J. Crew Fall/Winter 2011 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by rdstour, Aug 18, 2011.

1. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Senior member

I think that most people will find that sizing down one size makes J. Crew clothes that "fits like shit" fit quite well. Yes, I do I think that it is strange that I am 5'11" and 162lbs and wear an XS, but J. Crew fits me better than any other larger label.

The same applies to J. Crew pants. If one takes an inch smaller around the waist than one typically does, the pants have a good, fitted cut --at least in the Bowery fit-- and the waist fits the same as a size larger in another label.

As for the quality debate, what labels have superior quality for the price point? Clearly not Gap or Banana Republic.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

2. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

Well, it's relative to the male ideal, which is trim & athletic. J Crew understands what the male ideal is b/c it only uses trim & athletic models. You're not going to see chunky models for a reason; it would be aesthetically distasteful

The con here is that JC is literally pinning & pinching its garments with metal clips for the photoshoots to give the impression that its clothing is suited for the male ideal, which it isnt

So, yes, JC does fit some people properly, and I think it's fair to say that the fit is poor w/ regard to males w/ visually appealing physiques

3. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

You say this as if JCrew does this exclusively. They don't.

4. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

Is there a reason why they are pinning clothes for model shoots as opposed to just tailoring them? That seems a little silly to me.

5. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Senior member

Time? Money? Probably aren't just planning to give the model the clothes either.

6. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

bump

7. Hedges

Hedges Well-Known Member

This doesnt look too bad!

[​IMG]

Authentic Bayswater peacoat

8. Ippo

Ippo Senior member

Is there a sale on the trapper jacket I'm not aware of?

It still seems to be the same price on their site

9. Mr. Bananagrabber

Mr. Bananagrabber Senior member

Damn, I was going to pick up a pair of those Chippewa boots in the next few days since the said expected ship date said October 4th. Just noticed that they now say expected ship date of December 7th. :fu:

10. wispa

wispa Member

That sucks. The batches of boots are really far apart from each other. I got in on the October 4th shipment but this is my first time ordering Chippewa boots. If I end up needing a different size and they say it'll be two months I'm not sure I'll bother waiting. I'd be passing on them out of necessity for a more in-season oriented boot compared to what I own right now. If I was buying these as an addition to a collection of boots then I'm sure it's worth the wait. I have a boot deficiency right now and I don't want to wait until December to fix that...lol! :)

Good luck getting a pair sooner. Maybe someone will return them to a local store. It may be worth calling around to see.

Edit - I placed my order a few weeks ago but I guess it must be a really popular item. I just got an email today saying mine aren't shipping on Oct 4th and will instead be sent out on Dec 7th. Oh well. I may have to take my own advice or maybe I'll get Iron Rangers instead. :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

11. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

Just in case it pops up on ebay I want to be able to make a snap decision. Still haven't got an answer though.

12. yg0307

yg0307 Member

How do you think about Fair isle sweater?

Which is better?? bottom one is last year's fair isle sweater.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

i like the one from this year with a darker background.

14. blackboard_knowledge

blackboard_knowledge Senior member

I just saw the one from this year at a J. Crew and had I thought that I could pull off the look --it is a little too "haute Minneapolis in January" for my style-- I would have gotten it. The color scheme is sharp...for this genre.

15. wispa

wispa Member

Both are nice but I prefer last year's version. I like the lighter contrast between the sweater color and the horizontal designs.