yes that one is mine and that's me, well most of me, anyway.

Regards,
Huntsman

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Huntsman, I have to join in and say THAT is an incredible photograph. Sharp car, sharp outfit
smile.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huntsman- No, I definitely do not want a Hyundai. I really want something that stands out and is just a statement about me, mostly. I'm British, a Jag would be perfect for me since I've always loved them. The XJ-S has always had a certain appeal for me, especially the convertible!

Brian

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Huntsman- No, I definitely do not want a Hyundai. I really want something that stands out and is just a statement about me, mostly. I'm British, a Jag would be perfect for me since I've always loved them. The XJ-S has always had a certain appeal for me, especially the convertible!

Brian

I would say, as an alternative, few things "grok" the old British auto style as a BRG Miata, without all the electrical problems.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, skalogre -- it was a really good shoot, picked up a couple of keepers that night.

Well, JB, if you really want a convertible, you'll definitely want to stay with a nineties car, the earlier H&E and XJ-SC had some issues that took awhile to correct. I'd also scond skal and say that a Miata is a great choice -- drivers never mock them. Too bad there were so many issues with its progenitors -- some of the MGs, Triumphs, and the Opel GT would really fit the bill. It might be worth looking into older Lotus models? Full Canvas would know. They definitely are British, and have a certain elan (pun intended). I will probably do something more responsible, but I am seriously considering an Exige for my next car in a year or so.

Regards,
Huntsman

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huntsman- I would prefer a convertible but it's not a necessity. Either a convertible or a coupe. I will also have a look around for some old Lotus cars as well, that is a good idea! An MG seems like too valuable a car for me to drive around, my dad would probably always drive it
smile.gif
As you have figured out I do like British cars, so if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to post!

Brian

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys have great taste. The XJ-S is a beautiful car.

I also considered one for a first car but decided on something more modern and reliable. I still turn my head when one passes by.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That pic could be in an ad for either the car or the suit. They both look fantastic. You make me want an XJS

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, GQ -- though I tend to think that the picture has a net positive effect here mainly because my head isn't in it!

Regards,
Huntsman

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI: This month's Jaguar World magazine has a little blurb on a used 1995 coupe. Essentially they note the things you should look forth, the strengths and weaknesses (although, to be fair, they are a little light on the weaknesses, as Jag advocates)

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest what do you cars pay for car insurance over there? My brother has just got his license and is paying £1650 a year on a 1000cc Ford,so on an XJ-S I imagine he would pay £5000+.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
Just out of interest what do you cars pay for car insurance over there? My brother has just got his license and is paying £1650 a year on a 1000cc Ford,so on an XJ-S I imagine he would pay £5000+.

This thread is about cars
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads