• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this suit outdated?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the bigger problem are the sleeves. Right now longer sleeves and a shorter jacket is popular. This bucks that trend and has the wonky pinstripes to boot. I'd put it to rest.

yeeth

Reaction score
imo sleeves/length are not the biggest problem, they can be altered. but the pinstripes don't look too good, and as mentioned previously 3-button is hard to pull off unless you play for the NBA.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well well then, I must be one of the few people here that prefer 3 button to 2 - but I am 6ft4" tall.

As for OP's suit - the sleeves need to be let out (button holes too close to cuff). The design is a tad too square for me but that can be partially fixed by a good tailor. Biggest problem you will have are those stripes.

Matt S

Reaction score
Why do so many people hate 3-button suits now? It wasn't this way a few years ago. 3-button suits are more traditional than 2-button suits. And the suit in question is clearly a classic 3-button, not a trendy 90s abomination. The only thing wrong with the suit is the bold pattern. 2-button suits are of course more in fashion right now, but since when did that concern anyone here? One doesn't need to be tall to pull off a 3-button suit, as some people above suggested. It's 4-button suits that are associated with the NBA, not 3-button. For those who hate 3-button suits, stop reading the fashion magazines and watch some classic movies.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Z Zegna is the trendier Zegna line, so cuts and fabrics are a bit more fashion-y. But the suit is still serviceable. In sum, it's fine.
+1 Wear it. It's perfectly fine.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hey you guys its not a pin stripe. pin stripes are one or two threads wide, no wider.
thats just a wide stripe. sheesh!

some folks would call this a gangster stripe.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
hey you guys its not a pin stripe. pin stripes are one or two threads wide, no wider.
thats just a wide stripe. sheesh!

some folks would call this a gangster stripe.

It's not bold enough for a gangster.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I did a bit more research on the suit. It's Z.Zegna, made in Mexico. That means it came out some time after 2004, according to the fashion model directory. I don't know why the buttons are close to the cuff, as the sleeves are still 26", according to the ebay listing for the sale of this suit.

I dunno. I could use a navy suit, but with this pattern (which I do like) it doesn't quite fit the bill. I'll probably pass on it.

It's certainly an older model of ZZ, in the five years the line has been on my radar I haven't seen a single suit offered with pleated trousers.

The problem with the sleeves and buttonholes is that whomever had the sleeves shortened initially cheaped out and had them done from the cuff, not the shoulder. The proper way to do this is from the shoulder. At the very least, if the tailor says it can be done w/o leaving a mark, you should have a button/buttonhole removed and just go down to three per sleeve.

In all honesty, you can almost certainly do better, especially since ZZ isn't really anything to write home about.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone weighing in - haters included.
sly.gif

Really - this was helpful. One thing I'm learning is that there's always another deal, so if I'm hesitating, it's usually not a bad idea to let it go - and that's what I'm going to do on this one.
But there's 5 hours left on the ebay auction, if any of y'all want to pick it up!

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Why do so many people hate 3-button suits now? It wasn't this way a few years ago. 3-button suits are more traditional than 2-button suits. And the suit in question is clearly a classic 3-button, not a trendy 90s abomination. The only thing wrong with the suit is the bold pattern. 2-button suits are of course more in fashion right now, but since when did that concern anyone here? One doesn't need to be tall to pull off a 3-button suit, as some people above suggested. It's 4-button suits that are associated with the NBA, not 3-button. For those who hate 3-button suits, stop reading the fashion magazines and watch some classic movies.

Agree with all of this, but your previous comment suggests not buttoning the top button. It looks like a hard three to me not a three roll 2.5, in which case buttoning the top button is OK or even preferred. Might just be down to personal taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads