• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leguleio

Reaction score
I did not read the previous 67 pages, but I was wondering if it has occurred to anyone that our friend who wrote the first post, mussel, may be working in the funeral business. In that case, I would find a black suit perfectly acceptable and appropriate.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leguleio
I did not read the previous 67 pages, but I was wondering if it has occurred to anyone that our friend who wrote the first post, mussel, may be working in the funeral business. In that case, I would find a black suit perfectly acceptable and appropriate.
Clearly.

JonasAberg

Reaction score
For me, the number one reason to avoid black suits is that it seems to be the uniform of recently (like today) graduated high school students. That's why I avoid wearing black suits during spring and summer (also because it never really gets dark around here during summer).

On the other hand, during the winter months, we have almost eternal twilight/darkness so black is more acceptable.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more conservative grey or blue suits go well with just about any shirt / tie mix imaginable.

The black suit is far more limited regarding shirt/tie combinations. A plain white shirt or even lighter coloured shirts such as light blue or yellow do not hold up particularly well in a business environment. The black suit, in some sense, gets carried by the shirt rather than the suit carrying the shirt.

That said, I wear a black suit occasionally to work. I usually combine it with an edgy "vintage looking" shirt such as some of those by Etro. With a "vintage looking" tie, the black suit holds up well.

I for one hate Navy or Blue suits, I look in the mirror when I put one on and see a poorly dressed bastard. I generally prefer the darker shades of grey when it comes to suits.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I occasionaly wear the black suit to work. It think it is funny how many compliments I get on it. I think the starkness off it makes it very noticeable.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I occasionaly wear the black suit to work. It think it is funny how many compliments I get on it. I think the starkness off it makes it very noticeable.

A black suit can look wonderful. I do not wear one as much as I would like only because:
1) I stick out like a sore thumb at work where 50% wear navy or navy pinstripe suits, 30% stick with greys/grey pinstripes, and rest wear a sport coat / different coloured slacks mix.
2) It is hard to make a black suit look formal rather than dressy when the sun is blazing outside. Shirt and tie selection is key to making it work.

That said, I love black suits, and wear a black blazer with jeans/chinos at least once a week.

Lex Diamonds

Reaction score
So what exactly is meant by a "black suit?" Are we talking about a solid black suit or a black suit with a pinstripe, window pane design, etc? I'm just curious b/c I think more can be done with a black suit with a design in it that can automatically make it look a lot less formal and acceptable than the solid color suit.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im thinking were talking of solid black suits. I suppose a black suit with tonal black stripes would also be on many people's list of "evil suits to wear to work".

Black pinstripe is not generally looked down upon like solid black.

Black with Windowpane design - I would like to see that. Blue stripes or charcoal stripes / plaids might be an interesting combo.

KOTF

Reaction score
Black is definitely acceptable. I see it all the time. But whether it's stylish, fashionable, or looks good is another question.

Legal Eagle

Reaction score
Interesting thread, and some valid points within its many pages. Personally, I tend to dress toward the Trad side of business and formal dress, and I do not own a black suit. I also work as an attorney but in West Michigan (read, not exactly the hotbed of fashion). Now, I do occasionally see an attorney wearing some black JAB, ill-fitting, three button suit, but they usually are also wearing some tone-on-tone, red, Van Heusen boxed gift set shirt and tie combo that looks like sin. The ONLY time I would think about wearing a black suit is to a funeral. Period.

For work, I wear many kinds of suits, patterns, and colors, but never black. If I go out of the evening with an open collar and suit, I make sure it is solid navy or solid charcoal, not black. I am also getting married this fall and am going the informal route at the bride's request. As such, I will be wearing a peaked lapel, three piece suit, in either oxford grey or dark charcoal grey, but NOT black. If I wanted to go black, I would have gone with a tuxedo, but I'm getting married in a church, and during the daytime, so there is no way a tux is going to work. Morning dress or a stroller yes, but not a tux.

Now, as for evening formal events, if black tie is required, you wear a tuxedo. I think there were a plethora of celebrities last night breaking all sorts of rules, wearing black suits and ties when they clearly should have been tuxedos and bowties. I'm also not a fan of the black tuxedo, black shirt, and black tie look either (ugh hum, George Clooney on several occasions, Christian Bale last night Oscars). I think wearing a black suit always reminds of a pseudo tuxedo, and I am always looking for the satin black stripe on the side of the leg.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, I've never worn a black suit at work, however when the occasion calls for it, I wear a tux.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With 1018 responses surely this thread does not need to be resurrected? All that can be said has been said and extra comments are surely a waste of bandwidth?

Vates

Reaction score
Best thread ever !
Don't let it go to waste ;)
It is also very useful to know who's getting old and who was born and bred during the Tom Ford / Slimane decades.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackPo