1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

It seems nobody likes cufflinks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dug, Apr 8, 2004.

1. dug

dug Well-Known Member

2. fareau

fareau Senior Member

I guess that typically French cuff shirts are more expensive so that might discourage many people. Also, the not-so-subtle trend toward casual dress makes the cufflink-look seem excessive to some (I know, it's silly). I really like cufflinks, but in all honesty, I very rarely wear them.

3. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior Member

Good question. I personally love cufflinks; I typically wear them with suits, but during the school year, I really do not have that option, so I go to wearing them casually such as now. In fact today I am wearing a Burberry french cuffed shirt, untucked, with jeans and navy blue silk knots. I love the look. Personally, I think it is better that most people don't wear them, as it makes those that do wear them, stand out a little more. Certainly I wouldn't want to be accused of following some fad. I would think that the onset of french cuffed shirts from cheaper retailers like Banana Republic would bring more people to wear them, however I have really not seen any students on my college campus wearing, them, except me of course. [​IMG] If you like them like I do, wear them proudly. [​IMG]

4. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it is better that most people don't wear them, as it makes those that do wear them, stand out a little more = ok

But nobody means on this site for me....

5. gregory

gregory Senior Member

Personally, I think that cufflinks are almost a necessity for shirts worn with suits. They are optional for business casual or casual dressing.

For business casual or casual dressing, I think I like cufflinks, silknots and buttons equally. These are fine when worn with jeans or wool trousers. However, I prefer buttons for shirts worn with khakis or cotton pants.

6. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior Member

I recall a couple of discussions on cufflinks. And most people on this board seemed to like them, if I remember correctly.

Granted, we haven't talked about them in a little while. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say most members of the Forum like cufflinks. I, for one, do.

7. dug

dug Well-Known Member

But nobody means on this site for me....
    I recall a couple of discussions on cufflinks. Â And most people on this board seemed to like them, if I remember correctly. Â Â Granted, we haven't talked about them in a little while. Â Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say most members of the Forum like cufflinks. Â I, for one, do.
    But very few owns and few wears... I do not talk about students who have no money and do not wear suits very often but about guys spending many on suits, shoes, shirts but having only 1 or 2 pairs of poor cufflinks they received as gift. Evrybody wear tie/suits/shirts but a little % cufflinks. Look around you. I like cufflinks very much. I only wear double cuff to work so I bought many to have choice. Now when I find a good price I buy. Finally I have 15 pairs of cufflinks (8 from Dunhill). It is the same for braces as I have 15 pairs now. I know nobody like me. Am I normal?

8. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

I almost always wear cufflinks if I'm wearing a suit.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I love cufflinks.

10. dug

dug Well-Known Member

How many have you got?

which style? form?

your favorite brand?

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I have 2 cufflinks, both by Paul Smith (one is the target-y design, I forgot what you call that, it's red white and blue), and the naked lady rectangular ones.

I have a few silk knots that I got from Jantzen as well.

My favorite for pretty much all accessories is Paul Smith.

12. dug

dug Well-Known Member

you see. you love them and you have only 2 pairs.

usually when you love you own much than 2, no?

are you student?

13. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Imagine people who does not specialy like them...

they have 1 or 2 pairs received as gift

14. dug

dug Well-Known Member

what do you think about dunhill?

I guess they are very nice, classic with originality but too expensive. So I buy them only with a solid discount (at least 40%)

15. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

I have 2 cufflinks, both by Paul Smith (one is the target-y design, I forgot what you call that, it's red white and blue), and the naked lady rectangular ones. I have a few silk knots that I got from Jantzen as well. My favorite for pretty much all accessories is Paul Smith.
    what do you think about dunhill? I guess they are very nice, classic with originality but too expensive. So I buy them only with a solid discount (at least 40%)
    Dunhill makes nice cufflinks, but like all of their products, they are overly expensive. Nice designs though. Right now I'm a student and don't wear suits, so it would look out-of-place for me to wear shirts with cufflinks. I plan on purchasing double-cuff shirts and cufflinks in a few years though.