• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've Become Lactose-Intolerant

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I noticed a trend that I was getting a unique type of stomach cramping, followed by diarrhea, after I ate ice cream. Considering that I love ice cream and was eating it frequently during that time, I was able to see a definite correlation. Well, now I can't even enjoy half and half in my coffee now; and this morning I discovered that Brown Cow Yogurt (if you guys don't have access to Brown Cow, y'all are missing out) has the same effect.

I tried almond and soy milk for my coffee, but it's absurd to try to replace half and half with that **** - the flavor is off and ruins the taste of the coffee I go through the trouble and expense of drinking and there's the absence of the milk fat which made the combination with coffee so delicious.

So far, so good with the cheese on a cheese burger, thank God. But it's all pretty depressing right now because there are so many things that I absolutely love, like ice cream
ffffuuuu.gif
, that I just can not eat without physically paying for it later on.

Anyone else have this condition? And, if so, have you tried products like Lactaid and found that they work?

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That happens to me when I wear Izod shirts. Turns out I'm Lacoste-Intolerant.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not lactose-intolerant but have grown into some pretty serious food allergies over the past year or two, so I feel your pain man. Nothing sucks more than not being able to eat something you love after such a sudden change.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
GF is lactose-intolerant. She avoids things like big glasses of milk or tubs of ice cream. However, this doesn't stop us from going out to fancy meals loaded with butter or delicious cheeses after dinner (we did that this weekend). When we are out, we tend to request lower dairy, not avoid the butter used to make food, but lets not get the massive bowl of creamed clam chowder.

She does take lactose pills and they help her out a lot. Get the generic kind, pop a few before and during meals, and you'll be fine.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
She does take lactose pills and they help her out a lot. Get the generic kind, pop a few before and during meals, and you'll be fine.

This. Also, we are friends with a couple who frequently eat in our home. Both of them are lactose intolerant. They seem to always favor mixing non-lactose foods with their diary and eating a little slower.

bassmanpatsfan18

Reaction score
I used to be lactose intolerant, but have actually grown out of it in the past 6 months (I didn't really think this was possible, but apparently it is).

It's actually not as horrible as you might think. No, you won't be able to eat tubs of iced cream or drink glasses of milk, but there are a lot of other dairy products that you will in all likelihood still be able to eat. Most hard cheeses are safe for people who are lactose intolerant because the aging process breaks down the lactose in the cream. This means that cheddar, gouda, and (sharp) provolone should be okay for you. Mozzarella, ricotta, brie and the like probably won't be. As for anything in between, try it out yourself.

Lactose intolerance is different in everyone. Depending on the severity of your intolerance, you might or might not be able to continue to enjoy many dairy products without much inconvenience. For me, for instance, most mildly hard to hard cheeses were fine for me as was yogurt (The probiotics in yogurt partially digest lactose I believe).

Go to your G.I. doctor and get the hydrogen breath test. You obviously already know that you are lactose intolerant, but at least this test will be able to tell you approximately how severe your intolerance is. Then, you can experiment with different dairy products in different quantities and see what works for you.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's good to know Lactaid works. One of the redeeming things about it all is that I don't experience those symptoms if I don't consume the dairy. It's not like I'm being denied access to it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bassmanpatsfan18
I used to be lactose intolerant, but have actually grown out of it in the past 6 months (I didn't really think this was possible, but apparently it is).

GF grew out of it ... but then it came back
frown.gif

for the OP, try out some pills, see what suits you best. It's really no big deal and IMO cramps and runs are a far better alternative than any other food allergy.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life is better without dairy. Phlegm and sluggishness go away. Put Coffeemate in coffee. End of thread.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sucks, man. I know how much you love food, and I feel for you. By feel, of course I do not mean that I feel sick to my stomach after I eat delicious dairy, but that I feel bad that you do.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life is better without dairy. Phlegm and sluggishness go away. Put Coffeemate in coffee. Eat broccoli for calcium and vitamin D. End of thread.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm lactose-intolerant but thankfully, Canada sells lactose-free milk.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur