• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there anything to mimic the natural hair oiled look?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless your hair is monstrously thick, you would need a blow dryer for the Bateman look.

adamsnez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
Try rubbing a dab of jojoba oil into your hair. It's really easy to use too much though, so be careful.
WOW! I was going to suggest this. Im actually surprised some other dude knew about jojoba.
It's VERY close in resemblance [not just look-wise, but its chemistry-content] to your bodies natural oils. I poked a needle in the sealant top, and put ~5 droplets [i have a deece amount of hair tho
smile.gif
] on my palm then rub together and distribute through hand. W/ jojoba,a little goes a long way. It WILL make your hair look nast and weighed down if you overdo it, even a bit.

A little bottle costs ~10 (or less) but lasts FOREVER!

Sable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
Well not unwashed, but not dry looking. I want that shiney textured gloss

use wax or liquid/water-based pomade if you want shine

if your hair is extremely short a dab of babyoil will do the trick

FashionIQ

Reaction score
Garnier sleak and shine leave in conditioner probably does what you are looking for. Cheap stuff if you don't like it anyway.

lemonbishop

Reaction score
Baby oil (or the jojoba oil). Oil is the key. Vaseline Hair Tonic was the ultimate for this, but they don't make it any more. You could also use mineral oil. This would be the cheapest. Try each, and see if there is any difference. The thicker oils may offer more hold, maybe. You could even try regular Vaseline.

No hair product will work like the oils. Other products (even Waxes) will dry, and once dry, if you break the set, you are finished. Even wind can break the set. Oils do not dry to a set, they always feel natural (like you have nothing in your hair at all), and once in the hair, they are not coming out/off until you wash it off. As cautioned, start with a little until you know what is the amount for you. ALWAYS apply to wet hair, or you will have a terrible time (either way too much, or uneven distribution).

In addition to needing the right cut, oil would work to achieve both the looks posted. You could use other products for that longer-haired look, but it would not feel natural (or look natural beyond a photo).

kookydooky

Reaction score
You know how people use volumizing products on thin hair, what type of stuff would you use on thick? To weigh it down and make its flatter

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Same boat as the OP. I use american crew pomade, or have tried a bit of baby oil (bit too heavy and oily), and just bought some Brystlecreem taht I think will work very well (mineral oil but also some waxes).

jimbo123

Reaction score
Comb your hair with a little bit of olive oil.

Oh and it's not a good idea to wash your hair with water that's too hot or cold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads