• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

_Nicolas_

Reaction score
Hi All,

Enjoying posting and getting feedback on the forum after a couple of years of lurking, seems like a great community! I'm English and love the classic British menswear looks but also a huge fan of Ivy Style/Preppy and trying to incorporate what inspires me from those styles and 'translates' well to the UK into my wardrobe, especially in warmer weather. Also have some Greek ancestry so some Italian styles and brands seem to suit me well, probably because they're fellow-Mediterraneans. Developed an interest in menswear 5-6 years ago after stumbling across Tanner Guzy's channel on YouTube, bought both his books and found the Refined, Rugged and Rakish Archetypes to be a very useful stepping stone, but am gradually moving beyond that now to something more individualistic.

I am fairly new to men's fashion and have been wanting to try new things to help with my mental health. So I thought I would start with my attire, maybe that can help with my outlook on my self.

I have always wanted to wear suits and casual classic men's wear but I am also very caution on what people would think on my appearance.

Dressing better definitely helps my mental health and makes me feel more together, I really hope you experience similar improvements, @De Novo! :) I think a good way of shifting to classic menswear from where you are would be to do it very gradually, not all in one go, and start at the casual end and then shift to more formal stuff. It should help you feel less self-conscious and be less of a 'shock' to people you know. You could start incorporating things like a pair of dark jeans and/or chinos, polo shirts and loafers into your style and give yourself time to get used to the addition of each new item and feel really comfortable with it.

Have a lovely Thursday, Everyone! 👍

Nick

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Enjoying posting and getting feedback on the forum after a couple of years of lurking, seems like a great community! I'm English and love the classic British menswear looks but also a huge fan of Ivy Style/Preppy and trying to incorporate what inspires me from those styles and 'translates' well to the UK into my wardrobe, especially in warmer weather. Also have some Greek ancestry so some Italian styles and brands seem to suit me well, probably because they're fellow-Mediterraneans. Developed an interest in menswear 5-6 years ago after stumbling across Tanner Guzy's channel on YouTube, bought both his books and found the Refined, Rugged and Rakish Archetypes to be a very useful stepping stone, but am gradually moving beyond that now to something more individualistic.

Dressing better definitely helps my mental health and makes me feel more together, I really hope you experience similar improvements, @De Novo! :) I think a good way of shifting to classic menswear from where you are would be to do it very gradually, not all in one go, and start at the casual end and then shift to more formal stuff. It should help you feel less self-conscious and be less of a 'shock' to people you know. You could start incorporating things like a pair of dark jeans and/or chinos, polo shirts and loafers into your style and give yourself time to get used to the addition of each new item and feel really comfortable with it.

Have a lovely Thursday, Everyone! 👍

Nick
Hi Nick, it sounds as if you've done quite a bit of investigation & learning, which is excellent. Tanner's breakdown of the archetypes is good basic analysis. It's helpful to have a basis of comparision which eventually should allow us to see beyond the 'borders' and create our own distinct style. Personally I've found that this process isn't an 'ends to means' proposition. It's a journey, an investigation that requires patience and an open mind. Dressing better makes you feel better,
I think that most of us would agree to that. More power to you & welcome to the forum!

_Nicolas_

Reaction score
Personally I've found that this process isn't an 'ends to means' proposition. It's a journey, an investigation that requires patience and an open mind.

Thanks for the welcome and I totally agree on that. Frankly, I'm not quite as open-minded as I'd like to be when it comes to menswear and I'm hoping to work on that by participating here. :) I certainly enjoy researching the subject and for me one of the most important things is to have a sense of play about the whole thing and enjoy the journey! For me, it seems to be becoming less about how I'm perceived by others with what I wear and more about how it improves my self-perception and helps me understand myself and my life goals better.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and I totally agree on that. Frankly, I'm not quite as open-minded as I'd like to be when it comes to menswear and I'm hoping to work on that by participating here. :) I certainly enjoy researching the subject and for me one of the most important things is to have a sense of play about the whole thing and enjoy the journey! For me, it seems to be becoming less about how I'm perceived by others with what I wear and more about how it improves my self-perception and helps me understand myself and my life goals better.
Being open minded requires patience. Without meaning to sound pedantic, in truth most of us need to improve our sense of self tolerance, being patient with ourselves. Begin there. Absolutely embrace a sense of play. You're on the right path, enjoy!

Enfusia

Reaction score
Hello there,

My name is De Novo (means from the beginning/afreash/anew etc) and I am from Australia.

I am fairly new to men's fashion and have been wanting to try new things to help with my mental health. So I thought I would start with my attire, maybe that can help with my outlook on my self.

I have no idea where to start heh.

I normally wearing branded t-shirts, trackys (sweat pants), skateshoes, bagy chinos (normally navy blue or black) and random jackets.

I do want to look more presentable for him. I have always wanted to wear suits and casual classic men's wear but I am also very caution on what people would think on my appearance.

Sorry for the ramble but that is a bit of me and what my brain thinks.

It is nice to meet you all.

DN.
Good day De Novo,

There are multiple studies that show that what you wear has an effect on mental health, attitude and confidence. So, this might just be a really positive step forward.

As far as what to wear.
Look towards the classics and see what grabs your eye.
The reason I say the classics is that, then you won't buy an impulse purchase only to find it went out of style before your order even arrived (joke).

But seriously, look towards the classics, find your own groove, your own style and own it.

As far as what others think. Some will love it, some won't. But everyone will have an opinion.

Don't worry about them, do your thing, let them do theirs.

90%+ of their comments are just jealousy anyway.

Welcome aboard, Patrick

ZoMarCro

Reaction score
Hi,
I am from Croatia, currently interested in classic shoes and suits.
I have two pairs of Blake stich derbies (made locally in Zagreb, BB Shoes, used to make ZEB Shoes) and looking for to expand with some Goodyear welted shoes (Yanko/Carmina/TLB Mallorca).

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am from Croatia, currently interested in classic shoes and suits.
I have two pairs of Blake stich derbies (made locally in Zagreb, BB Shoes, used to make ZEB Shoes) and looking for to expand with some Goodyear welted shoes (Yanko/Carmina/TLB Mallorca).
Hello ZoMarCro, I'm not personally familiar with Yanko. Carmina and TLB Mallorca are both excellent brands. Welcome to the forum!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads