1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Investment Banker/Private Equity work and casual attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oilgasBF, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

Dallas is more formal than Houston or Austin, so suits will probably be the norm. To start, keep it simple: charcoal, navy, mid grey. Get some brown oxford non-square toe shoes. Keep the ties solid and non-loud (grenadine, textured, simple stripes). Navy, Burgundy, Dark Green, Silver/Gray (non-shiny) are best. Don't venture into paisleys or bright colors (if ever) until you know the landscape.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  2. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

[​IMG]

M&A is okay, tho'.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

What did Investment Bankers do before Microsoft Office Suite was invented? (Serious question)

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Most of their days were consumed with returning videotapes.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    4 people like this.
  5. Willin

Willin Senior member

Pencil + paper + spreadsheet + calculator + cocaine.

2 people like this.
  6. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Models were penned by hand on graph paper, copies with fancy borders were made, and inserted in the pitch books.

Even one small error was absolutely painful to correct. The upside was that your MD couldn't get you to run 20 asinine cases.

1 person likes this.
  7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Mergers and Acquisitions is not a douchey field, per se. But the way the OP is presenting himself is douchey. As bourbonbasted said, you shouldn't be using these acronymns in everyday conversation. Sounds very self-absorbed.

8. oilgasBF

oilgasBF New Member

Thank you quad and kroaker for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

This thread has turned into gold haha.

9. Mattia

Mattia Member

I generally agree with Quadcammer. Dress like any respectable entry level professional until you are directly responsible for bringing in new clients for your bank. If there is an associate or vice preisdent that is well respected by the senior bankers, study that individual's attire. Once you have a book of business, wear whatever you are comfortable in that won't offend your clients and your boss.

Regarding the discussion about acronyms used in the finance world, drop them from your vocabulary unless you are only speaking with and can only be heard by others in your trade. Otherwise say you work in finance, and leave it at that. I am an investment banker, and one mistake I see rookies make is acting like they are in some sexy line of work. Investment banking is a service industry. That means you and your boss work for entrepreneurs who make more money than you and have ideas that actually drive the economy and are original. Communicating with acronyms in most industries makes you look like you are self important or out of touch with the way your clients communicate and what they think about. Either circumstance is not good for a career.

10 people like this.
  10. Audit This

Audit This Member

^ Great post Mattia.

1 person likes this.
  11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

+1, well said

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Hopefully you groom your associates and analysts to not call themselves bankers.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very astute. While I am not an investment banker I do see the value in the profession and its importance to society. Difficult to explain that sometimes.

14. lestyr3

lestyr3 Active Member

Whatever you do, don't wear suspenders. Michael Lewis got ostracized during his early days at Salomon Brothers for wearing suspenders in "Liar's Poker." Everyone thought he was incredibly pretentious. Only bosses got to wear those.

Oh, and I think Mattia nailed it. Great attitude for anyone in professional services, not just finance.

1 person likes this.
  15. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

+1000

16. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

I just tell people i work in manufacturing.... (of board papers and pitchbooks.)

17. XFactor

XFactor Senior member

+ :) Finally someone says the truth.