• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a term for non-welted shoes?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GamaH
Honestly, with the wear and tear my shoes get (because of my feet), I find it hard to see it as a "long-term" investment. Appearance is more important than "durability" to me. It doesn't matter if the shoe lasts 3 years, 5 years or 1 year. Either way, by then I'd probably have found a new pair to replace them. Furthermore, I usually have to change shoes every 2 years because the start to become too tight. I'll probably consider them "lifelong" investments when I can wear the same shoe for more than 2 years. For this reason, I do not bother with shell cordovan shoes; the quality may be there, sure, but I'm not gonna be able to experience it anyway. How are these Berluti shoes constructed?
evade_berluti.jpg

Probably Blake-Rapid. Can you see stitching (even if tucked a bit under the vamp)? If not probably Blake.

GamaH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
Probably Blake-Rapid. Can you see stitching (even if tucked a bit under the vamp)? If not probably Blake.
How exactly does one differentiate between cement construction and Blake? I mean, this is Blake (according to the website anyway):
sdxd-g507-ksu-n3-detailc-64609.jpg
Looks no different from the one I posted in the OP.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How exactly does one differentiate between cement construction and Blake? I mean, this is Blake (according to the website anyway):
sdxd-g507-ksu-n3-detailc-64609.jpg
Looks no different from the one I posted in the OP.

Blake is sewn just as I described for Blake-Rapid--vertically through the insole but in the case of simple Blake there is no midsole. The sewing connects the insole directly to an outsole. Usually there is a groove cut into the surface of the outsole and the stitches are embedded in that groove. T These stitches are usually visible (and therefore vulnerable to water wicking up into the inside of the shoe and abrasion from dirt and gravel). They would not be visible in the case of "channel stitching" and, of course, there is no thread and no such connection with cement sole construction. So the bottom of the outsole would be entirely smooth.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
You seriously need to chill the hell out. People aren't allowed to have opinions now? And it's more like a car having some massive bumpers rather than wheels. If you didn't realize, most supercars would get crushed like a bug in an accident, but it doesn't stop them from not including massive bumpers, because it takes away from the sleekness. Hell, most of them hardly have any visible ones. Big deal.
lamborghini-murcielago-accident.jpg

Don't worry, OP. We're just joking about. Your point leads to an interesting discussion. Apologies.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Furthermore, I usually have to change shoes every 2 years because the start to become too tight. I'll probably consider them "lifelong" investments when I can wear the same shoe for more than 2 years.

I assume you're pretty young and still growing then? If this case it does make sense to buy cheaper shoes, no point spending a lot of money on something you'll grow out of quickly. When you've stopped growing though, you should invest in quality shoes, as they can last many years.

GamaH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
Don't worry, OP. We're just joking about. Your point leads to an interesting discussion. Apologies.
No worries.
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I assume you're pretty young and still growing then? If this case it does make sense to buy cheaper shoes, no point spending a lot of money on something you'll grow out of quickly. When you've stopped growing though, you should invest in quality shoes, as they can last many years.
Not really. I haven't grown height wise in a long time, but my feet don't seem to have stopped growing; that, or my shoes are shrinking. Don't know what's up with that, tbh.

Artking3

Reaction score
Not really. I haven't grown height wise in a long time, but my feet don't seem to have stopped growing; that, or my shoes are shrinking. Don't know what's up with that, tbh.

Weight loss or gain would affect the width of your feet.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Weltless shoes?Just a wild guess.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How are these Berluti shoes constructed?
evade_berluti.jpg

Is that a promo shot or do you own these? It would be interesting to see the bottoms.

GamaH

Reaction score
Is that a promo shot or do you own these?

It would be interesting to see the bottoms.

Unfortunately, it's a promo shot. I want them though.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A tentative warning...tentative, because it won't apply to every maker...

I have seen deconstructions of what was touted as high-end Blake/Rapid shoes and some are made with fiberboard or leatherboard insoles (cardboard, IOW). Then the insole...and more importantly, the stitching...is covered with a sock liner. So the actual insole material is not readily apparent.

I suspect that really top shelf B/R construction wont use "board" insoles but it is something to keep in mind.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Berluti are blake...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads