1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

It seems nobody likes cufflinks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dug, Apr 8, 2004.

1. dug

dug Well-Known Member

2. fareau

fareau Senior member

I guess that typically French cuff shirts are more expensive so that might discourage many people. Also, the not-so-subtle trend toward casual dress makes the cufflink-look seem excessive to some (I know, it's silly). I really like cufflinks, but in all honesty, I very rarely wear them.

3. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

Good question. I personally love cufflinks; I typically wear them with suits, but during the school year, I really do not have that option, so I go to wearing them casually such as now. In fact today I am wearing a Burberry french cuffed shirt, untucked, with jeans and navy blue silk knots. I love the look. Personally, I think it is better that most people don't wear them, as it makes those that do wear them, stand out a little more. Certainly I wouldn't want to be accused of following some fad. I would think that the onset of french cuffed shirts from cheaper retailers like Banana Republic would bring more people to wear them, however I have really not seen any students on my college campus wearing, them, except me of course. [​IMG] If you like them like I do, wear them proudly. [​IMG]

4. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it is better that most people don't wear them, as it makes those that do wear them, stand out a little more = ok

But nobody means on this site for me....

5. gregory

gregory Senior member

Personally, I think that cufflinks are almost a necessity for shirts worn with suits. They are optional for business casual or casual dressing.

For business casual or casual dressing, I think I like cufflinks, silknots and buttons equally. These are fine when worn with jeans or wool trousers. However, I prefer buttons for shirts worn with khakis or cotton pants.

6. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

I recall a couple of discussions on cufflinks. And most people on this board seemed to like them, if I remember correctly.

Granted, we haven't talked about them in a little while. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say most members of the Forum like cufflinks. I, for one, do.

7. dug

dug Well-Known Member

But nobody means on this site for me....
    I recall a couple of discussions on cufflinks. Â And most people on this board seemed to like them, if I remember correctly. Â Â Granted, we haven't talked about them in a little while. Â Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say most members of the Forum like cufflinks. Â I, for one, do.
    But very few owns and few wears... I do not talk about students who have no money and do not wear suits very often but about guys spending many on suits, shoes, shirts but having only 1 or 2 pairs of poor cufflinks they received as gift. Evrybody wear tie/suits/shirts but a little % cufflinks. Look around you. I like cufflinks very much. I only wear double cuff to work so I bought many to have choice. Now when I find a good price I buy. Finally I have 15 pairs of cufflinks (8 from Dunhill). It is the same for braces as I have 15 pairs now. I know nobody like me. Am I normal?

8. Kai

Kai Senior member

I almost always wear cufflinks if I'm wearing a suit.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I love cufflinks.

10. dug

dug Well-Known Member

How many have you got?

which style? form?

your favorite brand?

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I have 2 cufflinks, both by Paul Smith (one is the target-y design, I forgot what you call that, it's red white and blue), and the naked lady rectangular ones.

I have a few silk knots that I got from Jantzen as well.

My favorite for pretty much all accessories is Paul Smith.

12. dug

dug Well-Known Member

you see. you love them and you have only 2 pairs.

usually when you love you own much than 2, no?

are you student?

13. dug

dug Well-Known Member

Imagine people who does not specialy like them...

they have 1 or 2 pairs received as gift

14. dug

dug Well-Known Member

what do you think about dunhill?

I guess they are very nice, classic with originality but too expensive. So I buy them only with a solid discount (at least 40%)

15. VMan

VMan Senior member

I have 2 cufflinks, both by Paul Smith (one is the target-y design, I forgot what you call that, it's red white and blue), and the naked lady rectangular ones. I have a few silk knots that I got from Jantzen as well. My favorite for pretty much all accessories is Paul Smith.
    what do you think about dunhill? I guess they are very nice, classic with originality but too expensive. So I buy them only with a solid discount (at least 40%)
    Dunhill makes nice cufflinks, but like all of their products, they are overly expensive. Nice designs though. Right now I'm a student and don't wear suits, so it would look out-of-place for me to wear shirts with cufflinks. I plan on purchasing double-cuff shirts and cufflinks in a few years though.

16. j

j Senior member Admin

I have a lot of cufflinks as they have been on my regular thrift store circuit for a long time and I have gotten a few as gifts. Some favorites are my Pound/Dollar sign sterling ones from Links of London, and some antique/vintage enameled small octagonal ones that cost $3 at a thrift store but are probably worth quite a bit. I wear them whenever I can but I don't wear suits or even jackets around so my better shirts don't get used that much. I really don't see wearing contrast collar/cuff shirts without a suit, either.

I don't really know the brands and I don't worry about it. All new stuff like that is IMO too expensive, at least for my budget. I found a bunch at Thomas Pink, Ben Silver and Charles Tyrwhitt (all online) that I like though.

17. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would guess that 20% of the shirts I make have french cuffs.

I have a fun collection of cufflinks. I still use the ones that my parents bought me when I was a kid. turtles, silver bulls from Mexico, and a pair of dice
    I usually wear a silver pair of Gorge Jensens or MOP set on a gold solid base.

I never wear silk knots.
    I have a couple pair of enamel links that i find a bother to put in.

18. stuarts8

stuarts8 Senior member

100% of the dress shirts i own have French Cuffs. I will not wear barrel cuffs.
    My favourite pair of Thunderbird 2 cufflinks.purchased o n Ebay.I also have some Aircraft cufflinks which are also Great.
    I really like wearing them. you do not have to wear them with a Tie . It is quite the fashion to wear them casually these
    days.
    Stuart

19. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

I think i have about 30% or so French Cuff shirts. I like them a lot, but I do agree with some of you that its tough when in a casual environment. I have started (recently) wearing cuffs when I go out, with no tie or jacket. Just with nice jeans. Its a pretty good look, and I have gotten nothing but compliments.

As for buying links, I have bought a number of pairs on ebay. People sell the wildest stuff, so you can always get something different than the same old "silver knot" pair that everyone seems to wear.

20. General Koskov

General Koskov Well-Known Member

I think that a fancy barrel cuff is just as appropriate as a double-cuff. Except with black-tie, of course.

If one has two or three double-stacked MOP buttons, and a nice design to the cuff itself, surely this is as nice as some cufflinks.

But I must say that, aside from the people on style boards like this, no one cares about cufflinks.

And what about single-linked cuffs? I believe they were in style in the nineteenth century and maybe the 20th also? Personally I don't see a point in a double-layer anyway....