• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IT People - need advice on a side job

g-banger

Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope 2012 has been a great year for you all so far.

I am needing some advice from you, which I have yet received from any colleges or friends.

To give you some background, I am 25, working as a IT Project Manager (2yrs experience in IT ) I enjoy my job and love everything there is about IT. Previously I worked for 7 years in retail which includes my time at school and university.

This year I'm hoping to save so I can look at putting down a deposit for my first property, I currently work approx 40--50 hour week (depending on what phase of project i'm on).

As my dad says, nothing comes easy you need to make sacrifices. (i'm willing to work on Saturdays)

I'm up for any suggestions on how to use my skills (preferably IT skills) to create a side job?

Thanks in advance

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All,
I hope 2012 has been a great year for you all so far.
I am needing some advice from you, which I have yet received from any colleges or friends.
To give you some background, I am 25, working as a IT Project Manager (2yrs experience in IT ) I enjoy my job and love everything there is about IT. Previously I worked for 7 years in retail which includes my time at school and university.
This year I'm hoping to save so I can look at putting down a deposit for my first property, I currently work approx 40--50 hour week (depending on what phase of project i'm on).
As my dad says, nothing comes easy you need to make sacrifices. (i'm willing to work on Saturdays)
I'm up for any suggestions on how to use my skills (preferably IT skills) to create a side job?
Thanks in advance

Can you code? Simple iPhone apps will probably not make you much money but you could get lucky

g-banger

Reaction score

Can you code? Simple iPhone apps will probably not make you much money but you could get lucky

yes kinda, but unfortunately not at the level to create an app - I did some really basic C++ back at uni and thats bout it. i'm very out of touch and only scrapped through on those classes hehe

cheers

Last edited:

Aditi190

Reaction score
yes kinda, but unfortunately not at the level to create an app - I did some really basic C++ back at uni and thats bout it. i'm very out of touch and only scrapped through on those classes hehe
cheers

I think even if you have some basic coding knowledge in micro-technology, then you could develop some mobile apps. As you said you have basic c++ knowledge, I don't think it's enough to start any side business. I think you should try some website development for clients e.g. Hotels, Travel companies, Showrooms, Banks etc.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lemme think about this. Okay, got it. You're looking to save money... so you came here?! A site devoted to spending it.

Anyway, having goals and saving and investing in property are commendable...

You're an IT PM. In my experience there are two types: legit techs who grew into the managerial job, and non-techs who started as managers and who know some, but not much, about IT. Which one are you? I suspect you're the later since you make no mention of specific tech knowledge. But I may be wrong. Are you an Oracle DB programmer? Have in-depth knowledge of SAP, especially the financials? Can troubleshoot EIGRP routing issues? Deployed a few thousand desktops in a few evenings? If I threw you a Ruby on Rails project could you complete it? If you have tier 3 know-how that can't be undercut by offshore workers you can pick up part-time work - there's a sh*tload of Indians willing to work for 20, 50, 100 dollars. But there's the catch: demanding clients. A lot think part-time means temporary full-time. If they start interfering w/ your full-time work, or your full-time employer senses your priorities have shifted... you'll soon be a no-time worker. I know some who supplement their income by teaching/training in the evening and weekends. If your full-time job doesn't require your availability at all times this may be an option. Part-time jobs that have a public face ought to be discussed w/ your full-time employer.

g-banger

Reaction score

Lemme think about this. Okay, got it. You're looking to save money... so you came here?! A site devoted to spending it.
Anyway, having goals and saving and investing in property are commendable...
You're an IT PM. In my experience there are two types: legit techs who grew into the managerial job, and non-techs who started as managers and who know some, but not much, about IT. Which one are you? I suspect you're the later since you make no mention of specific tech knowledge. But I may be wrong. Are you an Oracle DB programmer? Have in-depth knowledge of SAP, especially the financials? Can troubleshoot EIGRP routing issues? Deployed a few thousand desktops in a few evenings? If I threw you a Ruby on Rails project could you complete it? If you have tier 3 know-how that can't be undercut by offshore workers you can pick up part-time work - there's a sh*tload of Indians willing to work for 20, 50, 100 dollars. But there's the catch: demanding clients. A lot think part-time means temporary full-time. If they start interfering w/ your full-time work, or your full-time employer senses your priorities have shifted... you'll soon be a no-time worker. I know some who supplement their income by teaching/training in the evening and weekends. If your full-time job doesn't require your availability at all times this may be an option. Part-time jobs that have a public face ought to be discussed w/ your full-time employer.

Thanks for the honest feedback

I would say i am technical enough to build a server/ build a few simple VM's/Understand how AD works & Exchange/some troubleshooting of Citrix/understanding of SCCM etc..

But you are spot on - I'm still in the early part of my career, and if the side work is going to affect my full time job then its definitely worth delaying my goals or looking at other options which just require no "strings" Attached work

Back to the drawing board :)

Thanks Again.

kushburner

Reaction score
IT consulting? Though it seems that you dont have nearly enough experience yet. Something to consider for the future though. Im looking to be a project manager as well.

sam132

Reaction score
Check it Affiliate Marketing it's a great way to make a residual income on the side.

Although there is a steep learning curve.

Check the Warrior Forum (it's an internet marketing forum) it will help you get started.

Sam

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics