• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was doing some pre-spring cleaning and got around to all of my sunglasses in their boxes. Brands like Tom Ford, Krewe, etc. technically "high-end" frames. I haven't picked them up since I bought my first pair of JMM. They feel SO cheap in comparison. The build quality is absolute trash and so are the materials! Wow! I thought Krewe would be better honestly, since they are an independent eyewear company.. nope.

I truly don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to that tier of frame. Perhaps to only be used for activities where I wouldn't want to risk damaging my JMM, like skiing.

Edit: My Oliver Peoples are actually leagues ahead of the Krewe / Tom Ford.
Sorta agree.

I look back at some of my frames which I was very happy with when I bought them but now feel so flimsy compared to the chunky JMM acetate.

I have a pair of Oliver Peoples Cabrillo in clear acetate with blue lenses. One of my favourite pre JMM shades and they appear to have started off as 10mm acetate as they are that thick at the corners but of course bevelled slimmer elsewhere. They hold up OK. Many others don’t cut it!

Another factor is that my JMMs were so much more expensive than all my others except my Leisure Society, so I feel like I need to justify that cost by wearing them thus they get chosen so much more frequently than the others.

As for the ‘beach’ comment, it may pre-date you joining the thread but some time ago there was some spirited debate between those who wear their JMMs everywhere and others who wouldn’t risk the damage that sand and salt water can cause our precious goodies so it all became a bit of a joke theme.

zonda600

Reaction score
I was doing some pre-spring cleaning and got around to all of my sunglasses in their boxes. Brands like Tom Ford, Krewe, etc. technically "high-end" frames. I haven't picked them up since I bought my first pair of JMM. They feel SO cheap in comparison. The build quality is absolute trash and so are the materials! Wow! I thought Krewe would be better honestly, since they are an independent eyewear company.. nope.

I truly don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to that tier of frame. Perhaps to only be used for activities where I wouldn't want to risk damaging my JMM, like skiing.

I like a lot of Tom Ford clothing, but their glasses are particularly bad, worse than Luxottica manufactured stuff.

Gordon_Shumway

Reaction score

There is no denying the quality of JMM that is for sure. I have recently been wearing my old Tom Fords around the house and my Ditas and I can say while I still have love for the Tom Fords and they do look great on me still it does not even compare to JMM. That being said do I think it’s worth the $900 🤔 well that’s for anyone of us to ponder… but I do think it’s the Japanese crasftmanship over Italy if you compare my TF and Persol to Dita my old Ditas hold up sturdy af almost like the day I bought them 10 years ago… the acetate and design is on par with JMM and they were like somewhere in $400 ( the actual price alludes me) when I got them … so yeah when you hold other brands in your hand and you hold a pair of JMM it’s not even worth denying to yourself the quality but I guess what we all kinda wrestle with is the price point and it’s value

D32169

Reaction score
Wolf Dealans? One of the favourites in my collection.

Just remembered I walked into a shop in NYC - might have been Visual Eyes or something similar - wearing my cobalt Herbies and the two lads behind the counter were gushing over them, asked if they could see them, polished the lenses and tightened the hinge screw while I was trying on some other frames.

It’s rare to come across anyone who knows much about JMMs but it’s like a secret cult. I boarded a plane a few weeks ago and noticed a lad wearing a pair with the tell tale arrow hinge pins. He was talking on the phone as I walked down the aisle past his row otherwise I’d have given him ‘the signal’ 😎😁

Haha I feel your pain bro!
Similar situation - The main reason I started up my blog was that I was (am) an Englishman whose style is largely influenced by the sixties Mod scene in England, living in the US in a state where you’re considered well dressed if you’re wearing long trousers! I travel on the job and get compliments all the time at hotels and airports etc but I just wanted to feel some connection with people who “got” where my style influences came from without having to trot out the whole origin story!😁
Mm

RavenBespoke

Reaction score
In my hunt for a proper tortoise aviator, I decided to give the Casius a shot after Octavian disappointed. Safe to say that these look and feel a lot better! Also thought I'd sample the Lotus colorway, and I can't say I dislike it, despite its more limited applications. The collection only has room for one, but deciding's been a bit trickier than anticipated.

IMG_7270.jpg
IMG_7271.jpg
IMG_7272.jpg
IMG_7273.jpg

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
In my hunt for a proper tortoise aviator, I decided to give the Casius a shot after Octavian disappointed. Safe to say that these look and feel a lot better! Also thought I'd sample the Lotus colorway, and I can't say I dislike it, despite its more limited applications. The collection only has room for one, but deciding's been a bit trickier than anticipated.

View attachment 2129421 View attachment 2129423 View attachment 2129425 View attachment 2129427
This frames suits you! Imagine if you could swap out the Lotus gradients into the Argyle frames, you'd be on an absolute winner. I also think the Hickory fades would look better on you.

RavenBespoke

Reaction score
This frames suits you! Imagine if you could swap out the Lotus gradients into the Argyle frames, you'd be on an absolute winner. I also think the Hickory fades would look better on you.
Agreed, the lenses on the Lotus were a big draw for me! Hickory was also a contender, but fade colorways haven’t really tickled my fancy (maybe save for Beluga, which I’m keen to try some day!)

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2129421 View attachment 2129423 View attachment 2129425 View attachment 2129427

This frame looks perfect on you.

blacksamurai30

Reaction score
Hey team. I recently went to Japan and stumbled upon what appears to be one of the last pairs of Kellerman frames in the Argyle colorway. Needless to say, I snatched them up and I love them. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on cleaning solutions? The website recommends non alcohol containing solution which has been hard to sus out in the ones I have at home. I’m afraid to use them until I know for sure. Thanks!

tweedlover

Reaction score

Top ones are so-so. Bottom a definite no go, primarily due to the color.

Mr Jay

Reaction score
Hey team. I recently went to Japan and stumbled upon what appears to be one of the last pairs of Kellerman frames in the Argyle colorway. Needless to say, I snatched them up and I love them. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on cleaning solutions? The website recommends non alcohol containing solution which has been hard to sus out in the ones I have at home. I’m afraid to use them until I know for sure. Thanks!

Absolutely avoid tap water as it may damage the wirecore plating.

Eyewear cleaning solutions are usually safe on glasses regardless of the alcohol content. However, if you're going to clean them every day I'd go with alcohol-free ones since alcohol may damage the lenses' AR coating. It may also have the same effect on matte acetate

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads