Inis Meain knitwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JohnnyLaw, Jan 11, 2011.

1. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Inis Meain gets the occasional mention around here but I think the brand deserves its own thread. From what I understand, they offer a wide range of knitwear in wool, cashmere and linen. Everything is made in Ireland and the quality is exceptional.

The only online retailers I know of are My-wardrobe, Nitty Gritty, Hartford York and A Suitable Wardrobe, all of which have a very limited selection available through their webstores.

I just picked up the "Raphoe" Donegal cardigan.

[​IMG]

Discuss.

2. zissou

zissou Senior member

DId you get yours from Mywardrobe? They had a really nice 50% off sale, and I was tempted to buy the cream crewneck. But, I really wanted a rollneck. I just ordered the roll neck from Nitty Gritty and am patiently waiting for it to arrive. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure that the Aran sweaters that Axel's is selling are Inis Meain, but they are steep!

3. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Yes, I bought it from My-wardrobe. 30% off. Compensated for shipping and duties.

Nice Aran. Did you size up? The Raphoe runs a bit small so I sized up to a medium. I think a looser fit works well for that kind of chunky knit.

4. zissou

zissou Senior member

I went with a medium, which is my 'normal' size. Jet had measurements and it seemed like it would work. Looser fit on knits looks kinda dumb on me because I'm tall and thin, so I'm hoping this one is fairly fitted. Merino always stretches anyway...

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

Yes, I bought it from My-wardrobe. 30% off. Compensated for shipping and duties.

Nice Aran. Did you size up? The Raphoe runs a bit small so I sized up to a medium. I think a looser fit works well for that kind of chunky knit.

This cardigan is humongous according to what I was told.

6. nonissue

nonissue Senior member

There was recently a thread about another Irish Aran knitter, but it was more reasonably priced. Does anyone remember what it was?

7. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

They don't even make size S [​IMG]

8. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

This cardigan is humongous according to what I was told.

The Raphoe isn't humongous. Here's how the M fits me (36" chest).

[​IMG]

9. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

There was recently a thread about another Irish Aran knitter, but it was more reasonably priced. Does anyone remember what it was?

Might have been Howlin by Morrison, but there are a bunch of more affordable options.

They don't even make size S [​IMG]

Nitty Gritty stocks some models in size S but they were made expressly for the shop.

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

Nice fit on the cardi! It'll be interesting to see how the M rollneck fits me- 39" chest. Although, like I said, knits always stretch a bit...

11. delakingois

delakingois Senior member

12. zissou

zissou Senior member

^They just dropped the price on the two fair isles to 50%!

13. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

Typically Irish that you lot can pick up Inis Meain easier than I can here in Dublin. It's the same with Donegal tweeds and knits. I spend a fair bit of time in Donegal and the lack of marketing and pride in their products makes me despair.

Me and the missus are heading to Inis Meain in May to stay in their suites and visit the factory shop. May as well kill two birds with the one stone -

http://www.inismeain.com/en/restaurant/suites1-4.html

14. robin

robin Senior member

Inis Meain has been around for awhile, but it wasn't until recently that they've refocused the brand. What sets their sweaters apart from other makers is the quality of the wools and cottons they use. All of the knitwear is made there on the Inis Meain island, while the new clothing line is all made in Italy under an agreement with (iirc) Luciano Barbera.

Me and the missus are heading to Inis Meain in May to stay in their suites and visit the factory shop. May as well kill two birds with the one stone -
    There's not too much else to do on that island! Assuming the weather's okay, it's a great place to relax for a couple of days.

15. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

Cheers Robin, that's very interesting about Barbera. Inis Meain are miles ahead of most Irish labels in terms of focus and marketing and have obviously decided that the indigenous market isn't worth the hassle.

It's the quiet and solitude that I love about remote parts of the west, south west Donegal in particular, but I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the Aran Islands despite both my parents being from way out west. Plus it's lamb season when we're going.