• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iwc

faust

Reaction score
IWC is the ****. It's the one brand that I may one day consider buying a watch from (other stuff I love, like Breguet is simply and will always be out of my league). Like others suggested, stay away from lower models with quartz movement, get an automatic. It's a classicly designed, masculine watch. A lot of them are on the larger side.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the overall look of the watch, but I'm always disappointed in designs where the '12' and/or '6' are cut off by other design elements on the face. That spoils it for me. It seems to be quite common in luxury watches, though, so I guess it's just an aesthetic that a Bulova-wearing dolt is unable to appreciate.
smile.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
I like the overall look of the watch, but I'm always disappointed in designs where the '12' and/or '6' are cut off by other design elements on the face. That spoils it for me. It seems to be quite common in luxury watches, though, so I guess it's just an aesthetic that a Bulova-wearing dolt is unable to appreciate.
smile.gif

In a watch that uses a Valjoux cal. 7750 chronograph movement you are almost always going to lose part of the 12, 6 and oftentimes (not on this particular IWC) 9. Whereas on a watch that uses a Tricompax-choronograph dial design such as one which uses a Piguet cal. 1185, you tend to lose part of the 3,6, and 9 indicators. It’s the price you pay for complications; they invariably take up dial real estate space. Example of a BP with a cal. 1185:
2185F-1130-71_5.JPG
Jon.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I know nothing about watches and am perfectly content to wear a nice (to me) plain Seiko dress watch my dad gave me for my 21st birthday many moons ago. A quick doltish question - what are the two smaller 'internal' circles/faces? The bottom one looks like it might be a second counter, but the watch appears to have a second hand....
confused.gif

Big second hand is for the stopwatch function. Upper small face I think is the minutes for the stopwatch. Lower small face is the second hand.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
In a watch that uses a Valjoux cal. 7750 chronograph movement you are almost always going to lose part of the 12, 6 and oftentimes (not on this particular IWC) 9. Whereas on a watch that uses a Tricompax-choronograph dial design such as one which uses a Piguet cal. 1185, you tend to lose part of the 3,6, and 9 indicators. It’s the price you pay for complications; they invariably take up dial real estate space.

Example of a BP with a cal. 1185:

2185F-1130-71_5.JPG

Jon.

Yeah, I get you. It's just that if I were having a watch custom-designed, for example, I would prefer to either scale down all the numerals to minimize obstruction, or eliminate the numerals that would otherwise be obstructed, especially when the obstruction would be as extensive as it is on the '6' in your picture!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Yeah, I get you. It's just that if I were having a watch custom-designed, for example, I would prefer to either scale down all the numerals to minimize obstruction, or eliminate the numerals that would otherwise be obstructed, especially when the obstruction would be as extensive as it is on the '6' in your picture!

Yeah, but you have to realize that only SO Much is possible, especially since you can't really get a bespoke movement, thus you are oftentimes stuck between: what size do you want the watch to be? What complications do you want it to have? How big do you want the dial to be? What kind of numerals? Etc... you have to find a compromise because getting a small watchmaker (read: 1 guy who probably belongs to the AHCI) to make everything exactly how you would like it to be is nearly impossible.

Jon.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unless you have some ungodly sum to give to Dufour, getting a bespoke watch is pretty impossible.

About cut off numbers, trust me, when you look at the entire face, you totally forget about it. It no longer matters. That BP is exquisite.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
unless you have some ungodly sum to give to Dufour, getting a bespoke watch is pretty impossible.

About cut off numbers, trust me, when you look at the entire face, you totally forget about it. It no longer matters. That BP is exquisite.

It's just a matter of personal preference, that's all.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to see a 3714 in person before getting it. I thought it looked incongrously cheap considering its design aspirations. I really didn't like the stamped numerals even though I understand that's an historically accurate detail. I'd rather get the big Portugieser. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with an IWC. I have an S/S 3706 on bracelet that's my favorite watch and is worn almost every day.

--Andre

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a couple IWC watches, and they are quite nice. The one in question is certainly a great watch IMO.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a classic. I could think of much worse choices in chronographs.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure you see the Port in person, especially with that dial combination. The watch actually measures 40.9mm, but wears significantly larger, like a 42-44mm due to non-existent bezel. Although IWC receives considerable flack for using reworked ETA movements, the 7750 is a great match for that particular dial configuration. I'm also planning to be an owner of the 3706 with a Spitfire dial in the very near future--I'm going to opt for a strap rather than a bracelet.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faust
IWC is the ****. It's the one brand that I may one day consider buying a watch from (other stuff I love, like Breguet is simply and will always be out of my league). Like others suggested, stay away from lower models with quartz movement, get an automatic. It's a classicly designed, masculine watch. A lot of them are on the larger side.

The Breguet pilot watch isn't out of your range.

pinchi22

Reaction score
I´ll second (or third) the IWC. I bought a (used) 3706 after much research, and I couldn´t be happier. While investigating watches, I thought I might get a bad case of watch acquisition disorder, but I´m so satisfied with my IWC´s precision and looks that I haven´t bought any other watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads