• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is sales the most soul crushing job alive?

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swaggerisaliability
Most soul crushing job = investment banking, especially at entry levels

i take it you speak from experience? why do you say that?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swaggerisaliability
Working 80+ hours a week, sometimes getting to 100, is no exactly fun.

I'm not disputing you but long hours does not equal soul crushing. It's just tiring. I worked 18 hr shifts in a fish processing plant in Alaska and I was ******* tired all the time but I didn't question humanity. Having people spend all day trying to make you go away is soul crushing.

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I'm not disputing you but long hours does not equal soul crushing. It's just tiring. I worked 18 hr shifts in a fish processing plant in Alaska and I was ******* tired all the time but I didn't question humanity. Having people spend all day trying to make you go away is soul crushing.

this

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like other people have pointed out, it all depends what you're selling. If you're trying to sell people something you don't believe in and they don't want, that would be soul crushing. But if the opposite is true, it could actually be enjoyable (provided you're the type of person who's a good salesman) In high school I worked on commission at retail stores selling sneakers and track pants and stuff like that. I was one of those kids with the attitude of "just buy something expensive, I really don't care why" so obviously I did pretty crappy in terms of commissions.
laugh.gif
In first year university I became a cashier at Zellers (like a Canadian K-Mart.) The pay was crappy, but that was pretty easy. The only hassle was I always got in trouble for not going through this whole routine of "do you want to put this on your Zellers credit card? Do you want to use you zellers rewards card? do you want to sign up for a zellers credit card? Do you want to sign up for a zellers rewards card? (if they say no to everything, tell them how many zellers points the COULD have earned)." for every single customer, even if they were buying just a can of coke.
plain.gif

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had worked as a clerk at the local gas stations. It's a lot more soul crushing than anything out there. I've wondered why they don't just automate the process so I don't get this "rush" every time I see an unsavory character entering the storefront.

swaggerisaliability

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack

Oh, I misinterpreted the thread. I would have to agree with your statement. In the spectrum of jobs, telemarketing would probably come in dead last for me.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sales people who like what they're selling and do a good job of representing themselves and their products are commendable.

If you're getting a lot of bad feedback you're probably doing it wrong.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I love sales. And I **** you not, I sold sunglasses to a blind man. True story.

I don't know if you're joking or not, but it's actually pretty easy to sell sunglasses to blind people as most blind people wear them.

Selling refrigerators to eskimos, however - that's real sales ability!
tounge.gif

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I don't know if you're joking or not, but it's actually pretty easy to sell sunglasses to blind people as most blind people wear them.

Selling refrigerators to eskimos, however - that's real sales ability!
tounge.gif

Ive sold popsicles to women in white gloves, and bubblegum to people in the lockjaw ward at Bellevue.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sales is both the highest and lowest paying job that there is. 100% Commission sales at least.

I've had some incredibly wonderful and some extremely poor years at sales.

If I had one tip it would be to quickly forget rejection.

Someone could MF you and really get you down but immediately forget it and visualize your next lead ( appointment, cold call ) as your best sale ever.

I have noticed that as I've gotten older I guess I'm less hungry and I tend to give things away or work on ridiculous margins. But I wasn't like that in my 20s.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Mamet's absolute masterpiece ( to me at least ).

"You see this watch"
laugh.gif

I wear a Seiko. I have friends in Tanglewood and River Oaks ( good sections of Houston ) that wear Casios!

Sales can be fun and not always be this brutal.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Mamet's absolute masterpiece ( to me at least ).

"You see this watch"
laugh.gif

I wear a Seiko. I have friends in Tanglewood and River Oaks ( good sections of Houston ) that wear Casios!

Sales can be fun and not always be this brutal.

Yeah, Honestly I've been pretty lucky in sales to not have any terrible products or psycho managers. I've had some psycho regional managers but I don't have to see them much. If I had to deal with the above I'd probably go work for someone else.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas in this thread folks. I just started working in sales and it's occured to me that I only somewhat actually believe in the product and would never pay retail for it, hence me alway pointing out the problems and referring people to what's on sale. Alright, attitude adjustment in the works.

johnshaw

Reaction score

I love sales with a passion. There is something brilliant about taking money from someone, for something they don't need and them still thanking you for the pleasure. I started out in telemarketing in school, then moved to Fine Art during a gap year and now I'm working as a salesman for a high-street retailer. Once you can sell over the phone, you can sell anything. Once I realised I could do it my life turned around. You can ask any girl you meet out for a drink, you can wrap any sales clerk around you little finger and talk your way out of almost any trouble. Learning to talk to people in a way that makes them want to give you their life savings is possibly the best skill a man can have. Keep plugging away at your Telesales job, its bloody hard work, but once you've learned the skill, the world should be your oyster.

Awesome post. How does one learn to talk to people like you have described. I'm in sales too! Look forward to your response very much!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads