• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh I didn't realize you wanted to change the font size. Thought it was about the type of font. You can change the font size. Believe this works system wide.

Settings ---> general ---> accessibility ---> large text

Apple actually has a wide range of features here for people hard of sight or even blind. There are videos floating around of blind people using these phones and the iPad because of these new features. It's kind of cool. :)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My Samsung comes with a built in security function where to open a locked phone you have to trace a pattern on the screen. Does Apple a) offer this and b) do I have to buy an app to get some security? I don't want to have to type in a password, that swipe a pattern for security is a very nice feature and easy to do one handed.

No the swipe lock is an android thing. You can set the password higher then 4 characters. I also like the feature that makes the phone securely wipe itself clean of all your data if the wrong password is entered 10 times in a row. If it ever gets stolen this helps prevent someone from getting to your data.

Also, "find your iPhone rules". It's saved ****** a couple times. :satisfied:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thank you for that. Much better.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

No the swipe lock is an android thing.

:fu: Why did I assume a phone that gets such hype would have such a simple function? :fu:

Also, "find your iPhone rules". It's saved ****** a couple times. :satisfied:

Apparently ****** is in deep need of saving. Where do I find those?

And I do NOT want to have to type in a password. What a huge PITA that is on a phone. :fu:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The swipe thig is cool. I believe it was created to help differentiate android from iPhone. I find a password works well and is likely more secure.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

The swipe thig is cool. I believe it was created to help differentiate android from iPhone. I find a password works well and is likely more secure.

Not really. The one I used was a telephone keypad and you swiped out your password. So it is basically an easier way to type out a password. Very easy to operate one handed with your thumb.

I just got off the phone with Verizon. I have to return it via the Fed Ex box it was shipped to me in. The person had no idea how I could get my old phone reactivated. I'm going to a Verizon store Monday and will attempt a return. If I can't get out of it for under $50 I'll just ride this ************* out until February and bite the bullet on a new Samsung.

I'm sorry I'm coming across pissed off. I am pissed off but only at myself for falling for the hype. I should have done more due diligence and not just assumed a phone so hyped and loved by millions would have some of the simple things Android does.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We all have preferences. iPhone has features/advantages Android does not and Android has features/advantages iPhone does not. You will never find a perfect mobile platform.

It's your thing. If you are not happy with the phone return it. All I'm doing here is explaining some areas that you had yet to learn since you are new to the platform. I'm happy with the iPhone but don't expect everyone else to be. That would make me a raging fanboi. ;)

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also pio if you do return the phone, I would urge you to look into a Nexus phone. That's google's own line of phones. Stock Android. You will get the best experience available on the platform. No ****** skins. Quick updates.

They are rumored to be showing off new Nexus phones this month. I'm excited to see what they got coming. :happy:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

We all have preferences. iPhone has features/advantages Android does not and Android has features/advantages iPhone does not. You will never find a perfect mobile platform.

It's your thing. If you are not happy with the phone return it. All I'm doing here is explaining some areas that you had yet to learn since you are new to the platform. I'm happy with the iPhone but don't expect everyone else to be. That would make me a raging fanboi. ;)

What are these features the iPhone has, that Android does not, that you like so much? Outside of being able to text other iPhone users for free (which I have unlimited texts anyway) I can't see something that Android does not have, and what's more, is equal to or superior to iPhones? I love my iPod, think it's a great portable music device, and felt the iPhone would have equal useability. I do not need my phone to be an iPod so I feel Apple's best feature is the one I need the least on my phone. The native Android email and texting client are vastly superior. The calendar functions seem about equal. For a device that I need mainly to sync with BT for use while driving, the actual phone function, and a strong Contacts, Calendar, and email client the Android comes out pretty objectively as the huge winner. I say "objectively" as obviously things like the tabbed email client, a single button "all read" for a mail box, etc. are pretty clearly superior.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

They are rumored to be showing off new Nexus phones this month. I'm excited to see what they got coming. :happy:

I was until I found out that LG is making it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
WTF, Contacts does not show pictures of people either. I loved that about my Samsung. It pulled pics from all over the place to match with folks in my Contacts without me doing anything. Sure makes finding people easier when a row of pictures are there and you just have to tap it.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

WTF, Contacts does not show pictures of people either. I loved that about my Samsung. It pulled pics from all over the place to match with folks in my Contacts without me doing anything. Sure makes finding people easier when a row of pictures are there and you just have to tap it.

you need to jailbreak and you can add the pics :teach:

examples? (srs question)

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

you need to jailbreak and you can add the pics :teach:

:facepalm:

Okay, will stop editorializing and complaining and just ask questions about this ************* to make the most of it until I get another phone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads