1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Appointment at the Genius Bar? ;)

I keep one of my iPods connected in my car. Siri works okay over the car's BT system which is cool.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Ha! Nope, this one is with Ford. :embar:

Can you activate Siri with the "answer" button on your car or do you have to do it via the phone? Last weekend I visited my family and helped my mom set her iPhone 5 up with her Nissan Murano. It all works fine except for the fact that the answer button won't activate Siri like I had hoped it would for her. She can use it to activiate voice dial just fine. Just no Siri unless she picks up the phone and holds the home button down like normal.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yeah, I have to press the phone's button to get Siri. My Benz has a pretty sophisticated voice command system and the steering wheel button will only activate that.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't find that setting brightness to auto does much of anything.

5. Jr Mouse

SYNC was designed by Microsoft and is fairly sophisticated too. Considered some of the best tech in the industry for these things. That's why I have been surprised it's giving me these issues.

1 person likes this.
  6. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Wow, haven't tried this yet! It does not work well in the RR at all.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I am constantly surprised at Rover's technology. They have simply the greatest stuff in terms of 4x4 transmissions but the rest of the dashboard tech can be way behind the times.

8. Jr Mouse

This is actually fairly common. A lot of higher end car brands fall behind when it comes to things like dashboard info-tech. Some recent Jags suffer from it, for example. It almost seems like they get worse, on the curve, the more expensive the vehicle gets. If you read reviews for cars like Bentleys and Rolls Royce it's a frequent complaint on some of the models.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

If you notice, you've named all British brands here. I think there's your answer.

10. Jr Mouse

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  11. dcg

dcg Senior member

Interesting re: working with manual brightness settings; did not know that. My manual setting is about 35-40% though, so I don't think I want to go much lower.

I don't see an option under Notifications for how long the screen turns on, but maybe it's somewhere else? My phone is usually in my pocket, so the screen turning on isn't much of a benefit. Wish I could turn that off entirely and switch to a vibration or something (although the vibrate doesn't seem very strong on iPhone; I keep missing calls).

12. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

You can throw the Italians in that list as well. :)

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sometimes not being a real baller means there's certain problems you don't have. :laugh:

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Lambo is basically using Audi's technology, which seems fairly solid.

Can't comment on Fiat or Alpha Romeo or Ferrari. I'm guessing Ferrari doesn't care that much, nor do its owners.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  15. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Pardon me?

[​IMG]

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Rover is still British, IMO. Don't forget Ford owned it prior to Tata.

17. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I don't know what "IMO" means here, the company is owned by Tata, flat-out.

That said, I was pretty much just making a joke. The tech languishing is definitely because of British (and I would argue American) ownership. Now that it's Indian-owned, I bet the tech will catch up. But it will probably be crappily done; every bell and whistle but with lousy layout. Stereotyping FTW!

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I do like to say "tata" though.

19. dcg

dcg Senior member

Late reply, but two specific instances come to mind:

1. Soon after I got my Samsung Epic, I had lunch with a fanboi acquaintance of mine. He was looking at my phone. Was not impressed. I mentioned that it had 4g (this was 2+ years ago). His response was he "wouldn't even want his phone to have that - there's no need for speeds that fast. Plus it would kill the battery. Apple thinks of all these things." Which is, of course, a ridiculous argument - when it comes to technology, there's no such thing as "too fast". There is also the fact that the 4G radio can be turned off if one wants to conserve battery. He then went on to tout the superiority of his iPhone's (I believe the 4) screen. And it was better, but only when you put both phones side by side and got very close. Soo....connection speed doesn't matter, but almost imperceptible differences in the quality of the screen do...got it.*

*I know most wouldn't agree with that, but you asked for examples.

2. You should have seen the looks I got when I returned my Macbook. I went through a few reasons why it wasn't right for me. The responses were priceless - "oh, you don't like Office for Mac? Just install parallels and use windows office!" "Oh, you don't like using a trackpad? Why don't you just buy a mouse?" "Oh, you'd like a higher screen resolution? Why don't you just buy the 15" model?" The answer is that, for my needs every one of these options amounted to additional expense and hassle to use a piece of hardware that offered me no benefit vs. a windows machine. This is not to say that the Macbook is a bad product, or that it's not the best choice for a bunch of people out there. When asked what I was going to replace it with, I said "Lenovo". The girl at the counter had clearly never heard of the brand. We are talking about perhaps Apple's largest laptop competitor here (if not, I'm sure they're top 3). Granted, this is someone who works at a retail store, but it was Apple who decided to brand these folks as "geniuses", not me.

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member