• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

tanks for the info guys :inlove: so much bullshit on the innernets so I need SF to cut through it :slayer:
I think I'll do the apple store exchange now and upgrade whenever 5 comes out

Let us know how it works out for you. It was the option I was presented when mine died and I see no reason they wouldn't offer you the same. If you have any issues, try going back another day and speaking to a different rep.

blairh

Reaction score
I've been giving this Gruber/Verge 4" iPhone proposal some thought. It's a bit of a half-baked improvement as I see it. (If we assume for a second that it's coming to fruition.)

Even though a 4" screen would be an improvement without question, it actually wouldn't enhance web browsing (or apps that only operate in portrait mode only) very much. It would only provide more screen real estate with respect to extending up and down. Fonts, I'm guessing, would remain the same. (Unless the proposed new resolution, 640 x 1152, would also alter text size?)

As I've stated before, I really don't think Apple will increase the width of the iPhone. I think it was a big deal to them that they decreased the width from 3GS to 4, and I think an increase would not be something they are interested in pursuing. This of course means that any screen size increase will have to take place with the current height and width set in stone. (I guess they could increase the height only.)

We are most likely 5 months away from the next iPhone keynote but I can't help but speculate about what is in store for us.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been giving this Gruber/Verge 4" iPhone proposal some thought. It's a bit of a half-baked improvement as I see it. (If we assume for a second that it's coming to fruition.)

Even though a 4" screen would be an improvement without question, it actually wouldn't enhance web browsing (or apps that only operate in portrait mode only) very much. It would only provide more screen real estate with respect to extending up and down. Fonts, I'm guessing, would remain the same. (Unless the proposed new resolution, 640 x 1152, would also alter text size?)

As I've stated before, I really don't think Apple will increase the width of the iPhone. I think it was a big deal to them that they decreased the width from 3GS to 4, and I think an increase would not be something they are interested in pursuing. This of course means that any screen size increase will have to take place with the current height and width set in stone. (I guess they could increase the height only.)

We are most likely 5 months away from the next iPhone keynote but I can't help but speculate about what is in store for us.

Isn't this exactually what I have been saying, several times, in this thread after the design was proposed? I don't see this as good design if Apple goes this way.

blairh

Reaction score

Isn't this exactually what I have been saying, several times, in this thread after the design was proposed? I don't see this as good design if Apple goes this way.

If I remember correctly, your big gripe was the widescreen effect this could potentially take on. It's hard for me to say what exactly the experience would be like with this new proposed resolution because I have no idea if this would alter the size of text and how so.

Anyways, I'm stupid for even trying to discuss this. Who the f knows what Apple is going to unveil this fall. It honestly could just be very similar to what we have now (3.5") but just LTE and a different/lighter/better backing.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tanks for the info guys :inlove: so much bullshit on the innernets so I need SF to cut through it :slayer:
I think I'll do the apple store exchange now and upgrade whenever 5 comes out

Let us know how it works out for you. It was the option I was presented when mine died and I see no reason they wouldn't offer you the same. If you have any issues, try going back another day and speaking to a different rep.

Worked out perfectly, thanks! Walked into the Boca Raton store, swiped my $149 and walked out. Painless experience. Also picked up an otterbox so I don't grenade the thing again

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If I remember correctly, your big gripe was the widescreen effect this could potentially take on. It's hard for me to say what exactly the experience would be like with this new proposed resolution because I have no idea if this would alter the size of text and how so.

Anyways, I'm stupid for even trying to discuss this. Who the f knows what Apple is going to unveil this fall. It honestly could just be very similar to what we have now (3.5") but just LTE and a different/lighter/better backing.

Not sure what you mean by "widescreen effect." My point was always about the fact that not increasing the width at the same time as the height wouldn't provide for the benefits most people would expect out of a larger screen. Typing would still be cramped in portrait mode, reading wouldn't be improvded due to not being able to properly scale font larger, photos couldn't be displayed larger, so on... Without an even scale in size on all sides, you are not getting an improved (larger, more immersive) experience. The only things that would be improved are widescreen video and widescreen gaming. Who cares if you can display in portrait an extra row of apps on the home screen and another couple rows of tweets in Twitter? That's not what everyone is asking for when they say they want a larger 4 inch screen.

Not that I won't end up buying it at the end of the day, but I think it's a bad design decision if true.

blairh

Reaction score

Not sure what you mean by "widescreen effect." My point was always about the fact that not increasing the width at the same time as the height wouldn't provide for the benefits most people would expect out of a larger screen. Typing would still be cramped in portrait mode, reading wouldn't be improvded due to not being able to properly scale font larger, photos couldn't be displayed larger, so on... Without an even scale in size on all sides, you are not getting an improved (larger, more immersive) experience. The only things that would be improved are widescreen video and widescreen gaming. Who cares if you can display in portrait an extra row of apps on the home screen and another couple rows of tweets in Twitter? That's not what everyone is asking for when they say they want a larger 4 inch screen.
Not that I won't end up buying it at the end of the day, but I think it's a bad design decision if true.

I'm basically quoting you with respect to calling the proposed 4" screen in such a manner.

My guess is that text would actually be slightly larger and easier to read in landscape mode with the proposed alteration. And hence, a better browsing experience.

The problem, as you are also stating, is that such a change does little to enhance the portrait mode experience.

A smart man would bet on Apple not changing the screen size at all. Just throw on LTE and a lighter/stronger backing and call it a day. I wouldn't be entirely happy with just that but my guess is that it would be enough to remain wildly popular.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A smart man would bet on Apple not changing the screen size at all. Just throw on LTE and a lighter/stronger backing and call it a day. I wouldn't be entirely happy with just that but my guess is that it would be enough to remain wildly popular.
My bets are placed on Apple doing exactly this.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, I think they are going to go larger. My gut tells me that these rumors are likely true too, even if I am skeptical of the proposed design.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm on a 4, not 4s, and upgrading for the latest camera and LTE alone would be more than worth it. I'll buy it.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Who let this clown in??

blairh

Reaction score
WWDC announced. Words from Apple all but confirm a fall release for the next iPhone.

“We have a great WWDC planned this year and can’t wait to share the latest news about iOS and OS X Mountain Lion with developers,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “The iOS platform has created an entirely new industry with fantastic opportunities for developers across the country and around the world.”

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

WWDC announced. Words from Apple all but confirm a fall release for the next iPhone.

“We have a great WWDC planned this year and can’t wait to share the latest news about iOS and OS X Mountain Lion with developers,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “The iOS platform has created an entirely new industry with fantastic opportunities for developers across the country and around the world.”

That really doesn't confirm anything other then they will focus on software at WWDC. Just because that's the case does not mean we won't still see the next iPhone in summer.

blairh

Reaction score

That really doesn't confirm anything other then they will focus on software at WWDC. Just because that's the case does not mean we won't still see the next iPhone in summer.

Technically that's true, but given everything we know, and how little talk there is about a summer release on the Apple sites, I'd say the chance of it happening at this point is slim to none.

Also last year the words from Apple pre-WWDC were identical. They dropped hints that it was going to focus on software (iOS).

Like I said in the past, no one would be happier about a new iPhone this summer than me, but I seriously doubt it is going to happen. And personally this announcement from Apple all but confirms this fact for me.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Technically that's true, but given everything we know, and how little talk there is about a summer release on the Apple sites, I'd say the chance of it happening at this point is slim to none.

Also last year the words from Apple pre-WWDC were identical. They dropped hints that it was going to focus on software (iOS).

Like I said in the past, no one would be happier about a new iPhone this summer than me, but I seriously doubt it is going to happen. And personally this announcement from Apple all but confirms this fact for me.

I'm not taking a stance here. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised either way. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads