• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It seems nobody likes cufflinks

stuarts8

Reaction score
No, I never wear cufflinks with jeans. But if I am wearing a suit out to a restaurant/club/arts opening etc without a tie (suit is then usually black) I will still wear cufflinks without the tie.

I never roll my sleeves up at work (unless it is casual Friday and I am not wearing a frencjh cuff shirt but rather a casuallong-sleeve shirt) - although all the boys on the dealing desk often roll theirs up. Us analysts are a little cooler than the trading cowboys. I hate that look anyway (rolled up business sleeves).
Danny, you should give wearing a French cuff shirt with Jeans a go. It looks great as one or 2 others on the board testify.
French cuff shirts and cufflinks do not just have to be worn with suits you know . Be a Devil. give it a go.

You say you never roll your sleeves up at work.
What about those hot Sydney summer days which I know about having been there on such occasions.
Surely there must be times the cufflinks need to be undone and the sleeves rolled back. Much more comfortable in hot weather.
Even though you do not like the look, practicalities are involved here.
Perhaps you would loosen the tie and drop the top Button open in these circumstances.
Cheers
Stuart

My View

Reaction score
I like cuff-links and have about 10 to 12 pairs, from the more "classic" ones to funky ones. But not being a very funky person, I don't wear the funky ones very much.

I also have about 10 pairs of silk knots in various colours. They are relatively cheap but can look very nice.

Some of the more "classic" Dunhill cufflinks are actually very nice, but I think they are slightly overpriced for my budget. But I do buy them when they are on sale (ranging from 20% to 40% discount in Asia).

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are overpriced whatever your budget is since their increase of 40% .

What are your favorite on Dunhill site?

Chilli padi

Reaction score
In a sense I have come full circle on the cufflinks issue.  I started work with plain one-button barrel cuffs.  This was back in the good old days when I knew nothing about quality shirts.  The scales were subsequently lifted from my eyes and I banished all shirts with button-down collars and/or pockets to the back of the wardrobe in preference for numerous Jermyn Street shirts from Thomas Pink and TM Lewin.  I probably have about 15 pairs of cufflinks -- a mixture of silk knots, enamels and more formal sterling silver and semi-precious stone links.  But frankly I wear them very infrequently now.  After about 5 years of almost constant wearing of cufflinks I am now fed up with the hassle and instead for day-to-day business and casual wear I have opted for three-button barrel cuffs on all of my new shirts.  I still wear French cuffs and cufflinks at important business meetings and formal occassions, but this is pretty rare.

stuarts8

Reaction score
Chilli Padi ,there is absolutely No Hassle about wearing cufflinks.They make one look really smart and are a good talking point. I absolutely refuse to wear barrel cuff shirts.
All my shirts are French cuff and I have no Hassles with them whatsoever, Granted the cufflinks do take a little longer to put on but not much.
They look particularly nice worn casually.
I must admit whenever I can I encourage people to wear French cuff shirts and cufflinks.
I urge you to reconsider your stance.
Cheers
Staurt

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the snap type links? I haven't seen new ones but there are lots of old ones with two separate sides each with a snap. You stick one through each side of the cuff then snap them together. Granted it's a pain to put most links in with the shirt on but this type could be put in before putting on the shirt, saving a lot of hassle.

stuarts8

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the snap type links? I haven't seen new ones but there are lots of old ones with two separate sides each with a snap. You stick one through each side of the cuff then snap them together. Granted it's a pain to put most links in with the shirt on but this type could be put in before putting on the shirt, saving a lot of hassle.
I have to say, I haven`t seen this type of link.
As you say, j, it is an older type .i must look on Ebay.
Stuart

stuarts8

Reaction score
I love cuff-links, but I rarely wear them anymore -- perhaps 2-3 times per month.  First, my office is mostly business casual unless clients are in the office, etc.  Second, they take longer to deal with in the morning (lame, I know, but w/kids, dog, wife, etc....).   Third, I like having the ability to ROLL UP MY SLEEVES sometimes, especially during the warmer months or when I'm particularly busy at work.  Yes, I suppose one can roll up FC shirts, but it's much more of a production.
Hello Kabert.Just wondered since this thread, took place whether you have had a chance to wear your French cuff shirts with the sleeves rolled up and the Links left in?
As I said before , I love this look particularly when its hot and i have never lost one worn this way either.
If you haven`t , Perhaps give it a try .
Stuarts8

stuarts8

Reaction score
why do I see this post but no recent reply.
Perhaps Ernest, you could let me have your thoughts on my previous post. Have you ever rolled up the French cuff shirtsleeves and left the links in? I reccomend it . It is a good look in hot weather .Quite stylish in my view.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear links with suits exclusively. And in my opinion, one of the more distorted markets on eBay is the one for cufflinks. Good for us.

Over the years, I've purchased about fifteen sets of links and dress sets from the first half of the twentieth century, all double sided and sterling or gold for wonderful prices.

I found my first good links at James Robinson in New York years ago. Since, I've had a great time buying comparable quality gold and sterling links on eBay for an 80% discount off their prices.

Button cuffs for odd jackets and weekends. Otherwise, cufflinks for me.

Will

Tom

Reaction score
All of my shirts are French cuff. I wear silk knots every single day (usually with a white doctors jacket). They are not over the top, people who notice are always impressed with them. I only have silk knots, dozens of them, and I do not own any other cufflinks.

-Tom

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 16 July 2004, 06:56) why do I see this post but no recent reply.
Perhaps Ernest, you could let me have your thoughts on my previous post. Have you ever rolled up the French cuff shirtsleeves and left the links in? I reccomend it . It is a good look in hot weather .Quite stylish in my view.
Yes I have and I lost a cufflink... Roll up but put your cufflinks in your pocket unless you are in a place where you do NOT move and where you close your cuff before leaving ( so you can know if one is under your seat&#33
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads