• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

lsterling

Reaction score
I am still intrigued by the Mr P. Dealan in VT... I'd like to order them just to try them out, to scratch the itch, but a part of me says to myself "no, warm colors are not for you, you need cool colors to go with your complexion". Now, is this just a myth? Or should I, as a guy with light skin and brown hair, who lives in a northern European country, steer clear of VT and colorways like it? Or is the only way to know to just try the damn thing on and see?? 😬
As FH said, I have lighter skin and brown hair, and I thought the VT was pretty flattering. My issue was that I didn't necessarily feel like the VT complemented my wardrobe as well as darker frames. Very handsome frame, it just seemed like it was going to take some effort to work it in. I will say, I had second thoughts on the day that I shipped it back to JMM.

fmvazquez

Reaction score
I am still intrigued by the Mr P. Dealan in VT... I'd like to order them just to try them out, to scratch the itch, but a part of me says to myself "no, warm colors are not for you, you need cool colors to go with your complexion". Now, is this just a myth? Or should I, as a guy with light skin and brown hair, who lives in a northern European country, steer clear of VT and colorways like it? Or is the only way to know to just try the damn thing on and see?? 😬
If it helps same problem here! Jumped for the Camel and VT and I am so glad. I tend to use the warm colors in the summer (this year also ejoying them this warm Autum) the dark/neutral colors the whole year.
Go for it ;)

Last edited:

ColdinMN

Reaction score
Hi all. I know this is not necessarily a JMM question but I will throw it out there anyway. Do any of you wear True Vintage Revival frames? If so, how does the quality compare to JMM? Also, do you know of any shops in the US that carry them? Thanks for any information.

Billy Ray Valentine

Reaction score
Hi all. I know this is not necessarily a JMM question but I will throw it out there anyway. Do any of you wear True Vintage Revival frames? If so, how does the quality compare to JMM? Also, do you know of any shops in the US that carry them? Thanks for any information.
I've been searching high and low and can't find a US site. I know it's a few intentional sites that will ship to the US though

ColdinMN

Reaction score
I've been searching high and low and can't find a US site. I know it's a few intentional sites that will ship to the US though

Thanks. I agree, can’t seem to find a US retailer but there are some in Europe. I think Sun of Japan has some, but I’m not sure about the cost and hassle of customs and returns. Also interested in Julius Tart Optical but have similar concerns. I was wondering about the quality. Seems like they would be pretty similar to JMM, but I’m not sure. I have worn Moscot before, I hope the TVR are a step up from those. Thanks again.

garigo

Reaction score
Can't speak of TVR, but I've checked out some Julius Tart frames recently and they are nice. The quality is a bit better than Moscot and the price reflects it. That said, they don't provide the same feeling as JMM's thick acetate. Not necessarily worse, just a different style.

Nwolfe93

Reaction score
I bought the Prudhon frames, but part of me is still wanting to pick up the Molino frame when I have the chance. It was the smaller of the two sizes. What do you all think of them on me? Fit, eye position, etc. it doesn’t help my PD is 58 so eye position has always been a struggle.

Attachments

• 1889837C-EC30-4145-9DF7-880ACA216D3A.jpeg
    1889837C-EC30-4145-9DF7-880ACA216D3A.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 043E49D6-AE4A-40EF-AD24-123646D697E1.jpeg
    043E49D6-AE4A-40EF-AD24-123646D697E1.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 111
  • 794049AB-A8C6-4475-8A2B-D8DFB4469E6D.jpeg
    794049AB-A8C6-4475-8A2B-D8DFB4469E6D.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 121

lsterling

Reaction score
I bought the Prudhon frames, but part of me is still wanting to pick up the Molino frame when I have the chance. It was the smaller of the two sizes. What do you all think of them on me? Fit, eye position, etc. it doesn’t help my PD is 58 so eye position has always been a struggle.
Great fit, in my opinion!

ColdinMN

Reaction score
I think they look fine. Would be great sunglasses.

thomasec

Reaction score
Hey guys - sorry if this has been asked, but are the glasses at JMM's trunk shows a mix of old and brand new models? There were two models I tried that I haven't been able to fine online - Ashcrofti and Saburo.

lsterling

Reaction score
Hey guys - sorry if this has been asked, but are the glasses at JMM's trunk shows a mix of old and brand new models? There were two models I tried that I haven't been able to fine online - Ashcrofti and Saburo.
I believe those are both forthcoming from the next collection. JMM will likely not release anything official for quite some time.

ijgood123

Reaction score
Can't speak of TVR, but I've checked out some Julius Tart frames recently and they are nice. The quality is a bit better than Moscot and the price reflects it. That said, they don't provide the same feeling as JMM's thick acetate. Not necessarily worse, just a different style.
I believe Julius Tart and Native Sons (as well as Sauvage) are made by the same Japanese producer. I recently acquired a pair of Native Sons acetate frames, and I agree with your take. Better than most but doesn't have the thickness and level of detail as JMM.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Disagree tbh.

Think that doesn't look very good with your relatively narrow set eyes.

Better options out there IMO.
I agree with this assessment. The OPs eyes are not well centered in the frames. I don’t think this is a very good optical fit.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree tbh.

Think that doesn't look very good with your relatively narrow set eyes.

Better options out there IMO.

Yup one more here for opticals. The OP's PD is far too narrow for those frames.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads