It seems nobody likes cufflinks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dug, Apr 8, 2004.

1. dug

dug Well-Known Member

2. fareau

fareau Senior member

I guess that typically French cuff shirts are more expensive so that might discourage many people. Also, the not-so-subtle trend toward casual dress makes the cufflink-look seem excessive to some (I know, it's silly). I really like cufflinks, but in all honesty, I very rarely wear them.

3. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

Good question. I personally love cufflinks; I typically wear them with suits, but during the school year, I really do not have that option, so I go to wearing them casually such as now. In fact today I am wearing a Burberry french cuffed shirt, untucked, with jeans and navy blue silk knots. I love the look. Personally, I think it is better that most people don't wear them, as it makes those that do wear them, stand out a little more. Certainly I wouldn't want to be accused of following some fad. I would think that the onset of french cuffed shirts from cheaper retailers like Banana Republic would bring more people to wear them, however I have really not seen any students on my college campus wearing, them, except me of course. [​IMG] If you like them like I do, wear them proudly. [​IMG]

4. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it is better that most people don't wear them, as it makes those that do wear them, stand out a little more = ok

But nobody means on this site for me....

5. gregory

gregory Senior member

Personally, I think that cufflinks are almost a necessity for shirts worn with suits. They are optional for business casual or casual dressing.

For business casual or casual dressing, I think I like cufflinks, silknots and buttons equally. These are fine when worn with jeans or wool trousers. However, I prefer buttons for shirts worn with khakis or cotton pants.

6. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

I recall a couple of discussions on cufflinks. And most people on this board seemed to like them, if I remember correctly.

Granted, we haven't talked about them in a little while. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say most members of the Forum like cufflinks. I, for one, do.

7. dug

dug Well-Known Member

But nobody means on this site for me....
    I recall a couple of discussions on cufflinks. Â And most people on this board seemed to like them, if I remember correctly. Â Â Granted, we haven't talked about them in a little while. Â Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say most members of the Forum like cufflinks. Â I, for one, do.
    But very few owns and few wears... I do not talk about students who have no money and do not wear suits very often but about guys spending many on suits, shoes, shirts but having only 1 or 2 pairs of poor cufflinks they received as gift. Evrybody wear tie/suits/shirts but a little % cufflinks. Look around you. I like cufflinks very much. I only wear double cuff to work so I bought many to have choice. Now when I find a good price I buy. Finally I have 15 pairs of cufflinks (8 from Dunhill). It is the same for braces as I have 15 pairs now. I know nobody like me. Am I normal?

8. Kai

Kai Senior member

I almost always wear cufflinks if I'm wearing a suit.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I love cufflinks.

10. dug

dug Well-Known Member

How many have you got?

which style? form?

your favorite brand?

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I have 2 cufflinks, both by Paul Smith (one is the target-y design, I forgot what you call that, it's red white and blue), and the naked lady rectangular ones.

I have a few silk knots that I got from Jantzen as well.

My favorite for pretty much all accessories is Paul Smith.

12. dug

dug Well-Known Member

you see. you love them and you have only 2 pairs.

usually when you love you own much than 2, no?

are you student?

13. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Imagine people who does not specialy like them...

they have 1 or 2 pairs received as gift

14. dug

dug Well-Known Member

what do you think about dunhill?

I guess they are very nice, classic with originality but too expensive. So I buy them only with a solid discount (at least 40%)

15. VMan

VMan Senior member

I have 2 cufflinks, both by Paul Smith (one is the target-y design, I forgot what you call that, it's red white and blue), and the naked lady rectangular ones. I have a few silk knots that I got from Jantzen as well. My favorite for pretty much all accessories is Paul Smith.
    what do you think about dunhill? I guess they are very nice, classic with originality but too expensive. So I buy them only with a solid discount (at least 40%)
    Dunhill makes nice cufflinks, but like all of their products, they are overly expensive. Nice designs though. Right now I'm a student and don't wear suits, so it would look out-of-place for me to wear shirts with cufflinks. I plan on purchasing double-cuff shirts and cufflinks in a few years though.