• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Information on Buying Suits in Your Price Range

dirtyturk

Reaction score
A lot of time is spent discussing what the best suit is and what tailors do what etc etc. however I feel that there are a lot of casual visitors who come seeking answers to questions or looking for some simple introductory advice (before being sucked in to the sf abyss). At least this is why I first arrived, and hence this is the answer I would have liked to have seen to the questions, "what is the best suit i can get for £xxx" or "im a student, what is the first suit I should get?"

My experience after 2 years of searching in London:

1. always buy 100% natural fibers
2. importance of choice should be fit, fit, fit, constructions quality, color, brand.
3. sleeve/pant length can be altered, the rest shouldnt be. If it doesnt fit somewhere else, it doesnt fit, leave it.
4. make sure it is at least half canvassed. If you can't tell yet, try a search.
5. black is for galas, weddings and funerals
6. dry clean at most once per year

I am only going to give one option in London under each category, I think almost anyone going into each shop and comparing them should be able to see/feel the difference.

Under £100:
H&M - generally ill fitting and glued together, but on par with the average suit worn around town by 90% of the population. Great for ruining at parties.

Under £200:
M&S - less modern cuts, but higher on quality scale.

Under £300:
Suitsupply - good quality and relatively modern cuts. IMO this is the optimal price point value for money for the average person.

Under £500:
At this point you should start looking at made to measure... I won't detail too much but
Ede & Ravenscroft and Gieves and Hawkes make entry level MtM at £450 during the sales

Under £800:
Here you can start looking at bespoke and high end MtM, things become a lot more subjective in this price range. Clearly the suit is becoming less functional and more of an artistic endeavor, and this is a different topic altogether.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

3. sleeve/pant length can be altered, the rest shouldnt be. If it doesnt fit somewhere else, it doesnt fit, leave it.

Disagree with this. Shoulders and length of a jacket are difficult to alter, but there's a variety of other operations that are very common and easily done, including taking the pant waist in/out, taking the jacket in/out, lowering collar, etc...

ajmanouk

Reaction score
What's the construction like on the SuitSupply suits? Also, any experience with Wizard of Aahs? I've heard some good things about them.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree with this because you don't mention Ralph Lauren.

:p

_

No but really this is good info for the masses, especially if they are in the UK, however your price points seem to reflect what you have available in UK, and also ignore the US, Italy and France.)

£100 = $164, £300 = $493, £500 = $822, £800 = $1315

Just to put it in perspective. Suit Supply's cheapest suits start at $399. Napoli Fit, Pure Wool Super 110. They have an online shop and one in NY from what i see.)

So does anyone with experience/knowledge of these things want to compile a list that favors several countries/markets/currencies. Since the OP wants this sort of thing, however he can only deliver from his own knowledge of what there is in the UK. It would be nice to see such a 'Styleguide' for several countries as well as including Online stores.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the construction like on the SuitSupply suits? Also, any experience with Wizard of Aahs? I've heard some good things about them.

Wizard of Aahz quality is quite high for what you pay. It's only a $329.00 Suit - so you should adjust your expectations accordingly.

However, it is fully canvassed (my tailor and I opened up the lining of one to verify (Marco Valentino). Cut and construction are good - lots of little finishing details in the lining etc. etc. Fabrics are bearable - he stocks only lighter weights - spring, summer, fall appropriate.

MY alterations tailor said if he didn't know the price he would have guessed at least $750.00 retail.

(again it's only a $329 suit)

I wear them as 'beater suits' for day to day wear and save my better suits for meetings, etc. etc. (wearing one today).

dirtyturk

Reaction score
Apologies, my expertise only extends to the London market. I have no experience with Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren although they do seem to come highly recommended.

As far as suitsupply is concerned , i think they make a very nice suit for the money. Construction-wise the RTW line is all half canvassed and solidly stiched together. The fabrics are mostly VBC which is not the top end by any means, but probably good value and perfect for frequent work wear. Anything less and I'd feel cheap and anything more and I'd feel scared to ruin it. It isn't something to get married in, but definitely the best suit you can buy without going to go see a tailor. Much better than Boss, Reiss, Jaeger, etc. that you would find on the high street. Plus on site tailors means they know how far something can be altered. For example, I normally go for a short fitting, but they recommended I buy a regular and shorten the sleeves which actually turned out much better. just my personal experience...

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apologies, my expertise only extends to the London market. I have no experience with Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren although they do seem to come highly recommended.

As far as suitsupply is concerned , i think they make a very nice suit for the money. Construction-wise the RTW line is all half canvassed and solidly stiched together. The fabrics are mostly VBC which is not the top end by any means, but probably good value and perfect for frequent work wear. Anything less and I'd feel cheap and anything more and I'd feel scared to ruin it. It isn't something to get married in, but definitely the best suit you can buy without going to go see a tailor. Much better than Boss, Reiss, Jaeger, etc. that you would find on the high street. Plus on site tailors means they know how far something can be altered. For example, I normally go for a short fitting, but they recommended I buy a regular and shorten the sleeves which actually turned out much better. just my personal experience...

Oh don't worry I wasn't complaining or saying anything about the info you provided.. Just merely trying to call out the other SFers who have experiences in other countries to add to your list.

deburn

Reaction score

Oh don't worry I wasn't complaining or saying anything about the info you provided.. Just merely trying to call out the other SFers who have experiences in other countries to add to your list.

That's what I'm hoping for too

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads