• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Initials in MTM shirts?

Mecnun

Reaction score
Do initials in the cuff of a MTM shirt look elegant or "show-off"ish? Do typically the initals fade away after usage?

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I think it's a bit showy and generally reflects poorly on the wearer. I don't think the letters will fade, as they're typically sewn in (correct me if I'm wrong).

If you're going to go with intials, put them on the inside near the yoke or something discreet.

Eskie

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about initials, but I agree something discreet is best. If you do opt for initials, something in a small type, with a tonal thread rather than contrasting (which stands out far too much), can be perfectly acceptable. YMMV.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And definitely do not do the cuff if you are going to do a monogram. Lots of other better places.

maverick

Reaction score
I think there is no reason not to have them inside the yoke, and no reason to put them on the outside of the shirt--this only serves to let people know that you have a monogrammed shirt.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mecnun
Do initials in the cuff of a MTM shirt look elegant or "show-off"ish? Do typically the initals fade away after usage?
Do not bother with your initials. Have your full name, including middle name, sewed on. Throw in your phone number and social security number for good measure.

Hanseat

Reaction score
I put in another vote for the inside of the yoke.

I can add pictures of yoke and self-color tomorrow.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit of a good MTM shirt should be your 'signature', not some exposed letters identifying the shirt as yours. Monograms on the outside, to me, ruin the lines of a nice shirt.

Nothing wrong with having the inside of the yoke monogrammed though.

Hanseat

Reaction score
A fun thing that one could do (as a lovely littel quirk as any dandy has) would be to pick out shirts of one's extensive wardrobe (I think starting at 70 shirts and going from there) and designate, say, 10 to each day of the week.

Then put the abbreviation of the day in a nice, noticeable color on the cuff (soemone that knows you is aware that you're not MON the one day and TUE the other day). That way you can hang tham in your closet and pick a MON shirt on monday, whcih makes the whole deciding-processa lot easier.

I think I read that somewhere, but don't ask me where.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find the inside of the yoke to be a really stupid place for a monogram.
I do not know who decided to put it there, but i don't get it. Back when monograms were done by hand it may have been ok, but today they are sewn in by machine. There is usually a backing and lots of thread.

I perfer a smallish monogram in a matching shade about even with the 4th button.

I don't usually monogram my own shirts

Carl

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A monogram, if any, should be placed where it can be seen when the shirt is on a hanger. That way the cleaners can spot your shirts easily if mixed in with someone else's. This has helped stop my shirts from going home with someone else on more than one occasion. Monograms inside the yoke don't help in this respect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads