• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to clone/replicate a pair of pants from just basic measurements

wholecut

Reaction score
I have a favorite pair of pants, which fits right in all the right places. I will be traveling internationally but would prefer not to travel with aforementioned pair of pants. I will, however, be bringing other pairs of pants(that don't fit quite ideally), for the following purpose:-

During my travel, I intend to visit a tailor and have these other poorer-fit pants altered to the dimensions of the favorite pants.

My questions are:

1.) Is it possible to have those poorer-fit pants altered if I give the tailor just the dimensions (I know I can get myself measured but why risk it when I already have my favorite pair with a fit I love)?
2.) If so, what dimensions should I take of the favorite pants?
3.) If #1 above is not feasible, is it then possible to present the favorite pants physically to the tailor, so that he/she can alter the other pants to be like the favorite pants?

Thanks!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From basic measurements? Probably not.

From a greatly expanded set of measurements? Sure. One can describe an object to pretty much any degree of accuracy desire, given enough measurements. (Please, nobody play the pedant and unnecessarily muddy the issue with talk of Heisenberg and uncertainty.)

As for your question #3 - giving your favorite pair of pants to your tailor, with instructions to alter your other pants to fit exactly like them - the answer's "perhaps."

Assuming your tailor is willing to work this way, the great-fitting pair and the not-so-great fitting pair may be constructed sufficiently differently from each other that altering the latter into a "clone" of the former would require work so significant as to be impractical for material or financial reasons.

As for your question #2 - what measurements should you take? - I'd advise you to find a tailor willing to do the work, and in whose abilities you have some confidence. Then ask him which measurements you should take.
--
Michael

TiberiasUSA

Reaction score
Depends on the tailor, also depends how the other pair of pants fit. It it's just off a little and needs small tweaks, then no problem. If it's way off, they can possibly recut the pants, however the cost most likely wouldn't be worth it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads