J. Crew Fall/Winter 2011 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rdstour, Aug 18, 2011.

1. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

there more than a minimal difference; for example, J.crew factory oxford shirts feel a lot lighter, not as heavy, as non factory J.crew oxfords. Second, J.crew factory hoodies, and probably most of the stuff, are a much "cheaper" looking version of their mall counter parts. There's more, but the point remains; J.crew factory and J.crew have a difference in quality.

2. BoboMax

BoboMax Senior member

30% off sales right now

3. BoboMax

BoboMax Senior member

Anyone have experience with the current J.Crew x Thomas Mason shirts?

The ones on their website say slim fit and have a shorter length to wear untucked.

4. Mr. Bananagrabber

Mr. Bananagrabber Senior member

I don't own any but tried some on at the Liquor Store a few months ago. Pretty slim fit, I would have needed a small rather than the XS I normally get from JCrew. The fabric was nicer than standard JCrew. I don't remember noticing the length being shorter than normal. Not sure if the cut changed at all since I saw them.

5. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

I recently got a J. Crew greyish blue heavyweight Tee from Mr. Porter. Great fit and very nice weight. And you can pairt it with almost anything, and it was under 40 bucks.
    BTW, i enjoyed the new collection overall. Hope to see some on Mr. Porter. I think it´s one of the nicest, really affordable brands out there.

6. Philip

Philip Senior member

J crew prices at Mr porter are ludicrous, then again that might just be my weak aud

7. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

I really like how Mr.Porter includes what else is being worn with an item. It's very helpful.

8. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Senior member

My experience is that the Thomas Mason slim-fit and J. Crew slim fit shirts fit similarly. Outside of being a touch shorter, the best way to describe the slim fit cut is a size between the marked size and one size smaller. So, a size small slim fit is somewhere between a extra small and a small.

I have a few slim fit cashmere sweaters, and the same applies.

9. cuponoodles

cuponoodles Senior member

Wow! You honestly hit it pretty dead on - I can, despite the tongue-in-cheek reference, completely see them putting something like 'b' next to one of their jackets.

As many have already mentioned, their catalogs/website have a nice layout with some really cool-looking pieces, but all you're buying is romance. The fits (I like things on the slimmer side) don't work for me, their quality, from my untrained perspective, does not match the price point they sell at, and their product is just too expensive for what you get. Also, it bothers the shit out of me that their slimmest cut of pants are not even remotely what I would call a 'slim fit'.

10. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

Any good deals in stores right now?

11. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

Yes, I neglected to mention how terribly J Crew fits. I see people defending J Crew's fit as "reasonably slim" and I'm inclined to believe this sort of person is a bit of a chunky monkey or else has an affinity for items w/ too much room in all the wrong places Reminder: J Crew puts metal clips on the rear of ALL the models for the catalogs. Astute shoppers can sometimes see them in catalog photos; usually, sleeves and backs are pinched so they sit & drape properly. JC does this obviously so that their clothes have the pleasing appearance that clothes ought to have on an attractive person, while still having the true measurements that allows fat people at the mall to try them on w/out embarrassment. This is deceptive, pure and simple, and goes to show that JC is pandering to the sort of image they can't live up to But that aside, I'd like to say something about J Crew's new line, Wallace & Barnes. J Crew, realizing how popular its collab items are, has decided to fabricate a "collab" of its own. JC can have its cake and eat it too--regular, old JC pieces, made-in-China, sitting next to revered items from Barbour, Belstaff, Saint James, and so forth. They aren't even tagged w/ "J. Crew" but rather "Wallace & Barnes; Garments of Distinction; New York." Less-discerning shoppers might confuse these for something from, say, Epaulet, which would be actually made-in-New York in a limited batch. But no, W&B items are made in the same ol' Chinese factories as the rest of JC's stuff. Just priced higher, as normal collab items ought to be priced. The copy on the items even read, "A Collector's Item." Is a W&B item really a collector's item? Is that what your designer conceived when he sent the specifications to Dongguan, China; that collectors would yearn after these mass-produced mall-wear in years to come? Let's face it, some cheeky kid fresh out Stern was sitting in a JC board room, nervously addressing the product dev team. He carefully explained to them that JC's collab items were directing profits away from JC, but that there's a way for JC to not only get a slice of the pie, but to have the whole pie. That is, to make something that looks like a collab, so that usual foregone-collab profits are instead funneled back to JC. There you have it, W&B enthusiasts, your "heritage" items weren't conceived by a designer in a dusty workshop in Brooklyn, but by a team of MBA whiz-kids w/ dollar signs in their eyes. Calculated romanticism. The 2 above items point to why it's almost unconscionable for me to buy items from a store that is foremost concerned w/ pretenses & deception

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  12. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

What size slim fit tees should I get for a slim 38L about 6ft. 160lb? Also what is the word on the Trapper Jacket? Sizing? Worth retail? ~$175 in Canada

I would love an answer on this before the sale ends.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Medium probably. It's what I get, and I'm basically the same size. Some fit slimmer than others though, so I can't be held accountable for that :confused:

14. subdivide

subdivide Senior member

Agree, Wallace and Barnes is cheeky, and J.Crew clothing fits for shits. Quality is a Yugo.

Why yall gotta hate on the laobaixing though? Factory workers in China are good peoples.

15. BoboMax

BoboMax Senior member

When you guys use the term "fit sucks" or "fits like shit," that is only relative to yourself. It should never be used to judge an entire brand. Something that does not fit you well may fit someone else perfectly.