• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inspiring Personal Stories.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
you might recall that, six years ago, i was a dead man walking.

and then, a bit over five years ago, i finished a six month round of chemo.

i was weak, i was sick, the hair that hadn't fallen out had broken off and the few that hadn't broken off were thin and straight. you might recall i kept it about 1/8 inch long....it seemed to minimize the damage....although maybe that was just the damage to my pride with being so weak and all.

but its five years later and i'm still stompin on the terra...my hair is mostly back to normal...thick and curly...my health is mostly back to normal. i'm strong, i'm vital and i remember, every day, that this is all a gift. it's all a freebie. a little more one way or the other and i'd already be dead or i'd be sitting in a hospice somewhere waiting for it.

it's five years later...

i'm working pretty hard with the payroll conversion and the banking changes, and you KNOW that managing this department is like trying to herd cats. but it's cool work...i have to be on my game and i always love that part of it.

and after work i'll go home, open a beer, chat with rox about how our days went, discuss the kids or our plans.

this weekend i'll do some house project or work on my hobbies or go to the library or maybe just kick back and read some fiction.

sunday i'll send the colts valuable psychic advice and watch them win another game.

maybe this beeper on my hip will go off and i'll save somebody's life. or maybe it'll go off and i'll get up at 2 a.m. and some woman will insist that i take her 9 year old to the emergency room for poison ivy. either way, i'll flip up the siren for a second...just because i can.

and in a couple months franti will come back around and i'll dance with reckless abandon with my family and friends.

and then summer will come and i'll fish and spend good times at the lake with more of my family and friends.

and each and every one of those things is precious to me. every thick curly hair on my head is a reminder. every rain drop that slaps me in the face is a reminder: this is all a gift.

i could hit 'send' on this email, have a massive heart attack and fall down dead and i still got all this extra time. i still got to hang with you guys, my wife, my kids, my friends, my ambulance buds. i got all these extra days and they've been good....outstanding, really.

so i guess that's it. poke your fun...make your jokes...but know that i'm here with you and i'm very, very thankful for that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads