• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Informational Interview

mikeman

Reaction score
Next week I have an informational interview at an advertising agency. I'm looking to getting in to the account side of things.
Anyhow, I have never had an information interview. What I have gathered is that I basically kind of just talk to them about the company and where I might fit in. Is that correct?

Any pointers or things that would help me be prepared would be fantastic. Thanks.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a chance for you to find out if you'd fit with the company and where. Ask questions about what types of positions are available for different functions. Talk to them about your goals and skills. Find out if it's a good fit.

mikeman

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Do I really need to be prepared with lots of questions, or will they kind of do most of the question asking? I'm just hearing different things on different sites.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Do I really need to be prepared with lots of questions, or will they kind of do most of the question asking? I'm just hearing different things on different sites.

It's called an "information interview." You go there to get information. It's tough to get much information from an interview if you don't ask questions. There may be some type of presentation to start things off, but the bulk of it will probably be question and answer. That's been my experience.

Be the person who actually shows up prepared....unless you don't care about the company/job. In that case, just stay home and watch tv.

Last edited:

mikeman

Reaction score
Alright. So I basically just want to make sure I know the company and show up with a list of questions. Cool.

AmeliaSltr

Reaction score
Please do a good home work about the individuals, company and industry. Because you will get just one chance to network with the people you're targeting and you can't afford to waste these precious minutes.

telephone and broadband packages

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an informational interview scheduled for tomorrow. Actually, that's an overstatement. I'm meeting a junior employee at a company I'd really like to work for for a few beers (he's an acquaintance of a friend). I've done these things before but it's been a while plus I'm a little conflicted about how to approach this. I'm a bit older than him (2-3 years) but have many more years work experience. So really, the reason why I'm meeting with him is to simply find out more about the company - how it actually functions, atmosphere/culture. In the back of my mind of course is how do I get my resume looked at - I submitted it about a week and a half ago. but not sure if he'll have any pull at the place. Any thoughts?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have an informational interview scheduled for tomorrow. Actually, that's an overstatement. I'm meeting a junior employee at a company I'd really like to work for for a few beers (he's an acquaintance of a friend). I've done these things before but it's been a while plus I'm a little conflicted about how to approach this. I'm a bit older than him (2-3 years) but have many more years work experience. So really, the reason why I'm meeting with him is to simply find out more about the company - how it actually functions, atmosphere/culture. In the back of my mind of course is how do I get my resume looked at - I submitted it about a week and a half ago. but not sure if he'll have any pull at the place. Any thoughts?

Some businesses have a process re resumes. A specific HR rep could handle specific departments(larger companies.) You may have to be patient. The 1 time that I pushed a resume for someone I know, I knew the HR rep(not well, but I knew her) and she said that she would take care of it.That week, she left the company. My friend's resume got lost in the mix and I don't believe she was ever called in for an interview.

The good thing is that you can pick his brain: Is a week+ a long time to not hear anything? What is the culture like(don't necessarily expect a 100% honest answer)? Does he see himself staying with the company for a while? Compensation? Hours? Etc.

Use it as an info gathering session without having the dude feel like he is out for drinks and ONLY talking about his company. Mix in some regular conversation.

Do ask him if he feels that you should reach out for someone or if he feels that the "delay" is normal....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads