1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is this edward green on bluefly?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JohnMS, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Cpal

Cpal Well-Known Member

jcusey - did you order the brown or the black? I'm debating picking up one pair of each - near buy one get one free is too tempting.

Would you say they most closely resemble the cardiff?

Thanks.

2. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

jcusey, did you order 9 1/2 or 10?

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I ordered the brown. The actual color appears to be what EG calls chestnut antique, although they're a little bit darker than the other chestnut antique shoes that I have. They don't just resemble the Cardiff model; they are the Cardiff model.

4. jcusey

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

jcusey - did you order the brown or the black? Â I'm debating picking up one pair of each - near buy one get one free is too tempting. Would you say they most closely resemble the cardiff?
    I ordered the brown. The actual color appears to be what EG calls chestnut antique, although they're a little bit darker than the other chestnut antique shoes that I have. They don't just resemble the Cardiff model; they are the Cardiff model.
    Thanks for being the "canary in the mine" on these shoes. Â I generally wouldn't pay this much for a pair of shoes, but I have a sizable Bluefly credit from my return of a mis-described suit and am thinking of splurging on the brown pair. Â Do antique-finished shoes need to be shined any differently than shoes with a uniform finish?

6. jcusey

Well, thank you, although I deserve no credit because I wasn't consciously doing anybody but myself any service when I ordered them.

In any event, I shine my EG shoes just like any others. I'm certainly no expert in shoe shining, and I'm probably doing something wrong. However, it hasn't effected the antiquing on the shoes yet so far as I can see. I don't use shoe cream very much, and since shoe cream has more staining power than wax polish, that probably has something to do with it.

7. AJL

AJL Senior member

I ordered a pair Fri. nite, size 8, though I am typically a 7.5. Why, you might ask? Oh, what the hell, I thought I'd give it a try (they are lovely looking shoes and a relatively good value). Since it's Shoefly, at worst I'll be able to admire a nice pair of shoes and then send them back if they don't fit.

I am a sick, sick man.

-AJL

PS: I also ordered a pair of the RL/C&J cordovan desert boots, this time in a 7.5...

8. Cpal

Cpal Well-Known Member

I just received my black pair in the mail today - expecting the brown tomorrow. Great deal if you're in the market. Fit of the 89 last is very close to the fit of my Dovers which are made on the EG 606.

Thanks again to everyone on here - another great bargain..

9. Ambulance Chaser

I received the shoes in brown (actually closer to a dark tan) yesterday -- they are indeed beautiful.  Alas, although the shoes are marked as a 10D, my usual size, they feel a 1/2 size too big.  So back to Bluefly they go.

10. mack

mack Active Member

I received my brown shoes this afternoon and they are indeed quite nice.

A previous post I cannot locate talked about the time necessary to break in a pair of EGs.  My problem is that the 11D is a bit tight, but that the 11.5D, with a comfortable width, has the end of the toebox about 1.5 inches from the end of my toe. The shoes have a rounded rather than pointed toe.

So, how long should it take before these shoes are comfortable for long walks?  More importantly, is it reasonable to expect the width to loosen, or should I go for the longer length?

Again, many thanks to our shoe experts

11. jcusey

I wouldn't worry so much about the length of the shoes. What matters more to me is how they fit in the heels, in the arch, and on the top of the waist of the foot; and whether they break comfortably when walking.

The EG shoes that I have seem to have loosened up a bit in the width with wear. I haven't noticed any change at all in the length. They're typically very stiff out of the box and take maybe five or so extended wearings before they really begin to show their comfort potential.

12. Ambulance Chaser

For anyone who is interested in these shoes but hasn't purchased them already, Bluefly is selling them (and a lot of other stuff) for 10% off the sale price.