1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone in Suit Jacket Pocket...How to stop the weight drag on one side?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by robertargyle, Aug 9, 2011.

1. robertargyle

robertargyle New Member

I'm a fairly slim guy, so I don't know if this has to do with my build or not, but in some of my suits, my iPhone which is slightly heavy pulls down on my jacket ever so slightly that it feels uneven on one side. It probably isn't very noticeable to others, but to me it is.

Is there a particular way that suit jackets are constructed to counter weight in one side, when something is in one pocket? Because I swear a couple of my jackets work just fine with the iPhone in there, and others it feels lopsided. Not sure if it has something to do with the canvasing.

I find that it's sometimes worse in my dress pants. Especially if my phone starts falling diagonally within the pocket so that it shows even more.

2. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Your Apple representative suggests you carry two identical iPhones at all times. Since manufacturing is very precise, those phones should be from the same lot. See your Apple dealer for two new phones.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it unless it really bugs you.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Yah, carry two iphones and put one in each pocket. If you only have one iphone, carry a yo-yo in the other pocket.

I mean come on. If you put more weight on one side than the other, it is going to feel uneven.

4. Wraitii

Wraitii Active Member

Cut the iPhone in two.

5. arvidg

arvidg Senior member

Wear your wallet in the other pocket. (Don't know if this works with iPhones, but it works with my HTC Desire HD. Might depend on size of wallet.)

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Are you talking about the inside pockets or the outside pockets? The outside pockets are decorative only. They are not meant to carry things.

7. robertargyle

robertargyle New Member

lol or what one of my co-workers suggested...

[​IMG]

8. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I hope this is sarcasm.

9. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

This will happen in any suit, just roll with it. I can't think of a way, short of a second iPhone & perfect counter balance, to remedy this. And even then, having 2 equal weights will cause pulling on each side.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I carry my iphone in my ass. I don't have this problem.

11. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I suppose you refer to switching your phone to vibrate as "switching to sensual mode"?

12. patrickBOOTH

Absolutely. I call it "affection" mode.

13. patrickBOOTH

Wait, I have just figured it out. You know how something like 90% of the male population has a left testicle that hangs lower than the right because of the way the vessels run or something? Just put your iphone in your right pocket to balance this out. It might do wonders for your spine.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

put a brick in the other pocket...

16. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

If it weren't for my vibrating phone I don't know how I make it through a day at work! :devil: It's the left pant pocket for me - but my Android is so thin it shows less than even my old timey motorola flip.

Seriously, with suit jackets being so damned tight these days I'd be surprised if anyone can get a phone worked into the jacket breast pocket. Even just a pocket square can throw some of my lighter weight lapels into a twist. Most of my better jackets have an interior 'ticket pocket' this is the sweet spot for the phone IMO.

17. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

My last latex jacket had the same problem.

18. exhaze

exhaze Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere on here that some higher-end suit makers like Oxxford did something about the construction of the inside pockets to alleviate this, at least visually, causing items you carry in your inside jacket pockets not to bulge out as much. Perhaps this question is better answered on Cutter and Tailor, or by jefferyd.

19. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

My suits from P Johnson Tailors, Sydney, come with a cell-phone pocket built into the lining of the jacket, which is located just behind my left hip. Comfortably accomodates my iPhone without much of a bulge.

20. shakattk

shakattk Well-Known Member

Balance it out with some whisky or mints on the other side.