• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Investment banking internship attire (MTM suits in particular)

mikeway2000

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to the forum, and I've already found so many insightful threads. However, I'm starting a thread of my own in hopes of getting advice that's a bit more tailored to my situation. I'll be starting an investment banking internship (analyst level) at a top IB, and I need help coming up with a last minute wardrobe. My goal is to be neither immaculate nor sloppy in my attire. On with the question:

1. Suit: I have 2 suits currently, but the second one may not be appropriate for work since it's got rather bold pinstripes. I'm hoping to get by with these two for the internship itself, but I eventually want to get a charcoal solid suit toward the end of my internship. Based on what I've gathered so far, I want to choose between a itinerant Hong Kong tailor (WW Chan, mytailor.com) and a MTM New York tailor (LS, Mr Ned). Are there other tailors that you'd recommend? How much minimum should I expect to pay for these respective options? I'm 5"9', 140 lbs.

2. How many of the following do I need and also what are some recommended makers? I'll be going to work every day of the week.

a) Shoes: I have one black Johnston & Murphy brogue, and I think I may get one more brown cap toe. Do I need a third pair?
b) Belts: I have one black Ferragamo belt that I got for gift. How many more?
c) Shirts: I have one suitable dress shirt at the moment. How many more? I'm getting them for $25 each from a tailor overseas, so price isn't a concern. I'm thinking about getting half in solid colors and half patterned. Is check pattern inappropriate?
d) Trousers: I have three that are definitely suitable, and two somewhat questionable.
e) Ties: How many do I need if I were to wear one everyday?

Thanks in advance!

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A third pair of shoes would probably be a good idea.

A belt to match each additional shoe color.

Checks are fine - loud shirts are better avoided. I'd use French cuffs sparingly.

In the summer, in NY, you may appreciate another suit.

Don't go to LS - I think the other tailors you're looking at should be good though Chan would be preferred over mytailor.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I was impressed by a Mr. Ned odd jacket I saw recently. The price was sure low for what the customer got.

Ludlow

Reaction score
Given the hours you are likely to spend at work a third pair of shoes might make life more pleasant. Put shoe trees in them when not in use.

Are you sure that the office is formal? You might show up to discover that everyone keeps their suits on a hanger for when they have a client meeting. What colors are your current suits?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads