• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irrational Phobias or OCD-ness

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being late to something, even if it is trivial.

Door handles in bathrooms. Upon leaving, I use a paper towel to open the door if I can, cuz I know how many disgusting people have pissed or shat and then walked out that door sans handwashing.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the not so distant past, I was unable to open door handles (even in my own home) with my bare hands. Also could not eat/drink if someone touched my food or glass. I washed my hands at least 3 times an hour, maybe more.

Had my most recent nervous breakdown when I saw a bunch of moths in my lakehouse living room. I felt like I was being attacked. For a good 15 minutes I was prostrate on the floor, barely able to breathe and whimpering like a dog!

Thanks to Prozac I am now worry-free.
bigstar[1].gif

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the closest thing to OCD-ness that I've got is my penchant for taking showers. I ALWAYS take two: one in the morning and one before I go to bed. I'll take a third if I break a sweat at all during the day.

Originally Posted by warlok1965

Door handles in bathrooms. Upon leaving, I use a paper towel to open the door if I can, cuz I know how many disgusting people have pissed or shat and then walked out that door sans handwashing.

I do this all the time. I don't consider it irrational or OCD though - just basic hygiene.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I think the closest thing to OCD-ness that I've got is my penchant for taking showers. I ALWAYS take two: one in the morning and one before I go to bed. I'll take a third if I break a sweat at all during the day.

I do this all the time. I don't consider it irrational or OCD though - just basic hygiene.

this is just good hygiene, not ocd

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
Add me to this list.

Originally Posted by Connemara
Had my most recent nervous breakdown when I saw a bunch of moths in my lakehouse living room. I felt like I was being attacked. For a good 15 minutes I was prostrate on the floor, barely able to breathe and whimpering like a dog!

Thanks to Prozac I am now worry-free.
bigstar[1].gif

This is pathetic, Mike.
Even for you.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy

You just made every French person that reads that scream in horror.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I don't like flying insects indoors (other than flies and tiny things). Outdoors I don't really mind. I have fought and won two battles in my life against giant, flying, bee-like black things in my house. They were both easily 1.5-2" long, fat, and made thumping noises when landing on/flying into things. Perhaps they were just large bumble bees, but I was always under the impression that bumble bees had some yellow on them. These were all black. Nasty.

I also don't particularly like heights, aka climbing a tall ladder, but can stand atop a tall building without issue. Even so, I've done some ropes courses and such in my life.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i really detest roaches, silverfish.

we have the occasional silverfish and when i find one, i destroy it with tissue but i still wash my hands in scalding hot water and soap for about a minute because i feel i am infected with some silverfish cootie.
i hate roaches, we dont have an issue with that, but my heart skips a beat when i am walking down a sidewalk nearby a restaurant and you see the scurry of roaches on the sidewalk late at night.

i dont mind spiders at all. i actually like them. i never kill one, just pick them up with my hand (scoop it up with my hand) and bring it outdoors.
even if i were lying down and see a huge one next to my head, i dont freak out.

i think it has something to do with the spider character in James and the Giant Peach when i read that in grade school, the explanation of spiders and killing spiders in that book stuck with me to even now in adulthood. i never took spiders as a vermin or insect (they arent insects anyways) and always just considered them little benign characters.

clarity

Reaction score
Any tall heights, specifically looking over the edge of a dropoff, cliff, building, balcony or something similar.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
You just made every French person that reads that scream in horror.
lol8[1].gif
The sad part is I'm half French. I'm an embarrassment to the motherland!

Standard Toaster

Reaction score
I have quite a bizarre one. If say for example I'm wearing a hooded jumper and using public transport, if I see someone looking at me I always think, "ahhh! have I left a sock in my hoody from when I did the washing?". Then I'll sit still, waiting for them to look away before I can check.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly strong fear of heights, but really enjoy roller coasters. kinda weird

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are these really phobias? I imagine somebody with a phobia shutting down completely at the sight of a spider. Not being able to move or speak and breaking out in sweats. Or Conne's door handle thing.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Are rattlesnakes not considered dangerously venomous? I thought young ones were. Anyway, snakes are my one real fear.

I realized after I wrote that that my language was infelicitous. Of course, rattlesnakes are dangerously venomous (and their venom has been becoming much more virulent in recent decades). So are cottonmouth moccasins, copperheads and coral snakes among North American snakes.

However, it has recently been discovered that just about all the colubrid snakes--garter snakes, gopher snakes, king snakes, racers, all the snakes we were told were "harmless"--are in fact mildly venomous. They just don't have enough of a payload to harm a human--usually. There was a strange incident locally many years ago in which a boy was bitten by a garter snake and displayed classic symptoms of envenomation. Scientists were baffled. It was thought that it was some kind of allegic reaction to the snake's saliva. Now we know better.

I have heard the claim that the venom of young rattlesnakes is more toxic than that of mature ones, but I don't know if it's true. Much more important is the amount of venom injected. For example, the Southern and Northern Pacific rattlesnakes have much more toxic venom than the Western or Eastern Diamondbacks. However, the latter are much bigger snakes, have longer fangs and more aggressive temperaments, so they typically inject a lot more venom and are definitely more dangerous snakes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads