• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inis Meain knitwear

IrIr

Reaction score

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 115

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selling an Inis Meain sweater. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions!

Ecru Aran Turtleneck Merino & Cashmere

Size S (but fits more like an M)
Chest: 21.3'' / 54 cm
Shoulder: 17.3'' / 44 cm
Sleeve: 24.4'' / 62 cm
Back length (BOC): 25.6'' / 65 cm
$250 shipped obo

_MG_2125.jpg
_MG_2126.jpg
_MG_2127.jpg
_MG_2128.jpg
_MG_2131.jpg

JohnFM

Reaction score
Anyone know if the latest grey Donegal runs a little smaller than past Inis Meáin sweaters? I have an older navy Donegal that measures bigger and may have a slightly looser weave (so stretches more). I've always been an L in Inis Meáin, but wondering if I should size up to XL in the grey.

gurakshun

Reaction score
@Easily Amused Is it possible to shrink a linen tunic by a full size using the cold water wash + high spin technique? I recently purchased my first ombre tunic in the pattern that I wanted, but it was only available 1 size up above my normal size. In your collection, are all of your tunics the same size and tts for you?

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Easily Amused Is it possible to shrink a linen tunic by a full size using the cold water wash + high spin technique? I recently purchased my first ombre tunic in the pattern that I wanted, but it was only available 1 size up above my normal size. In your collection, are all of your tunics the same size and tts for you?

You can try that, it may be more like an in-between size though. Take a look two pages back, I've included my methods for shrinking linen tunics.

surrender

Reaction score
Selling an olive green linen/silk Inis sweater, size M, only worn once! $250 shipped CONUS, but I'm open to offers.

Measurements:
P2P: 20.5"
Length: 24"
Shoulders: 17"

1650719878148.png

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question for the IM experts here: I bought this alpaca piece used a couple of years ago for like $75 from somewhere random and, out of more than 20 IM pieces--all of which have cost quite a bit more--it has become my favorite. Does anyone know what this is called? It's obviously related to currently existing styles, but doesn't seem to have the same fit (or exactly the same design) as anything similar available now. Fit is extremely boxy with one large dropped chest pocket.

In short, I'd love to find one or two more of these in different colors and/or fabrics, and knowing the style name might help in that search.
IM alpaca cardigan.jpg

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question for the IM experts here: I bought this alpaca piece used a couple of years ago for like $75 from somewhere random and, out of more than 20 IM pieces--all of which have cost quite a bit more--it has become my favorite. Does anyone know what this is called? It's obviously related to currently existing styles, but doesn't seem to have the same fit (or exactly the same design) as anything similar available now. Fit is extremely boxy with one large dropped chest pocket.

In short, I'd love to find one or two more of these in different colors and/or fabrics, and knowing the style name might help in that search.
View attachment 1783633
It looks like the shirt jacket

They are constantly adding and updating their styles, so depending on how old this piece is, it not be an exact match.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like the shirt jacket

They are constantly adding and updating their styles, so depending on how old this piece is, it not be an exact match.
Thanks for this!

Yeah, I think you're right that it's almost certainly an ancestor of the shirt jacket--although (based on my limited knowledge of the history of IM tags) likely not too old. That's the closest comparable I've found, and I've bought a couple in different sizes to test the relation. But it's just such an incredibly different fit--longer and slim, with a bit of a disappointingly feeble pocket, vs wide, boxy, relaxed, with dropped shoulders and a gorgeous pocket, all wrapped in a knit that screams substance. While the elements are exactly the same, there aren't really more disparate fits in the entire IM lineup. The strange thing is that the fashion market (at least on the SWD side, which might mean I'm coming at this from entirely the wrong angle) has trended more towards boxy/relaxed and dropped shoulders/pockets, so it's unfortunate (for me, but likely for no one else) that IM decided to adapt their pattern to suit the opposite angle. (And yet they do so often get this right. Look at the relaxed jacket cardigan that NMWA carries, for instance.)

I think I was just holding out hope that there was something other than the shirt jacket out there, while knowing that the shirt jacket is now the thing.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tag is unusual. Was it a special piece for a retailer?

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tag is unusual. Was it a special piece for a retailer?
It doesn't indicate as much on any of the tags, but I bought it used a couple of years ago from a second-hand clothing store in the UK, so can't say for certain.

Here's a quick fit pic - with all apologies for the mirror (in addition to the poor lighting) that I've only now just noticed is so, so dirty. To give you an idea of how beefy this thing is, my typical IM size is XL and this is a size M. It changes stitches throughout, but the main knit is a bobbly basketweave-type stitch. These shoulders in particular are just incredible, and I love the big arms and the placement of the pocket.

Anyway, I promise to stop rhapsodizing about this non-existent sweater now. I'm actually in Ireland in just over a week, so perhaps I'll take a detour to Inis Meain and wave this sweater at the talented people there until they either make it for me or kick me off of the island.

IMG_5412.JPG
IMG_5415.JPG
IMG_5423.JPG

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I've never seen that tag. The current centered logo tag has been in use since at least 2012 so it may be from before that - or for a retailer (but it would usually have the other logo)

910DB8D9-F1A8-4646-9599-E77B57635DE0.jpeg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@zenosparadox your label is vtg , pretty sure i've thrifted that same tag in the past .

a couple of plates from a 1919 yarn catalog , you can see the same balanced fabric (looks like seed stitch or the like in your example) the drop shoulder , button complement , and collar

20220423_170525.jpg 20220423_170536.jpg 20220423_170545.jpg

inis meain isn't that old (70s?) but the concept of that knit is . when you see a turned - not ribbed - hem and cuffs , or a balanced fabric whether ribbed or seed or garter , whatever , that's an oldskool knit jacket

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@zenosparadox your label is vtg , pretty sure i've thrifted that same tag in the past .

a couple of plates from a 1919 yarn catalog , you can see the same balanced fabric (looks like seed stitch or the like in your example) the drop shoulder , button complement , and collar

View attachment 1783772 View attachment 1783773 View attachment 1783774

inis meain isn't that old (70s?) but the concept of that knit is . when you see a turned - not ribbed - hem and cuffs , or a balanced fabric whether ribbed or seed or garter , whatever , that's an oldskool knit jacket
Wow, this is great - thanks so much for providing all of this info and archival material. Time to send a mail order into Columbia Yarns!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads