• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this edward green on bluefly?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the prices for RLPL shoes have risen to $850 to $900, can anyone confirm?? Still a good deal (at retail) when the trees are factored in. Maybe RL get's a special wholesale price...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that a good deal? Recall someone posted a month or so ago about Richard's -- a high-end clothing/shoe store in Greenwich (or Darien?), CT -- that will order EG's (not RLPL's though) at a delivered cost of $675. When you factor in RLPL's use of last 89 and the inclusion of the shoetree, perhaps it's a closer call.... Either way, I certainly can't see calling EG directly to order shoes when Richard's can do it much more cheaply.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is that a good deal? Recall someone posted a month or so ago about Richard's -- a high-end clothing/shoe store in Greenwich (or Darien?), CT -- that will order EG's (not RLPL's though) at a delivered cost of $675. When you factor in RLPL's use of last 89 and the inclusion of the shoetree, perhaps it's a closer call.... Either way, I certainly can't see calling EG directly to order shoes when Richard's can do it much more cheaply.
Well, remember that while Phil continues to be able to special-order EG shoes from Richard's for $695 per pair, TimelessRider was quoted a significantly higher price ($950 for Halifax boots, if I recall correctly). I think that the speculation is that Phil's pricing reflects his status as a long-time Richard's customer and is not generally available to most people.

I know that I haven't been able to find special-order EGs for anywhere near that price, especially now with the precipitous fall in the dollar over the last year or so. In that context, $850 for EG shoes with trees is not unreasonable.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They may still be made by EG and that is how they differentiate slightly, but I wouldn't want someone to pay $500 expecting something and possibly getting another. There is a picture of EG Cardiff's on the "Shoe photos" topic and you can judge for yourself.
Since I have enough difficulty resisting EG shoes at regular price, there was virtually no chance that I would avoid buying ones in my size in a model and color that I've been considering anyway when they were available at a significant discount.

The shoes came today, and they are indeed EG shoes. For some reason, they came in a Polo Ralph Lauren shoe box, which might account for the way that Bluefly listed them. They were marked 9 1/2-10D, but for some reason, they fit more like my 9.5 E EG shoes than my 9.5 D EG shoes. Perhaps it's the last (89), or perhaps it's because they're bluchers where my other 9.5 D EG shoes are balmorals. I don't know. It's curious that there were no shoe bags when they came with the RL shoe trees (which rank only behind the two Vass versions of the different models that I've seen) and with the standard EG polishing cloth, minus the EG logo. Oh, well. In any event, they're well-worth the price that I paid.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since I have enough difficulty resisting EG shoes at regular price,
Do you think the two of us should establish a Twelve Step program of EGAA (Edward Green Addicts Anonymous)?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you think the two of us should establish a Twelve Step program of EGAA (Edward Green Addicts Anonymous)?

Hmmm, such a program could save me some money...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmmm, such a program could save me some money...
Yes, but you have to admit that you have a problem first. I don't have a problem. I can quit any time.
wink.gif

Phil

Reaction score
Concerning the Edward Green pricing at Richards, this is the latest development. I had picked up my Halifaxes from Arlyne at Richards last week, and paid 695.00. This past Thurs. Arylne called me and told me a funny story about a guy who called her, saying that she was referenced on a internet fashion forum, and asked her if in fact the prices were correct. She quoted 695.00 for him also. She told me they simply dont mark up the shoes as much as other stores. I dont know how long the prices will last considering the severe markup at other stores, but hopefully we can all enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This past Thurs. Arylne called me and told me a funny story about a guy who called her, saying that she was referenced on a internet fashion forum, and asked her if in fact the prices were correct. She quoted 695.00 for him also.
I'm glad to hear it, and I hope that Arlyne gets more orders from Style Forum members. It's a testament to the power of the internet.

Cpal

Reaction score
jcusey - did you order the brown or the black? I'm debating picking up one pair of each - near buy one get one free is too tempting.

Would you say they most closely resemble the cardiff?

Thanks.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
jcusey - did you order the brown or the black? I'm debating picking up one pair of each - near buy one get one free is too tempting. Would you say they most closely resemble the cardiff?
I ordered the brown. The actual color appears to be what EG calls chestnut antique, although they're a little bit darker than the other chestnut antique shoes that I have. They don't just resemble the Cardiff model; they are the Cardiff model.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jcusey - did you order the brown or the black? Â I'm debating picking up one pair of each - near buy one get one free is too tempting. Would you say they most closely resemble the cardiff?
I ordered the brown. The actual color appears to be what EG calls chestnut antique, although they're a little bit darker than the other chestnut antique shoes that I have. They don't just resemble the Cardiff model; they are the Cardiff model.
Thanks for being the "canary in the mine" on these shoes. Â I generally wouldn't pay this much for a pair of shoes, but I have a sizable Bluefly credit from my return of a mis-described suit and am thinking of splurging on the brown pair. Â Do antique-finished shoes need to be shined any differently than shoes with a uniform finish?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads