• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this sports coat too tight around the waist?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. The reason I ask is I have a Men's Wearhouse gift card thank for Christmas, and I wish to take advantage of their BOGO deal. I want solid black and gray sports coats, but the local store doesn't have great options for gray. So, I'm turning to their online store.

Can't go wrong with Mens Wearhouse, BOGO, and dad jeans. The first jacket appears to fit you better. Do not buy a black sports jacket.

agg1987

Reaction score
Apple Maps didn't know that a Men's Warehouse existed. Google Maps corrected it to the proper location, hence the only reason I know the store's real name.

DJosef

Reaction score
"Styleforum says not to button the bottom button? **** you, I'm royalty"

Well we ARE talking about the infamous Duke of Windsor here. :) That jacket looks like a 2-roll-1 (wow, we might have discovered a new species!)

Anyway, this is the kind of fit around the waist that I like to emulate.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If a newcomer posted something like the abomination above, he would get trashed here. Terrible jacket. Button stance is way too high. That's why he needs to use the lower button. Upper sleeves are out of balance. Pants are baggy as ****. Nice tie tuck!

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I were you I would size up and get the waist taken in. It looks like the lapels are bowing a bit and the horizontal lines at the back indicate you need a larger chest size.

DJosef

Reaction score

If a newcomer posted something like the abomination above, he would get trashed here.
Terrible jacket. Button stance is way too high. That's why he needs to use the lower button.
Upper sleeves are out of balance.
Pants are baggy as ****.
Nice tie tuck!

I remember someone talking about bespoke jackets meant to be buttoned at the bottom button.
Well this is that. Look at the lapel, this is not a two-button with a high stance, it's one-button with an additional, non-functional button added. A two-roll-one if you will.

(EDIT: since not buttoning the bottom button anecdotally originated with his grandfather, this may be an act of family rebellion, which wouldn't be surprising at all)

Last edited:

Poloboy

Reaction score
This jacket is too small for you.
The lapels are already starting to bow.
The jacket is already starting to pull at the waist button.
You are only wearing a tee shirt underneath it, and these problems will only get worse with a dress shirt.
Return it, and get a proper fitting jacket.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Neither one appear tight at the waist. Why do you think they are tight, by the way it feels or the way it looks?

Poloboy

Reaction score
If you believe that a jacket should pull at the waist button, you are a Fool.
Learn how to dress correctly, before making IGNORANT comments.

DJosef

Reaction score
Whoa man, back off. If you want to continue in a civil manner, please post a reference or a photo of someone who can be considered a master of style worthy of imitating to prove your statement.
Otherwise I respectfully disagree, and that's the end of it, as I do not come here to have verbal fistfights.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads