1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Really? I challenge you to go back and reread this thread. As I pointed out before, most Apple fans/product owners who have posted here have had very reasonable positions on the topic. They have not held the iPhone or iOS up as the be all, end all as a mobile platform. Have also been willing to acknowledge some of the weaknesses of the platform when they agree with them. With few exceptions, I have seen little evidence of them being condescending/insufferable cunts to others.

If anything this thread has shown the opposite of DCG proposition. How many posts were made in this thread calling users of Apple products sheep, blind fanboys and other insults? How much trolling (even of the good natured sort) has been done over it's near 3K posts? It's been very telling.

2. dcg

dcg Senior member

^Your reply was directed at Piob, but since I was mentioned I'll point out that my comments are in reference to the Apple fanbase at large, not the SF contingent.

3. Jr Mouse

Where are these Apple fans getting on your back?

Let's look at the rest of your statement:

Simple minded - apparently more than one button is overwhelming to the fanbois. Two buttons? Which to push?!? Oh no! Where do you get this? Are you talking hardware buttons? Apple believes that it's best to leave other functions to the software touchscreen. Many of the buttons are replicated there as needed. No one gets confused.
    Self important - think others care about their opinions regarding technology purchases This is a thread dedicated to the iPhone 5. What do you think is going to be the focus here? It seems to me that it's the people who don't care for Apple that want to keep sharing their opinions here as to why. There are several threads on this very forum focused on Android (and other rival mobile OS products) and I don't Apple fans doing the same in them.
    Condescending - think they're better than you because of their smart phone Where are you getting this? There is a difference between believing the product you own is better then a rival product and believing that fact somehow makes you a better person then them. I'm not seeing this attitude here.
    Cunts - pretty much a result of the above three Ok, sure.

And I believe it's a stereotype that while true for some, doesn't hold up to scrutiny on the whole.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have never touched an android phone. Do I think my iPhone is better than the android? Yes. Yes, I do. :nodding:

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

Again, I'm not talking so much about SF Apple fans as I am about Apple fanbois IRL and elsewhere online. So yes, it is a stereotype that is true for some. And those for which it is true are extremely annoying.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

On the other side of the fence, there are extreme haters of Apple who are extremely annoying.

7. Jr Mouse

I guess my point is that this is not as prevalent of an issue as the stereotype holds. Are there these people? Yes, of course. I used to have a boss who was definition of a "smug Apple user." That doesn't mean it's a refection of the "Apple fanbase at large" as you stated.

Yes.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

First, I want you to notice I advocated for a milder statement. So challenging me to find people "being condescending/insufferable cunts" does not apply to me. Your challenge to me is bogus. Why not a challenge to what I actually said? Because what I said I think is valid and valid even in this thread. People have been overly protective and glossed over weaknesses.

However, if we want to go down the "cunt" road, look at some of the replies I've gotten, replies generated from posts not directed at the person calling me names or from posts that were OTT (and yes, some of my posts were obviously OTT and/or tongue in cheek). It's been pretty funny.

9. dcg

dcg Senior member

Typical Apple fan :) :fence:

I have never claimed not to be annoying.

It's a bit like watching a religious debate. You have the cultists who believe their leadership can do no wrong (fanbois). Then you have the hardcore athiests who consider them mindless sheep (Android users). Both are irritating. Most of the population is somewhere in the middle.

iPhone 5 is the best option for me at the moment, so that's what I have. Doesn't mean I'm going to ignore it's shortcomings. Doesn't mean I don't realize that for other people, Android is the better option.

Insofar as hating Apple, I don't hate their products; if I hate anything, it's the fact that they cultivate the aforementioned culture (see the old Mac vs. PC ads). No one has ever become cool because of the computer/smart phone they purchased.

Well, apparently Samsung considers them prevalent enough to direct an entire marketing campaign towards them (as much as I dislike Samsung, I have to admit that I like the new commercial).

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yeah, the new Samsung commercials are hilarious. The guy that has his mind blown by the earphone being on the bottom is very good.

11. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I've complained about the Apple fanboi thing in the past, but I have to say the anti-fanboi thing is just as rabid and just as stupid, and it is on display in this thread.

12. Jr Mouse

I didn't mean to single you out Pio. It was more of a broad statement based on what I have seen in this thread and I used your quote as a means to get it across.

1 person likes this.
  13. Jr Mouse

Same goes with DCG as he's good people.

14. dcg

dcg Senior member

:inlove:

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

But one is far more fun to poke fun at than the other. :devil:

16. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

no, it's plenty of fun to poke at both, actually the fanbois, I've found, take it better.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I will not challenge your expertise at who can take it better.

18. Jr Mouse

I think we need to bring all the fanboy/i's together and bond over brunch.

1 person likes this.
  19. dcg

dcg Senior member

Ok, so my use of the word "cunt" was taking things a bit too far. But in my defense....it's such a fun word! And how often do you get to use it?? (Yes, I am grasping at straws here). Still, the underlying point stands (which Piob expressed much more eloquently than I).

I will happily admit that:

1. I like the form factor of the iPhone more than any Android phone
    2. It looks far prettier than any Android phone
    3. It handles group texts better than Android (and it's a complete joke that some Android phones can't do this)
    4. Battery life is vastly superior to most Android phones
    5. The screen is probably the best screen out there (I want to say it's the best, but I haven't seen all phones)

20. dcg

dcg Senior member

A fine attempt, Rouse, but I see through it - both Apple fanbois and those who "brunch" enjoy waiting in lines, so the fanbois will have the home field advantage!