• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iq quiz pt2 for smart asses

ikemen

Reaction score
You have 10 chests of gold bars in front of you. Each chest contains 10 gold bars. One of these chests contains defective bars that all weigh 10.1 kg, rather than the standard 10kg.

You have a weighing scale, but you are only allowed to use it once and you can only read the weight on the scale once.

Qn: How do you find out which chest of gold bars is defective?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Call up my brother, ask him to swing by with a scale and weigh 1 bar in each chest and tell me which chest had the defective bars!
Next!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is an old one. They are actually chocolate bars.
Next!

Last edited:

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take one gold bar from the first chest, two from the second, three from the third, etc. and place them all on the scale. The number of tenths of kilograms the total mass exceeds 550 kg is the number of the chest that contains the "defective" bars (though I don't know how gold bars can be defective by containing more gold.)

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Take one gold bar from the first chest, two from the second, three from the third, etc. and place them all on the scale. The number of tenths of kilograms the total mass exceeds 550 kg is the number of the chest that contains the "defective" bars (though I don't know how gold bars can be defective by containing more gold.)

:slayer:

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a puzzle I thought of… a farmer digs 60 pits in the ground in a big circle.

If he chooses an empty pit, drops an apple seed in it, and drops an apple seed in a pit immediately adjacent to it, and then chooses another empty pit, drops an apple seed in it, and drops an apple seed in a pit immediately adjacent, and repeats this process, he is able easily to place apple seeds in all of the pits without placing more than one seed in any one pit.

If he chooses an empty pit, drops an apple seed in it, and drops an apple seed in a pit two spaces away, chooses another empty pit, &c., and repeats this process, he is also able to place apple seeds in all of the pits without placing more than one seed in any pit.

He finds, similarly, that he is able to do this by following the same proceedure, only spacing the pairs three spaces apart. (Boy, this farmer sure seems to have a lot of free time on his hands!)

However, by spacing the the pairs four spaces apart, he is unable to place apple seeds in all the pits without placing more than one seed in any pit, no matter which way he does it.

For how many other spacings, under 60 (a full rotation), is this feat impossible. Why?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Here's a more difficult one: why is it that despite Tagutcow's good looks and vast intellect can't he get a date?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ Here's a more difficult one: why is it that despite Tagutcow's good looks and vast intellect can't he get a date?

Are you hitting on Tagut, Neo? Because you better not be. I will be so pissed at you if you are.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sadly, I fear even Christopher Langan himself would fold like a house of cards before a mystery of that magnitude.

Are you hitting on Tagut, Neo? Because you better not be. I will be so pissed at you if you are.

JER - RY! JER - RY! JER - RY! JER - RY! JER - RY! JER - RY!

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Connemara, GQgeek, and Thomas are sitting on a fence. Piobaire walks by holding a plate of sausage. Who is left sitting on the fence?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads