• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Investment Banker/Private Equity work and casual attire

mcbrown

Reaction score
"M&A" is an acceptable abbreviation, and IMO the preferred non-douchey way of referring to "mergers and acquisitions". The only circumstances in which I have seen or heard the non-abbreviated version are in the press or in marketing/recruiting documents.

"IB" is only used by clueless college students and campus career offices.

"PE" is somewhere in between.

Last edited:

mcbrown

Reaction score

I have been going through this website for a few weeks now and getting somewhat of a start up closet for my profession I'm beginning in a few weeks time.

Would anyone take the time on helping me build my closet and what to wear for this profession and life style?

I wasn't aware that there was an investment banking "lifestyle". Please describe.

Any pointers or run downs on brands, colors, types, ect would be greatly appreciated.

That is pretty much the subject matter of this entire forum. Please report back if you find the answers so that the rest of us can stop searching for them.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love the snark, but this is really very simple:

formal:

navy or charcoal suits: solids first, then stripes...leave out the POW and glenplaid
white or blue shirts: solids first, stripes later. contrast collars...**** no, you're not gordon gekko
ties: muted, navys, burgundy, dark green, grey, etc
shoes: dark brown and black if you must. possibly walnut on a saturday when you're dragging your ass to work:

Nightlife: Pajamas...you think you're going out? lol

Business Casual:

navy (sue me SF) and grey trousers. 4 season worsted for summer, regular worsted for spring/fall, flannel for winter. dark charcoal, mid grey, etc are required. Black wouldn't hurt i guess but I'd never wear black odd trousers.
Chinos of various colors
variety of shirts...checks, stripes, gingham, etc. Don't get stupid and get asininely bright colors. No french cuffs unless you routinely wear SCs/Blazers
SC/Blazer...Navy, some browns, I don't mind gray (sue me SF), etc. You can get into some herringbone, houndstooth, POW, glen plaid, etc.
shoes...loafers, brown bluchers, various brown oxfords. black if you must. Can possibly throw in some double monks.

Nightlife: your retainer...for when you're sleeping for 3 hours before you have to wake up again.

Casual:

Uh, jeans and ****???????

nightlife: uh, jeans and ****????????

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
not evil; douchey

Someone needs to come to terms with their own issues. I have no idea how 'M&A' can be construed as 'douchey'.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is pretty much the subject matter of this entire forum. Please report back if you find the answers so that the rest of us can stop searching for them.

:lol:

If you're walking to the bar on your way home, then you can play the "hey look everyone, it is midninght I'm still wearing my suit and my tie has been undone for TWO HOURS. I'm an Investment Banker (analyst)"

Seriously though, go with what Quad said and the what to wear to work thread. As an analyst or associate no one really cares what you look like. Just be presentable and don't stand out for any odd reason. You want to be known for your analysis and pitchbook crafting skills, not "hey who's the kid who wears the kooky socks"? guy. When you make VP and MD and switch to NYC then you can start getting bespoke Zegna shwag.

Last edited:

Kroaker

Reaction score
Dallas is more formal than Houston or Austin, so suits will probably be the norm. To start, keep it simple: charcoal, navy, mid grey. Get some brown oxford non-square toe shoes. Keep the ties solid and non-loud (grenadine, textured, simple stripes). Navy, Burgundy, Dark Green, Silver/Gray (non-shiny) are best. Don't venture into paisleys or bright colors (if ever) until you know the landscape.

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
Or "i-banking."
facepalm.gif

M&A is okay, tho'.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Most of their days were consumed with returning videotapes.

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What did Investment Bankers do before Microsoft Office Suite was invented? (Serious question)

Models were penned by hand on graph paper, copies with fancy borders were made, and inserted in the pitch books.

Even one small error was absolutely painful to correct. The upside was that your MD couldn't get you to run 20 asinine cases.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Someone needs to come to terms with their own issues. I have no idea how 'M&A' can be construed as 'douchey'.

Mergers and Acquisitions is not a douchey field, per se. But the way the OP is presenting himself is douchey. As bourbonbasted said, you shouldn't be using these acronymns in everyday conversation. Sounds very self-absorbed.

oilgasBF

Reaction score
Thank you quad and kroaker for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

This thread has turned into gold haha.

Mattia

Reaction score
I generally agree with Quadcammer. Dress like any respectable entry level professional until you are directly responsible for bringing in new clients for your bank. If there is an associate or vice preisdent that is well respected by the senior bankers, study that individual's attire. Once you have a book of business, wear whatever you are comfortable in that won't offend your clients and your boss.

Regarding the discussion about acronyms used in the finance world, drop them from your vocabulary unless you are only speaking with and can only be heard by others in your trade. Otherwise say you work in finance, and leave it at that. I am an investment banker, and one mistake I see rookies make is acting like they are in some sexy line of work. Investment banking is a service industry. That means you and your boss work for entrepreneurs who make more money than you and have ideas that actually drive the economy and are original. Communicating with acronyms in most industries makes you look like you are self important or out of touch with the way your clients communicate and what they think about. Either circumstance is not good for a career.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads