• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there anything to mimic the natural hair oiled look?

kookydooky

Reaction score
Or a more textured soft look? I can usually achieve this after I wake up but I feel grubby if i go out without showering. I have tried not washing it for a few days but that seemed to backfire on me because of my pretty bad dandruff problem which just made my head flake like crazy.

My hair is thick and I style it similar to this
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1825019904/nm0135585

Except its longer and imagine it more straighter.

Any products I can use? I tend to just blow dry it to keep it in place then sometimes I might add a little bit of wax which seems to look good at first but later on goes all flat and sticky especially if my head is still a little wet (pretty much I dont want a flat wet look unless you can recommend a way of styling it with a bit of bounce) and I try to avoid products as much as possible but if you know something that could help I'll check it out

Hans

Reaction score
Why do you want your hair to look like that, anyway? "Unwashed hair look" doesn't sound very appealing.

kookydooky

Reaction score
Well not unwashed, but not dry looking. I want that shiney textured gloss

kookydooky

Reaction score
Yes ive tried Brylcreem but it made my hair flat and just plain oilly looking, and it doesnt smell that great either

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Try rubbing a dab of jojoba oil into your hair. It's really easy to use too much though, so be careful.

jgammel25

Reaction score
I think we probably have pretty similar hair and I also keep mine longer.. I know exactly what you're talking about, and I think it's mainly an issue for people with longer hair.. My hair tends to look really weird sometimes after I wash it, like its fake or not my normal hair....idk.. this is accentuated by its length.

Rather than going without showering.. I think washing your hair with just water, and shampooing only every 4-5 days, tends to help a lot. I still feel clean and get a lot of grime out without totally loosing all the hairs natural oils.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
Well not unwashed, but not dry looking. I want that shiney textured gloss

Try some hair tonic. Get the kind "with oil".

kookydooky

Reaction score
I used to not wash my hair everyday (think once a week, I actually went 3 weeks without washing with shampoo once) and well once I did wash it again I was swamped with dandruff lol and it was only until recently that i got rid of it (plus I had to cut my hair short to get rid of it).

ozonemania

Reaction score
You might want to try a styling paste... something thicker but dries pliable.

What you do is after you wash your hair, use a bit of styling paste with wet hands. The paste should whip up and almost be like a cream. Apply to your damp hair... it can't be dry or it won't work. And style the sort of shape you want it.

Then you have to let it air dry, or else you might lose the shine and the shape. Once it's dry you can work your hair with your hands so it still has a bit of a sheen/oily look but not look like it was slicked down.

I got this idea from my hair stylist. He used some paste when my hair was wet before putting me under those head dryers... going in I looked like a wet cat, but after it was dry and some styling with the hands it looked great.

Hope this helps.

dckik

Reaction score
I have super thick otherwise normal hair that becomes dense and pouffy under almost all conditions. In fact I get more thinning than cutting done at the barbers.

My solution for years has been to use B&B SuperGro from the african hair section. It took me awhile to realize how far a tiny sized amount went. It's basically super intense conditioners: Vitamin E, mineral oil, petrolatum.... It comes in 3 intensities. I use about a dime sized amount per day so a jar lasts a long time.

That is my humid summer solution, in winter, I like Jonathan product's 'Dirt' which is supposed to emulate the slept in texture but smells like almonds, and is really great. Doesn't have the bite/strength to last through a humid DC summer day though.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
when i want the tossled look on a freshly washed hair, i will take about a quarter size dab of kiehl's creme with silk groom and evenly distribute it all over my hair while its wet - then take a blow dryer and dry down the sides and form an overall shape but then let the rest air dry so my natural wave give it some texture. if i want a little more separation i break on some styling wax and it usually does the trick. i have really thick coarse hair though, so you probably wont have to use that much product.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
Try rubbing a dab of jojoba oil into your hair. It's really easy to use too much though, so be careful.

This^

So easy to get it wrong the first time. Start with just a small dab.

kookydooky

Reaction score
I hate that my hair is straight
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads