• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

International shipping services

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Sorry...I know this thread doesn't belong here, but I would like to know which may be the overall best carrier when having things shipped from overseas and billed to your account with one of these carriers - DHL, FedEx or UPS. For example, which is the quickest, which is the most reliable, which is least expensive? Best overall? Any suggestions?

JohnMS

Reaction score
I don't know if you live by a local university, but I ship from there because they have contracts with the carriers for a lower rate. That being said, the cheapest from my location is always DHL. Usually a pair of shoes can be shipped for about $35 to about anywhere and it's 3 days to Japan, 2 to Europe from the western USA. DHL is also the least expensive from my location. It also provides tracking capabilities.

The shipper told me that FedEx in his experience is the most difficult to receive compensation for lost packages, even with insurance. Their process he says is difficult.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
JohnMS, thanks for the info. There is a college campus nearby, and a FedEx center on campus. I also have a UPS drop-off location less than a block from where I live. I'll have to take a look at DHL.

GBGB

Reaction score
I have had good luck with FedEx for documents (primarily to and from Western Europe and Japan), but I have never used them for packages.  I've also had good luck with DHL for packages from some off the beaten path places.   DHL has offices all over the world and seem to be very good with packages.  I have never used UPS for international packages, so I can't comment one way or another.  Good luck.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatchya shipping Banks?

Fedex is the most expensive and a real pain sometimes with customs. DHL and UPS are better but a lot depends on whether you are shipping a crate or an envelope. For bigger things, it is often cheaper to do it air freight from airport to airport and clear it through customs on your own. When I bring in 20 wardrobe boxes from Italy I really got raped on shipping charges due to not knowing the right tricks.

Checking with the university is smart too - Fedex rates go down with volume, like 1/3 the price for a really big account I hear. They afford that by screwing me I think :)

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
DHL is cheapest and easiest of the three. USPS is significantly cheaper still unless you are really doing some volume.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Chuck, my grandfather was thinking of sending me a few(maybe a dozen?) old books from overseas, so I wondered what might be a good(reliable) method, but not too expensive.

FCS

Reaction score
Books? Not sure what country they are shiped from, but usually postal services offer special rates for books.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've received overseas packages (from Britain) via UPS, USPS (sent from Britain via Royal Mail), and DHL. The most satisfactory for me has been USPS. I have no idea what the experience was like for the sender, but my USPS/Royal Mail packages have gotten here faster and have had fewer hassles than either UPS or DHL.

(As an aside, does anyone else have negative reactions to UPS for domestic shipping? In my experience, it's been slower, more expensive, more unreliable, and more frustrating than either the USPS and FedEx.)

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yep, I'm not a UPS fan. Very slow, and the customer service is as bad as FedEx. The only way to get worse service is to stand in line for an hour at the post office
smile.gif

nyeko92

Reaction score

to/from Europe, DHL is the best, however Parcel Post is better still if you are shipping something small (up to 2 pair shoe example). Sartorialsolutions, why don't you use a forwarder? I use OTS and they do a great job. Send me a note and I will give you info if you want.

send the info of the forwarding Service please :)

jbayrock

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience/ideas/genius into shipping a pair of shoes from the US to Australia? Looking for most cost effective. Looks like USPS is coming in near $50-60. Anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads