• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Crew Fall/Winter 2011 Discussion

Dinky89484

Reaction score

the baywater peacoat is not especially slim, but it works well for layering in the winter and looks pretty good. i like mine but i got it at a big discount. ~140 or so.
the only thing I dislike is that you can feel the outter buttons when your hands are in the pockets of the jacket, not too bad though. I have the thinsulate version and its pretty warm

I tried the baywater peacoat on and really disliked the fit. it fit like a bag.

I was hoping the answer wouldn't be that it fit like a bag. Oh well. I think I'll pass on it because it's not slim. As always, the pictures on jcrew.com are so deceiving. I'm sure they've pinned the heck out of the back of the Baywater Peacoat on that model. Thanks for your input guys.

Last edited:

Cheese1

Reaction score
What outerwear there can people recommend? I need a jacket pretty bad but reading this thread is scaring me off buying anything J.Crew offers.

Newstyle

Reaction score
I bought the bayswater peacoat in an XS and it fits like a glove, just enough room for a wool sweater underneath. It actually fits me just like it looks on the model online. It is my favorite jacket by far and is definitely warm, I would suggest getting it with the thinsulate I did. Like with anything J.Crew you need to size down.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What outerwear there can people recommend? I need a jacket pretty bad but reading this thread is scaring me off buying anything J.Crew offers.

If you can spring for the Barbour or Belstaff offerings on their website, do.

Or buy it direct from either company for significantly less.

Edit: I did a nationwide phone search for the Penwyn Tartan Oxford last monday. On Wednesday I'd received an email that they'd located the shirt. On Thursday I received shipping information and a tracking number from JCrew's Customer Service department. As of today, the shirt is still on some UPS truck in Illinois.

Great customer service on JCrew's part to go the extra mile and track that shirt down for me after it had sold out online. Crap holiday delivery time from UPS.

Last edited:

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, but my search didn't turn anything up. How do you go about getting the student discount when shopping online? I heard you can email them after you order, but I'm not sure how that would work. Do you just send them the receipt information and then they credit the discount back?

I have my eye on a suit and if they did the discount it would only come up to 380 right now (assuming they do give the student discount on top of their current 30 percent off sale).

nemo

Reaction score

LOL ^
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/sneakers/PRDOVR~51203/51203.jsp
what do you guys think of these? not sure how to treat wool/flannel shoes, but I like how they look. opinions?

I have them, like them quite a bit. Not much to care for really, the wool will not pill as you would imagine. Only thing I think may possibly be of concern is that it is thicker than standard Converse, so if you in between-half-size, go up. I'm 8.5 with other Converses, but this feels a little snug.

Last edited:

nemo

Reaction score

Sorry if this has been covered, but my search didn't turn anything up. How do you go about getting the student discount when shopping online? I heard you can email them after you order, but I'm not sure how that would work. Do you just send them the receipt information and then they credit the discount back?
I have my eye on a suit and if they did the discount it would only come up to 380 right now (assuming they do give the student discount on top of their current 30 percent off sale).

Calling is best, I think. They are really good on the phone.

nemo

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, though this sale precludes the B&M's so it's moot for now. For future reference, they do offer complimentary alterations on your suits purchases if you just want a simple hem job on the sleeves or trouser legs.

Harbin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought the bayswater peacoat in an XS and it fits like a glove, just enough room for a wool sweater underneath. It actually fits me just like it looks on the model online. It is my favorite jacket by far and is definitely warm, I would suggest getting it with the thinsulate I did. Like with anything J.Crew you need to size down.

what's your height/weight? I'm thinking of switching my medium for a small but will jcrew in store allow me to exchange even though the coat is not on sale anymore?

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m happy to share that our Student/Teacher discount is in fact valid on any catalog purchases made in the store (i.e. via our “red phone”). So as long as you are physically in the store, we can honor the 15% on merchandise (even catalog/online exclusives) when you bring your school ID with you. We launched the program that way and have decided to make it a Retail-only benefit once again.

Thanks for reaching out about this offer – feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

:angry: Darn. Do the physical stores honor online sales? I'm not sure if they would give me the 30 percent off, like the online sale going on now.

Last edited:

shadrach

Reaction score

I’m happy to share that our Student/Teacher discount is in fact valid on any catalog purchases made in the store (i.e. via our “red phone”). So as long as you are physically in the store, we can honor the 15% on merchandise (even catalog/online exclusives) when you bring your school ID with you. We launched the program that way and have decided to make it a Retail-only benefit once again.
Thanks for reaching out about this offer – feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

:angry: Darn. Do the physical stores honor online sales? I'm not sure if they would give me the 30 percent off, like the online sale going on now.

I believe they do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads