• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had my iphone 5 for two months. It's beeing having some issues, especially with its camera:

1. The camera gets stuck before the "open" of those gray metallic visuals.
2. When in camera mode, the screen gets these purple+green stripes that blink.
3. The phone freezes, approx. once per week.

This is my first apple products- I don't know how their repair service works. Will they replace my phone?

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None what you describe is normal. You can either take into an Apple store where they'll swap out for a new one, or call AppleCare and get one in 2-3 days (when the new one comes you use that box to return the defective phone).

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
My film screen covering started to bubble so I took it off. What's the best place to put a new one on? Can I just walk into Apple and have them do it? Or should I go to Sprint, which did it for me last time?

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My film screen covering started to bubble so I took it off. What's the best place to put a new one on? Can I just walk into Apple and have them do it? Or should I go to Sprint, which did it for me last time?

When I use to work at the local Apple store we had a few people that would do it if we weren't busy. That said, we weren't required to, so you might get rejected. You'd be better off hitting one of the mall kiosks that do that type of thing 50x times day. Practice makes perfect, bro.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can't apply it yourself?

That's what I did. Important thing is to make sure the screen is absolutely spotless before applying the screen protector.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I never use these things. They decrease the touch sensitivity and screen clarity. Unless you put your phone in the same pocket as your keys, it shouldn't really get scratched up. Even then, they are fairly resistant to this type of damage.

I've had the iPhone 3G, 4 and 5. Not a single one ever showed scratches on the screen itself.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never use these things. They decrease the touch sensitivity and screen clarity. Unless you put your phone in the same pocket as your keys, it shouldn't really get scratched up. Even then, they are fairly resistant to this type of damage.

I've had the iPhone 3G, 4 and 5. Not a single one ever showed scratches on the screen itself.

Somebody doesn't get out of the house/office very often.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Protip: Take care of your electronics. :teach:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is no "taking care" of electronics in the field. There is only not breaking them. My Kindle met an untimely death after being left on the front slope of a Paladin
shog[1].gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
:laugh:

Honestly, just don't put your phone in the same pocket as you do your keys and loose change and you should be fine. I use a slim case on the back that also makes the front screen slightly recessed and that helps too. The screens on high end phones like the iPhone are built well and fairly scratch resistant.

They are more useful for women as they tend to just toss their phones in a purse. Way too many random objects that could possibly scratch the screen.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I got a scratch on my phone a few months ago (its over 2 years old now). I think it happened when I crammed the phone in a backpack pocket with keys (usually I would never, but I didn't have any pockets),

I guess its an annoying little scratch, but its not more annoying than having a plastic film on my phone for 2 years before that (and I'm overdue for a new phone, so I could have a scratchless screen any day now). Probably hurt the resale value, but whats 25-50 over 2 years (minus the cost of the protectors...which I would probably replace at least once)....also, I dunno if I would even resell this phone...might just keep it as an emergency backup in case I lose/break my new phone.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
had the 5 for like 6 months now, still love LTE, still hate my battery life. Have missed a few important moments over the past few months because I had a dead phone. :(

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is no "taking care" of electronics in the field. There is only not breaking them. My Kindle met an untimely death after being left on the front slope of a Paladin
shog%5B1%5D.gif

That's very true. My Samsung Galaxy S died from a broken screen * It was in my pocket and in a case, however we were moving furniture at the time, so it must have got dinged or stressed out somehow.

* Replacement screen too expensive, cheaper to buy a new phone.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apple conference in a little over an hour. Expected to announce the iPhone 5S, a lower-end device made with plastic called the iPhone 5C and new iPads.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/8/4708072/live-coverage-apple-iphone-5s-5c-event-cupertino

We should also get a formal announcement on when iOS 7 will be pushed to the general public.

I'm likely not going to upgrade my iPhone 5 for a while, but am interested in the new iPads. If they make the Mini retina, I may just trade in my iPad 3 for one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics