• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

SpacePirate

Reaction score
I was thinking of picking up one or 2 of the lightweight shirts and maybe a madras but dont really have much experience with JC shirts. do these or any of the secret wash shirts fit similar to any of the flannels from last fall?
i have the youngstown and another one and they fit me great but all these shirts say they are tailored and i dont recall the flannels saying that. was wondering if i should size up or not.
any help is appreciated
~space.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by synovoid
I saw some faded oxford shirts in store during the weekend, but they're not online. they're nice.
Staver was selling a bunch of the new shirts that aren't even online yet. I just got the red-black plaid madras with camp pocket that someone mentioned earlier in this thread. It's like a lightweight summer version of a lumberjack plaid. Awesome... Also a blue-light grey gingham oxford. Can't tell if it's from the sun-faded oxford line but it looks like it might be. Regardless it's not even listed under the regular pinpoint oxfords either. Lot of complaints not too long ago that the Spring stuff was looking pretty blah (myself included) although as the new stuff has slowly come in, I'm finding myself wanting more and more!

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpacePirate
I was thinking of picking up one or 2 of the lightweight shirts and maybe a madras but dont really have much experience with JC shirts. do these or any of the secret wash shirts fit similar to any of the flannels from last fall?
i have the youngstown and another one and they fit me great but all these shirts say they are tailored and i dont recall the flannels saying that. was wondering if i should size up or not.
any help is appreciated
~space.

They will fit fine in your size. The madras as slightly trimmer than the lightweight but not dramatically enough that you should wear in a diff size.

JTK

Reaction score
How often does jc offer free shipping, or other discounts on full-price items? I want the Jamesport Bucks, but not for $170 incl shipping. I'm not a student, so I'm out of luck with that discount.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTK
How often does jc offer free shipping, or other discounts on full-price items? I want the Jamesport Bucks, but not for $170 incl shipping. I'm not a student, so I'm out of luck with that discount.

Check here for current J.Crew discounts:
http://jcrewaficionada.blogspot.com/

J.Crew almost always has free shipping on orders of $150 or more.

mystillwater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpacePirate
all these shirts say they are tailored and i dont recall the flannels saying that.

i'm pretty sure only the outlet shirts come in "tailored fit". feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about that, but i've yet to see that designation on a mainline shirt.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a consistent "Tailored Fit." Almost every shirt on the J.Crew site says "tailored fit" somewhere in the description, regardless of whether it's a Secret Wash shirt, utility shirt, etc, each of which has been established to fit differently. It's just a buzzword they sprinkle randomly that has absolutely no correlation to anything.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seany
The Cadet and Sun-washed Red Chambray.
Looks like the lone button is pulling too much in the third pic. In fact, that Cadet jacket gives everyone a shapeless upper body IMO. Not a flattering jacket.
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
No jokes
Yeah, JCrew's "Small" is less tailored on me than a BoO L (heh, BoO/JCrew comparisons again).

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTK

heh i feel you on this, jcrew tax/shipping from the website is completely ridiculous, turns a $100 item into a $120 item

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seany
1969158.jpg

Looks good, like the shirt with it..

seany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Looks like the lone button is pulling too much in the third pic.

In fact, that Cadet jacket gives everyone a shapeless upper body IMO. Not a flattering jacket.

Yeah, JCrew's "Small" is less tailored on me than a BoO L (heh, BoO/JCrew comparisons again).

I have got nothing but compliments on the jacket, and I don't understand how it gives anyone a shapeless upper body considering it's a very slim jacket with very little fabric. But to each to their own I guess.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads