• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Gordon Holt grows up

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Spazzwell, I'm done debating you since you cannot stop making personal attacks. You clearly have some mental issues.
Why are you so afraid, unlike J. Gordon Holt, to understand simple reality by participating in, as he put it, "basic honesty controls" such as double blind testing? I guess now you have two reasons to puss-out because you'd have two bubbles popped. One about your "golden ears" and the marketing BS you have adopted as your own, and one about me. But if you ever change your mind and want to do a wager on a double blind listening test I normally live about half a mile from somewhere you claimed to do some recording.

MiloX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Why are you so afraid, unlike J. Gordon Holt, to understand simple reality by participating in, as he put it, "basic honesty controls" such as double blind testing?

I guess now you have two reasons to puss-out because you'd have two bubbles popped. One about your "golden ears" and the marketing BS you have adopted as your own, and one about me. But if you ever change your mind and want to do a wager on a double blind listening test I normally live about half a mile from somewhere you claimed to do some recording.

Wow... It took me a few minutes to figure it out, but I think I know spretzzatura from other fora.

ECA and DIYMA in particular.

Has a very strong aversion to kick-panel placement, but is definitely on the "correct" side of the audio science vs religion debate.

What's up DS-21?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Kimber Hero is a great case to study. All audio reviewers have found this cable to sound excellent in terms of being very neutral. If you are right then a poor design would measure poorly. Does Hero measure poorly yet sound so good?

I personally have found Hero to be an excellent interconnect.

You are only considering one possiblity: that the audio reviewers (and you) are actually hearing differences due to the cable, and that those differences are actually improvements over generic cable. There are at least two other possibilities:

1. The audio reviewers (and you) are imagining the differences.
2. There are actually audible differences, but they are worse than a generic cable, and the audio reviewers (and you) prefer the worse sound.

Those two alternative cases are not far-fetched as there are many examples of both in audio.

This is not much of a critique of Cardas as he travels around the country discussing how metrics link to sound quality differences.

It is a valid critique of the article you posted --- I made no other claims about Cardas.

This is a strange one, because Cardas claims that measurements don't predict audibilty all that well. That begs the question of why does he go through the trouble of having expensive test equipment and publishing all those graphs in your original link?

This is not really relevant. He tells a story about meeting someone doing work in a non-audio related field, and then talks about how he makes his copper. He doesn't link them to a cable's sound.

I haven't had time to watch the videos.

--Andre

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ce+%28video%29

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ng+%28video%29

Like his papers, these videos don't explain how the stuff he's demonstrating is related to audio. There's some technobabble in them that's mostly wrong (reflections at audio frequencies?), but none of what he's showing is surprising at all to any electrical engineer. The important part --- how any of it is audible since most of the phenomena he's demonstrating is well above the human hearing range --- is missing.

The second video on shielding poses a logical conundrum for you since Cardas talks about how necessary shielding is in a cable, and that's the main problem with the Kimber Hero (and all of the classic Kimber interconnects) --- they have non-existent shielding. So is Cardas wrong, or do Kimbers suck?

--Andre

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiloX
Has a very strong aversion to kick-panel placement, but is definitely on the "correct" side of the audio science vs religion debate.

Yep, no ankle biters for me!
smile.gif

MiloX

Reaction score
I was being generous with the "very strong aversion to" comment.

And you are being generous with the smiley face. What have you done with DS-21?

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiloX
What have you done with DS-21?

The car is sitting several hundred miles away from me.

I should ask the moderators if it would be possible to change my name here to that. My current one is really lame.

ms244

Reaction score
Do people seriously pay $100/foot for copper cables?

How big of a market is this?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
Do people seriously pay $100/foot for copper cables?

How big of a market is this?

It's a big market but silver, silver/copper and various alloys are what's hot now.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
It's not that big a market. (And there's no functional difference between the various conductive alloys peddled by the various wire hucksters.)

Consider the universe of people with lots of disposable income, zero intellect, and no desire to show off to people who are not the hybrid nerds/idiots/snobs we call "audiophiles." That is the expensive audio wire market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads