• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J crew sale

shoreman80

Reaction score
blush.gif
I know folks round here decry (validly) J Crew's quality, and they've been REALLY beholden to the preppy trend, pretty much forever. But for those of us on a strict budget but with stylistic aspirations they have some nice stuff. If you check out their website soon, they should still have some summer sale selection. This stuff goes quick. Pick up a seersucker suit (they don't use real sizes, unfortunately) for like $140. Â
thumbs-up.gif
I'm embarrassed by my emoticons - doesn't anyone wish there was a way to express tone less associated with middle school kids? GTG, LOL, TTYL. oh, right, www.jcrew.com.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For preppy, I would think the Brooks Brothers, J. Press, Ben Silver, and of course Polo Ralph Lauren would make for better choices, both in quality and design.

I have not had luck with J. Crew items, everything seems to fade quickly, wear badly, and lose much of its overall appeal with repeated use.

Jon.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still like J. Crew for a lot of weekend wear. Polo is indeed a better option, but sometimes you don't want to spend a ton on stuff that you're going to be horsing around in. Plus, I like the fact that J. Crew rarely puts a logo on anything.

I like J.Crew's khakis, and believe it or not they had some pretty nice striped ties for a song this past season.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I think you pick up some good values at JCrew on sale. Like anywhere else, you have to be picky, but JCrew is a staple of their look, which is one I tend to like.

Yes, I've found their ties to be of comparable quality with many other decent level ties, and on sale they (some of them) can be good choices.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I were going for a preppy look at a deep discount (during sales) I would go for GAP and Banana Republic. In my experience, their clothes are better made and will last longer than J. Crew's. Also they do not usually label the exterior of their clothes, so if you don't like that (a la Louis Vuitton), then they are perfect (for you).

Jon.

Tom

Reaction score
I have found J Crew to be far superior to the Gap and on par with Banana Republic. Additionally, J Crew has classic preppy styles that cannot be found at either of the other stores. I would like to check out J Press, but I cannot find them online.

-Tom

shoreman80

Reaction score
Tom, www.jpressonline.com They're a little pricey for stuff I can get for cheaper at Brooks Bros., but their pedigree is more consistent, if that's important. I think their 1984, 1994, and 2004 collections are probably all quite similar. Looks Like they're having a sale, too. "Madras ties, sweet." -PCU

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for that address. I've been looking for J Press online also.

itzamazing

Reaction score
Be careful with JCREW (and Banana Republic). Sale prices on the website tend to be higher than the retail store for certain items. If you do find an item in-store that is lower and it is on the website, the website will honor the lower price as long as you provide the store location.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads